okorkie started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Newbie: question about prices in metro Atlanta area

Hello,

I am new to this forum and I have a question about metal prices in the Atlanta area.

I have old dock for my boat that I would like to get rid of as it an eye sore and I would like to try to get some $$$ for it. Essentially it is double slip boat dock that has been on the water (Lake Lanier) for probably 20 years, so there surface rust covering all the surfaces. I don't know what this was constructed from (I apologize for using these general terms, but I guessing steel or iron).

From searching on Google, I'm looking for a list of scrap metal dealers that will pay for this. From what I see so far, I don't really see pricing listed on the web sites for steel / iron. Is this because there is no market for this? What is the current state for steel / iron? What can I expect per lb?

Thanks in advance!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    Call a couple of yards and ask their price for steel, might call it light iron or shred. Here they pay $0.11/lb but each yard is different.

Get a magnet if it sticks its iron/steel, sells for the same.

If you are not up for the challenge for dismateling it consider advertising for a scrapper to come get it. The more threads you read the more you will know, lots of free info here on the forum.

If you intend to hang out anymore I suggest you go to the introductions section and tell us a little about your self. Best of luck with your venture, Mike.
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 847 Posts
    Very few yards post thiere prices on the web, like mike said yyou have to call and ask. If the dock has rust on it .it is steel,iron would be too heavy for a dock. What was used for a float.barrels or foam? If it has foam you might take the foam off as much as you can before you bring it to the yard. Again like mike said most yards are paying 10/11 cents per lbs. Let us know how things turn out and welcome to the forum.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Prices seem to be averaging .10-.12 a lb. and if I'm not mistaken the dock usually has steel posts down into the water, maybe even concrete on the bottom where they go into the dirt/mud.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

okorkie started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanks for the info everyone! I really appreciate it. Since I have a double slip dock and a gang way (that is 35 feet in length), I'm guessing that altogether, this maybe weighs 2000 - 3000 lbs. With the value at somewhere around $0.10 / lb, I would only get $200 to $300.

I think I might be better off just contacting a scrap collector and Craigslist with a welder to come out and take it away for free. I do know when I put an ad previously on Craigslist to remove free scrap metal from my property, my phone was ringing off the hook.

Any thoughts on this???

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    First I have to question a dock made of steel. Seems more likely its make of Aluminum and perhaps discolored to appear to be rust. It is of course possible you are correct in you thought on that. Hint easy check with a magnet. If it is aluminum the price for clean aluminum is $0.50/lb. By the way clean aluminum means it has not other metals attached, as in no steet screws. Dirty aluminum is under $0.20lb here so its normally well worth the time and effort to remove the none aluminum.

Perhaps you could write the ad stating scrap metal forsale price negotiable. That would keep out a lot of people then if they did a good job and cleaned up let them have it for free. Thats if it is steel. Mike.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Some floating docks are made from galvanized steel to protect from the rust factor. It could be aluminum but it could also be galvanized and is old enough to have started rusting away.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Craasher for This Post:

9. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Looking for a Stolen Honda Civic Denver Metro Area
      By KzScrapper in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 26
      Last Post: 12-17-2012, 02:15 PM
    2. North Metro Denver Prices
      By KzScrapper in forum Scrap Metal Prices
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 03-03-2012, 11:05 AM
    3. Scrap Prices are going up and not down in my area
      By NoMoreScrapLeft in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 01-10-2012, 10:48 PM
    4. Missouri - Free Appliance and Scrap Metal Removal in the St. Louis Metro Area
      By BigRyan in forum Scrap Metal Removal, Junk Car Removal and Metal Recycling Services
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 04-08-2011, 06:53 PM

Thread Information