Bio Fuel

| Non Metal Recycling
    Catfish Bob started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Bio Fuel

For years I have been imagining/dreaming of scrap yard for something other than metal. What I imagine is a lot like a traditional metal scrap yard. Customers are lined up in their trucks waiting to pull up on a scale, dump their load,pull back on the scale, then to the office to get paid for their materials. Instead of the customers dropping of metal they are dropping off everything from crops to yard and food waste. I imagine huge buildings in the background where the materials are processed, refined and converted to produce electricity and fuel all on one site.

Pumpkin Power: Turning Food Waste into Energy | Department of Energy

https://www.chinadialogue.net/articl...fuel-and-light

2. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Catfish Bob:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    I really like the idea of the bio energy. Currently we as a country are using corn to supplement gasoline. The use of corn for this purpose has taken away from our food supply. The discussion here is using biowaste to produce energy which I think is a more positive idea.

My brother(big truck driver) and I discussed the use of bio-diesel and his major complaint that it does not work well in cold weather. Everything seems to have pros and cons and costs that may not be evident.

"At the individual household level, says Sajidas, “a one square-metre space is enough” for installation of a domestic bio-waste treatment plant. Set-up up takes just a few hours, at a cost of around $200 for a basic system. The daily waste of a five-person family, according to Biotech, can generate enough gas to operate a single-burner stove for two hours." Quote from second article

With just two people in my house I guess this means we can a single burner for 1 hour every other day. Not practical for heating,cooling our houses.

Folks in parts of India have been cooking using cow dry paddies to cook their meals which is a very direct way to use bio-waste for energy. I have to say my wife is from Vietnam and she said no to the cow paddies but wood would be ok. Not her first camp fire I guess.

I think for us in the U.S. we need first to determine the BTU value of the bio-waste then the cost of collection and processing. My city collects recyclables and sells what they can. They pick up once per week with three people on the truck. I find it unlikely that there is a profit involved but "they" justify it by saying it saves room in the landfill.

Personally I think its likely that granulating our plastic refuge using it to fuel a turbine electric generator would bring us closer to the goal.

I really like your dream of making it something owned and run by private citizens rather than just another government mistake. Keep your mind working on this you may come up with a possible solution. Mike
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

4. The Following 5 Users say Thank You for This Post by miked:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 7,220 Times in 2,256 Posts
    Ditto.

6. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Bio Mass Machine?
      By telecomguy in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 01-12-2013, 05:25 PM
    2. Spotted 2 free 500lb bio safety cabinets on craigslist