Hybrid View

Bear started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts

Scrap Metal Forum and Vintage Computer Forums

This morning I saw a post mentioning Vintage Computer Forums http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/forum.php

After visiting there and looking around a bit I saw how much the two forums have in common, and have no doubt both could greatly benefit by being linked ( I have already posted a similar thread on their site in the "Links" category) and not much sooner than I had been there noticed threads wanting parts for vintage computers we've discussed here recently in great detail.
    The SMF buyers could benefit from this link when someone at VCF decides to clean out their storage, and the sellers here could find an easy source of info on parts from vintage computers when they feel there could be a "better than scrap" interest in them. The folks at Vintage Computer Forums would also find an easy way to look for special parts or whole systems they are needing or interested in finding

Last edited by Bear; 04-19-2012 at 05:05 PM.

2. The Following 13 Users say Thank You for This Post by Bear:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I would be very interested in this...I get a lot of vintage computer or av boards and equipment and am skeptical to throw them in the shred because I know some of the components are special...it would be nice to have more sharing about how others deal with vintage stuff!! Thanks...I vote = yeah = let's.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to amfine for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I can't find the thread...the link you provide just leads to Forums main page. Thanks. - Aidan

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    that's all it was amfine, a link to the main page. There's others i've seen to be helpful here too, for people that had old radio tubes, that amateur radio site? i don't have the link to that one now, but also the antique cars site that good for old cars and parts http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/ i'm sure there's others too that are, or could be very helpful as well, to people here, and helpful to them also in finding people and places here, when they need to move some stuff

it just crossed my mind i might shoulda posted this in that suggestions category but it didn't occur to me then

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bear for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    How about a CPU museum? http://www.cpu-galaxy.at/Index.htm
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

9. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic688 View Post
    How about a CPU museum? http://www.cpu-galaxy.at/Index.htm
    Had to bookmark that one Mech, looking forward to checking it out

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bear for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quite a few computer collectors frequent local recyclers/scrappers to snag things for their collection and are willing to pay more then scrap pricing for them (untested as-is).

I used to hit a small time scrapper for parts until he closed down (spent atleast $1000 a year there making weekly stops to look over the piles he was getting in). Plus any large hauls I would stumble into I would send the scrap their way.

Anyone here in the NE Ohio area?
    Last edited by unknownk; 04-20-2012 at 03:17 AM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

fyi

I am a member to the vintage computer forum as well as here. I make more off selling vintage computers as working units or parts than I do for scrap. Anything older than a pent I is worth checking in to!

I have a pile of IBM 5150s that Im selling like hot cakes

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummer016 View Post
    I am a member to the vintage computer forum as well as here. I make more off selling vintage computers as working units or parts than I do for scrap. Anything older than a pent I is worth checking in to!

I have a pile of IBM 5150s that Im selling like hot cakes
    cool! the 5150s and early IBMs were the ones i first saw being discussed in several threads there, and recalled them being discussed here over just the last few weeks, with most of us not knowing where to start looking for them a home at

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Cool Got me think'n again Bear... :)

So ya, I started look'n through some of my salvaged CPU's from my computer days and lo and behold I have a few like these Intel Pentium 4 Socket 478 P4 3 4 GHz SL7PP 865 875 Chipset Upgrade CPU 0617885300189 | eBay in the little pile which I hadn't sorted yet. Whooeee! Like these are not things to sell for 10 bucks or so per lb boys. There's lots of variants but they have easy to track numbers on 'em. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but as they used to say, knowledge is power and this little example of a real CPU being bid on fleabay, by this many peeps, opens my eyes quite wide. Three hours to go and it's @31 bills. Not too shabby IMHO. lb

Hmmm, I'm guess'n I can't post links on here yet? Yes? No? Mods pls. lb
    Last edited by LarryB; 12-10-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: no live link

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LarryB for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryB View Post
    Hmmm, I'm guess'n I can't post links on here yet? Yes? No? Mods pls. lb
    I see the link here Larry. Cool!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bear for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by unknownk View Post
    Quite a few computer collectors frequent local recyclers/scrappers to snag things for their collection and are willing to pay more then scrap pricing for them (untested as-is).

I used to hit a small time scrapper for parts until he closed down (spent atleast $1000 a year there making weekly stops to look over the piles he was getting in). Plus any large hauls I would stumble into I would send the scrap their way.

Anyone here in the NE Ohio area?
    Hello Unknown, I just replied to your comment on the VCF thread, welcome to SMF! There are actually quite a few here in the Ohio area. You'll find it helpful to look on the main page here, near the bottom is a thread "introduce yourself", to say hello, and give a brief note about yourself, and your interests

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Great link. Thanx 4 sharing Bear, there's a pile of real good info there buddy. lb

21. The Following User Says Thank You to LarryB for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Buying Specialty Escrap of all kinds, resale grade computer parts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 919 Posts
    i was thinking of the same thing but linking with the refiners forum instead
    I buy and sell all types of scrap and escrap. I buy specialty and hard to sell escrap. I buy resale items. PM me or contact me at jghilino@hotmail.com
    I AM ACTIVELY BUYING ESCRAP OF ALL TYPES. BOARDS, RAM, CPUS AND MUCH MORE

23. The Following User Says Thank You to jghilino for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Buying Specialty Escrap of all kinds, resale grade computer parts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 919 Posts
    Hes referring to a 3.4ghz p4 cpu, the problem with that is your gonna have to find somone wanting to shell out some bucks to upgrade there slow p4/celeron to a faster p4. They do sell for $20 each so its obvious there are buyers out there. It actually makes sense since most of the older computers in the US get shipped overseas after they are taken out of operation here so the demand is still there because its a cheaper option than replacement. Its obsolete by todays standards as its a 115watt cpu, and most modern intel i5 / i7 cpus run at less watts and have much more computing power.

Intel Pentium 4 Socket 478 P4 3 4 GHz SL7PP 865 875 Chipset Upgrade CPU 0617885300189 | eBay

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jghilino for This Post:

Thread Information