DimLight started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Supposed to have high value as metal scrap - What do you think?

I got a call yesterday about an online auction in Riverside for water filtration system. The guy on the phone said that there is a high scrap metal value in some of the lots. What do you guys think? Its at westauction.com.

Not a lot of traffic, you think I can get a steal on some of them lots? Any advice?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    I have some beautiful beach front property for sale and you can view it at low tide.

Not a lot of traffic usually means experienced auction buyers know what it is worth. Until you have the experience I suggest you stay away. Then again if you can stand to loose the money jump in and get a quick education. I personally have never been involved with water filtration systems so have no idea. I do buy from online auctions sometimes and I loose sometimes. I wish you the best of luck but be cautious, Mike.
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,350 Posts
    I looked at some of that stuff and in my opinion will go way higher than scrap

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Lots of new or newer equipment all the water filtration plants and systems I have cut up in my lifetime were in much much worse condition. My only question is what stopped them from building the water filtration plant in the first place? I am guessing something didn't go right or it was a pilot project that never came to fruition. There is a ton of new equipment still in the boxes. Crazy.

DimLight started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Awesome thanks for the advice.

gustavus is offline Metal Recycling Entrepreneur
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    by Richard Hart

PALO ALTO, CA (KGO) -- Researchers at Stanford have developed a new kind of filter, a cheap and fast way to purify water in poor parts of the world and on camping trips.

In her Stanford laboratory, Alia Schoen purifies water using a new method thousands of times faster than anything previous. It uses nanotechnology and silver.

In the days before milk could be pasteurized or refrigerated, people would drop a silver coin into a bottle to preserve it. Silver is lethal to bacteria. Tiny amounts of silver are already woven into antibacterial socks, underwear and band-aids. You could build water filters out of silver, but the metal is so costly, it would kill your bank account before it killed the bacteria.

Now, nanotechnology is changing that.

It turns out that if you run a minute amount of electricity through microscopic silver, it amplifies its antibacterial powers by thousands of times. The Materials Science Lab at Stanford University is already making the first fabric batteries out of cotton infused with the hottest material in research today: carbon nanotubes.

Professor Yi Chui's team has also infused cotton with microscopic silver nanowires. A member of that team, Dr. David Schoen recalls, "What we thought was a crazy idea at the time, to combine electricity with nanowires to treat water."

The crazy combination of nanosilver and nanocarbon did the trick. It enables them to filter 98 percent of the E. coli in a water sample in one pass using so little electricity, it can run on 9-volt batteries. Professor Cui, of Stanford's Materials Science department says, "We use a tiny amount. So, it is possible to scale this filter up to a very large size. There's no reason we cannot do thousands of gallons quickly."

In fact, all the water used by one average household in a year (20,000 gallons) could be treated in just one hour with a filter the size of a kitchen sink. Safety and commercialization require still more work, but there is huge potential for poor communities.

"The biggest application," Cui is certain, "will be use in remote areas in third world countries."

What's more, with a couple of batteries, you might one day take something like this on a camping trip.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...ver&id=7677070

7. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by gustavus:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 549 Posts
    For future reference, if you ever copy/paste an article from another website here, please include a link back to it.

I added a link to a copy of the article above Gus, just keep it in mind next time. Thanks!

9. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. High metal prices are bad for business
      By Mick in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 21
      Last Post: 06-11-2016, 04:30 AM
    2. National - Scrap metal & High temp Nickel Alloy Buyer
      By americanscrapmetal.com in forum Scrap Buyers & Sellers
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 04-18-2015, 07:17 AM
    3. Replies: 9
      Last Post: 09-17-2012, 08:38 AM
    4. Replies: 22