Stupid Question

| Off Topic Discussions
    alloy2 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,448 Times in 1,095 Posts

Stupid Question

Any beer drinkers here.

Actually what I'm looking for is someone that makes beer and is able to distinguish taste from one species of hops over another.

Some of the old homesteads that we've explored have hop plants that have survived the years, it's my plan to relocate the plants to my own property. Once I have a mature crop with some cured flowers it would be nice to have some one brew up a batch of beer using the heirloom hops then to give a report as to flavor etc.

I suspect it's going to be near impossible to identify the species of hops that await transplanting. Perhaps just rename them as Homestead.

Any volunteers.

For those of you that have never seen the ingredient that gives beer its flavor along with those nasty beer farts. Below is one of the many plants I'm going to relocate.

2. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by alloy2:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 7,220 Times in 2,256 Posts
    No doubt Alloy you are the Renaissance Man. I am a major beer drinker and collect beer cans for a hobby. With that said, I could not tell you those made from grains, rice, or even dandelions. Cannot wait for the experts to weigh in.
    Give back more to this world than we take.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Patriot76 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Appears I live in a province with some history in hop genetics leading to England.

The plants I have found maybe one of the early varieties below.

Brewer's Gold

British bittering hop developed in 1919. Both Brewer's Gold and Bullion are seedlings of BB1 (found wild in Manitoba). Many modern high alpha hops were developed from Brewer's Gold. Has a resiny, spicy aroma/flavor with hints of black currant. Substitutions: Northdown.

Bullion

Bittering hop. One of the earliest high alpha hops in the world. Raised in 1919 in England from a wild Manitoba female crossed with an English male hop. Mainly bittering Stouts and Dark ales. This hop has a resiny/earthy aroma/flavor and can be a bit rough. Substitutions: Northern Brewer and Galena.

Bramling Cross

Dual Purpose Hop developed in 1951 by Professor Salmon at Wye College, England. A cross between the Bramling goldings variety and a wild Canadian Manitoban hop. Known to impart an "American" aroma in some strains

American Strains, 45
    English 18
    German 13
    Noble 5
    Australian 8
    New Zealand 16
    European 19

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot76 View Post
    No doubt Alloy you are the Renaissance Man. I am a major beer drinker and collect beer cans for a hobby. With that said, I could not tell you those made from grains, rice, or even dandelions. Cannot wait for the experts to weigh in.
    In the days that I would have a beer much preferred a light Ale.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to alloy2 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Who would have thought finding a few hop plants on an old abandoned farm could have turned out to be so interesting.

The Science Behind Hops Part 1 - Alpha and Beta Acids - Craft Beer Academy

Hops are a science all their own. Balancing alpha acids, beta acids, and oils all along with aroma, taste, and overall impression of a beer make choosing the right hop for your beer very tricky.

Doing this well involves knowing a few key terms.

Becoming a hop master takes a lot more information than I can give in one post, but this is a great place to start with understanding what all the information you get with hops really mean.

Here is the CBA Science Behind Hops, Part 1: Alpha and Beta Acids.

Inside every hop a balancing act is going on between alpha and beta acids.

These are what give hops the majority of their bitter flavor, along with many other characteristics that come from different styles of hops. Both alpha and beta acids are measured by percent by weight of the hop comprised of that acid

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,854 Posts
    Any beer drinkers here. - Alloy 2

Indeed there are.

Til now I never sought out what hops and malts they use for the beer I like. Did some digging an found a couple, if it's of help to you great, an if not...well you now know of several more types of Hops.

I like Flying Dog brewery. Enjoyable on a hot summer day, or even a cold winter one.

For...

Raging ***** - Warrior, Columbus, Amarillo - It's a Belgian Pale Ale.

Doggy Style - Northern Brewer, Cascade, Simcoe, Citra - A Pale Ale

21st Amendment Brewery is also another I enjoy now an then from my local store that carries it.

Toaster Pastry - Centennial, Ahtanum, Amarillo, Mosaic - India Pale Ale

Local Brewery with some good beer. Outer Banks Brewing Station. A favorite of many a tourist and local.

Some that I enjoy..

Bout Time IPA - German Pale Malt and Citra Hops

ThankyoursirmayIhaveanother - I can't find what hops exactly they use for it sadly.

An yes, that's really the name of the beer. LOL.

I only drink beer, I don't make it. An I sell my college room fridges to folks who do home brew.

Good luck!

Sirscrapalot - To the home brewers...I salute you...with a beer!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I know a little bit about homebrewing. You have some nice looking hops there, but it's anyone's guess what actual variety that they are. They come in two types: those that provide bittering and those that provide aroma. When they are mature you will notice a yellow powder inside. I forget what they call that but at that time take a hop flower and place between your cheek and gum and have a beer. Odds are that your beer will taste much better.

As far as growing them. Cut them off now and in the early spring dig up the root (rhizome) and transplant. They do best when you train them to climb a rope. They follow the sun in a clockwise fashion and will make one revolution per day. On a good day they will grow 10" here. Mine usually grow over 20 ft per year.

Have fun!
    If it wasn't for the $ in $crap, it would just be.....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RustyDollars for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 830 Posts
    This is a whole scale change from alloy's efforts to keep some of those hops plants going but it appears that others are trying to expand the production regions of hops from its Pacific NW core. But its a tough go because getting and maintaining these things isn't like growing corn or other row crops. A friend of mine is a younger professor from a state school in Illinois and sent me some Chicago newspaper articles this summer about people trying to grow hops as commercial scale operations there. It takes some willpower to get it up and running with no revenue coming in for at least 3 years. Good luck hop growers!!!

https://www.craftbrewingbusiness.com...cal-hop-farms/

13. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Stupid Ebay Question
      By CreekMark in forum Ebay Traders
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 10-04-2014, 03:47 PM
    2. mr G is right ya can't fix stupid.
      By EcoSafe in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 09-11-2011, 11:05 AM
    3. Stupid Question
      By junkyardjunky in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 04-28-2011, 06:27 PM
    4. This might be a stupid question.......
      By jk19 in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 04-25-2011, 10:58 PM

Thread Information