Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Well that will be it folks

| Off Topic Discussions
    ComputerScrapper started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Well that will be it folks

I have been noticing something that I really don't have time for....I joined this forum to learn and maybe help others but it seems that certain members just want to bash or flame other people over nothing. It seems that an innocent conversation cannot even happen on this site without someone jumping in with an ******* remark.

So I will take my leave...Thanks for all the new information and all that. It has been great but I really don't think that it is smart to hang around where someone cannot say something without a peckerhead jumping in.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerScrapper View Post
    I have been noticing something that I really don't have time for....I joined this forum to learn and maybe help others but it seems that certain members just want to bash or flame other people over nothing. It seems that an innocent conversation cannot even happen on this site without someone jumping in with an ******* remark.

So I will take my leave...Thanks for all the new information and all that. It has been great but I really don't think that it is smart to hang around where someone cannot say something without a peckerhead jumping in.
    If I have ever said anything to offend you, I do apologize.

I have enjoyed your posts, but can understand where you are coming from.
    George Beale - Founder & President - info@viprecyclingjunkremoval.com
    VIP Recycling Junk Removal LLC - Premier Scrap Metal, Junk, & Electronic Recyclers!
    http://www.viprecyclingjunkremoval.com

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,907 Times in 2,555 Posts
    Why would you do that? Stay with us!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Well, this brings a dilemma. I recently was deleting MANY posts from one member who would make blatantly insulting posts. This went on for quite a while and kept getting worse - to the point admin and I agreed that SOMETHING needed to be done. I asked the person to not make insulting remarks which apparently offended that person. Now we have a member leaving over "bashing or flaming". I try to at least skim every post and this was much less derogatory than the other posts.

I am open to suggestions.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 594 Posts
    Computerscrapper I hope I have not offended you tonight.

I did go looking through you posts and was reading up on how much you help the board here.

Good looking out for the sweating fumes of the board! Sorry I know that is where you make your money!
    Buy printed circuit board remove the money move on! A great biz but don't act like you are doing favors buying whole boards!!

Yes it's about the money but.....
    When the white man discovered this country Indians were running it
    no taxes, no debt, women did all the work.
    White man thought he could improve on a system like this. - Old Cherokee saying

I did not surrender, they took my horse and made him surrender. - Lone Watie

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Well, CS, if you are still reading....I guess I'm just slow, 'cause I sure didn't see that coming. I've enjoyed your posts, too and I wish you the best in this tough life.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,907 Times in 2,555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Well, this brings a dilemma. I recently was deleting MANY posts from one member who would make blatantly insulting posts. This went on for quite a while and kept getting worse - to the point admin and I agreed that SOMETHING needed to be done. I asked the person to not make insulting remarks which apparently offended that person. Now we have a member leaving over "bashing or flaming". I try to at least skim every post and this was much less derogatory than the other posts.

If a member breaks the rules of the forum then they should be restricted on what will be allowed to post for others to see.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hobo finds View Post
    If a member breaks the rules of the forum then they should be restricted on what will be allowed to post for others to see.
    Doesnt really work like that to limit someone's freedom of speech.

However, if they break the rules, they get a warning, then infraction, then bye, bye.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    C.S. you have helped out Snodley and I a lot. I personally will miss seeing you on the forum. Thank you for everything,,,
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I don't think I've really responded to many of your posts, but I have learned more about e-scrap from your posts, in the few months that I've been here, than I ever new before that. Thank you, sir.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Seriously? I've enjoyed seeing you around here, hell you've helped me out a lot on here just with simple things.

Not "flaming" or "bashing" you, but seriously, put yer big boy panties on and get over it. Its the internet buddy, please dont take it seriously...

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    I don't know if I'm one of the members you are referring to, if so my appologies. There are a number of folks on here who's opinion I respect and have no problem believing every word they type, you being one of them. Now with some of the others, I can handle several posts knowing that it's a bunch of BS and keep moving on, but at some point I just have a tough time keeping my mouth shut. I try not to be too rude about it but I'm not going to ***** foot around either.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 512 Posts
    AWWW man! That sucks. I will still come by to visit you when I get set up. You have given me ALOT of info and I really appreciate your insight man. Hope you change your mind.
    Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing.
    Thomas Jefferson

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post

You're in a tough spot, Mick, and you have my sympathy.

One of the hardest things about the moderating function is to pass judgement those things that fall into that gray area of "attitude", because in large part, they set the tone of the forum. Some forums thrive on conflict, because that's what they're there for, and that's why members keep coming back. A site like this though, which exists mainly for the exchange of knowlege, can suffer from too much conflict, or from just a few members that bring a consistently bad attitude.

I help out with a forum, and we had a member, very knowlegeable, but very outspoken, who had a way of rubbing others the wrong way. He was asked, on multiple occasions, to tone it down a little, and the result was that he elected to quit participating instead. Some others lamented the fact that he'd left, but among the mods, our opinion was that the site was better off with him gone. What it came down to was that the standards we applied, in order of priority, were, 1) What's the best for the site in general?, and 2) How much moderating time is this guy worth? (We'd been asking ourselves the second question for a few months before things came to a head, and were frankly relieved once he'd gone.)

One other result of that ordeal was that we made it a policy not to host dramas over members leaving. The guy in question posted a thread detailing why he was leaving, and when we pulled it right away, that really pissed him off. Of course, he was not the type to quietly slip out the back door when he could stomp out through the front, because, well just because that's the kind of guy he was. He didn't play well with others. Now, it's still an open question of how many members left earlier because of his attitude, and how many may have left because they thought we'd run him off. I know there were a couple of those. But you know what? The forum is still there and doing fine.

Dunno if that was any help or not...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ditchdigger for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I am a moderater at a Political Message board and we have warnings and infractions , I will say this . this board is mild compare to some , very laid back and informative!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to submarinepainter for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Sorry to see you go ComputerScrapper. You and your posts are what opened my eyes to how much money I was throwing in the shred pile.

I do understand your feelings on the peckerhead's. That is why I mostly lurk nowadays.

Also MICK, I think you are doing a great job, and wanted to thank you for the time and effort that you have brought to the forum.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Patton for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    Still trying to get my coffee down here and make sense of this thing this morning.

Computerscrapper- if you are still around, or decide to pop in and see the results of your thread, please reconsider your decision. Why? So maybe we can take your experience and learn from it.

Do we have a few problems here? Indeed we do. These come from growing. The more people that we throw in the mix, the broader diversity we get and the more diverse set of personalities we end up with. This is great as it leads us to a diverse, lively and different thinking forum. On the other hand the mix lends itself to getting people together that would normally never socialize together in the real world. When this happens, even with adults, we have to unfortunately set up rules that govern your stay here in our little scrapyard.

This brings us the admin and the moderators who have to enforce these rules. I did a search and it took me a bit, but I found those rules.
    They can be looked at here. http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/showt...ighlight=rules

After looking at them, it occurs to me that they are a little behind based on the size the forum has become and could possibly use an upgrading with a few additions. However the #1 rule is as follows.

1 - Don't insult or bash other members for any reason. If you don't have something positive to say, don't say it, you're wasting your time. We frown upon this type of negativity will zero tolerance and will likely result in us placing a temporary or permanent ban your account.

That is the most important rule that we have to not cause people to /rage quit that are perfectly good and oft contributing members. It is a bad day when we lose a contributing member due to their mouthyness, but an even worse day when we lose a contributing member due to someone else's inability to hold their tongue.

With all of this said, I admit to seeing some of this behaviour and generally leaving it alone as it typically did not spread much further. Mick however has been more diligent in this matter as I should have been. PMing with Mick this morning, we realise that the rules may need to be spelled out and defined a little more and we will be conferring with Admin to see what, if anything needs to be done about this ever growing problem that we are developing.

In the mean time, I guess we need to have a zero tolerance policy about attacking others verbally in any thread. This will go for anyone and everyone. This also needs to include attacks on nubes asking questions. I have seen some very rude responses to nubes asking questions and we need to be tolerant of them as well. Gently show them the way please. Not exactly giving them the link they want, but maybe a short instructional post on using the search feature. And a very nice post while we are at it.

Thank you ComputerScrapper for at least letting us know why you are unhappy here and we hope that we can do something to salvage things well enough for you to come back home. It would have been a huge loss to lose you and not even have a clue as to why you left.

In the words of Bill and Ted. "Be excellent to each other". And in the mean time if you can't say anything nice, don't say it. That is what your browser back button is for.
    Last edited by parrothead; 09-27-2011 at 09:09 AM.

21. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by parrothead:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts
    guess I missed something ! CS leaving the site is not the thing to do, your info is too important to those of us who never stop learning. are you always right ? probably not. None of us are, but if some one is right 51% of the time that sounds like a winning score to me, and my friend your score is way above that. Vegas was built on 2%. Is ther going to be differences here , sure there is, any one who has the gonads or what ever to venture into this business is goin to be a strong person with a strong personality, and some times opinion, with out that they wont survive. That said Opinion is one thing, personal attack is another, and if this happened then an appoligy is in order. I am a political animal and have been since the age of 10 or 11, so I have grown a very thick skin, but even at that I can and am some times offended. In any case I choose to stand my ground, but if you show me a light I may have missed, I am the first to aknowledge that. It is called learning, that is what this forum is about. Each of us can learn something from each person here, either right or wrong. I dont know who or what offended you but think of this to deprive all of us of some nugget of knowledge you have to offer would be a shame. Just my .02

23. The Following User Says Thank You to EcoSafe for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    its a shame. wish he had that "carbon-fiber skin" too
    We're the renegades of Junk!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 549 Posts
    Anybody who feels that other members are being negative, insulting or in any other way making you not enjoy your stay here at the forum, please send me a private message. Also, don't forget about the 'report post' button at the bottom of every post, each and every post/thread that gets reported will be manually reviewed.

There is ZERO tolerance for disrespectful, bashing, insulting or otherwise negative comments towards other members, PERIOD. If anyone gets caught doing any of this towards other members here which may potentially result in members feeling like computerscrapper does, you will be banned and/or deleted from the forum.

26. The Following 9 Users say Thank You for This Post by admin:

27. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. hello folks
      By nickelcity in forum Introduce yourself
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 01-03-2012, 06:31 PM
    2. Hi Folks
      By sillllvar in forum Introduce yourself
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 12-30-2011, 02:04 PM
    3. Hello folks!
      By Otto in forum Introduce yourself