Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Iron Rod

| Scrap Metal Spots
    IronRod started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Iron Rod

Hey guys I just recently joined the forum because I have minimal knowledge of scrap metal and though you guys would be able to answer my question. I am currently looking for some 5/8" iron (rod/round bar) for a DIY summer project. The diameter size doesn't have to be spot on but that is what my preference would be for the project. Basically I'm curious if anyone knows if this size of iron would be found on a house construction site. I tried to do some research on the uses of this type of iron but didn't really get any answers. My initial though was that it could be uses when building houses or maybe in a car? Any information would be helpful, also is it legal to "dumpster dive" in the dumpsters on construction sites?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IronRod for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I would not go into any dumpster on a construction site without permission. Depending on where you are the big box hardware & lumber stores do have metal of various sizes or check with a local metal dealer or even a scrap yard. Be considerate and go to the introduce yourself section and tell us more about yourself there and if your into scrapping there is lots of info on the forum posts.
    As a driver I'm always sober, but my truck is always ready to get loaded

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bejak for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Awesome, will do thanks!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Ironrod you are in luck I cut up a few loads of rod a week some is 1/2 to 2 inch in 25 foot lengths. Now the bad part it would cost around 800 a ton to buy it. If you are interested let me know. Oh I am across the river in Venice IL.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,736 Times in 896 Posts
    I scored some a month ago. 1/2 inch threaded rods 4 feet long. About 20 of them. My buddy stopped buy last week. He saw it and needed some for a prodject aslo. He also scraps and traided me 2lbs of copper1 wire for 3 rods. Think I made out with the better deal. Its great how scrappers can help each other out sometimes and not be fighting in the streets over washers and dryers.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to greytruck for This Post:

gustavus is offline Metal Recycling Entrepreneur
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Would helpo if you gave the lenghts your looking for and grade, on the small cars you will find an anti sway bars sometimes found both front and rear of the car. The sway bars are high grade spring steel in aproximately 3 to 4 ft lenghts.

Be carful if your going to cut one free their pre loaded.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Where are you guys finding these rods at? I am looking for approximately 220 feet total of the iron but am going to want about 11 20" pieces of the iron rod. I am unfamiliar about different types of iron grades but any grade will do I believe.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    it's kinda hard to guess since so much of the steel used in building houses is also interchangeable with parts on cars. try stopping by the steel store and just tell them you need some steel rods yay long, yay wide. While you're out, drop by the lumber yard and tell them i need 3 four ft boards too plz

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I am unfamiliar about different types of iron grades but any grade will do I believe.
    Here, let me Google that for you.

Read the Wikipedia article, and follow its links to the other articles on steel. You're probably looking for "steel", not "iron".

Other than reinforcing rods for concrete, you're probably not going to find much in the way of 5/8" x 20' steel rods on housing construction sites, but it's easy enough to Google up steel dealers too.

...also is it legal to "dumpster dive" in the dumpsters on construction sites?
    In general, the answer to that would be, "with permission", otherwise, "no". Now whether you'll actually get arrested is a different question. Are you expecting to find eleven undamaged 20' rods in a dumpster?

it's kinda hard to guess since so much of the steel used in building houses is also interchangeable with parts on cars.
    Huh? :confused:

With all due respect, I've never seen a piece of steel go into a house that resembled anything found in an auto parts store. (With the exception of a few nuts and bolts maybe.) Steel studs might be common in commercial construction, but other than the rebar mentioned above, houses contain mostly a few I beams, some steel posts to support them, some angles for masonry lintles, some joist hangers, maybe some steel decking under the concrete of the porch, and lots of nails...

Edited to add: Oh, and maybe the gas pipe plumbing, and the HVAC ductwork...
    Last edited by Ditchdigger; 04-15-2012 at 06:51 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ditchdigger for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Ironrod, apparently you missed my post they are in 20 foot sections and some of them are 5/8. Its usually a 20 to 25 ton load that comes from a customer. I don't ask where because I don't care its just my job to make sure that whatever comes out of the back of the trailer gets cut up. Private Message me if you want to save you some but like it said you probably want about 800 dollars worth of rod or slightly more.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
    Here, let me Google that for you.

Read the Wikipedia article, and follow its links to the other articles on steel. You're probably looking for "steel", not "iron".

Other than reinforcing rods for concrete, you're probably not going to find much in the way of 5/8" x 20' steel rods on housing construction sites, but it's easy enough to Google up steel dealers too.

In general, the answer to that would be, "with permission", otherwise, "no". Now whether you'll actually get arrested is a different question. Are you expecting to find eleven undamaged 20' rods in a dumpster?

Huh? :confused:

With all due respect, I've never seen a piece of steel go into a house that resembled anything found in an auto parts store. (With the exception of a few nuts and bolts maybe.) Steel studs might be common in commercial construction, but other than the rebar mentioned above, houses contain mostly a few I beams, some steel posts to support them, some angles for masonry lintles, some joist hangers, maybe some steel decking under the concrete of the porch, and lots of nails...

Edited to add: Oh, and maybe the gas pipe plumbing, and the HVAC ductwork...
    Quote Originally Posted by IronRod View Post
    My initial though was that it could be uses when building houses or maybe in a car?

Maybe i was being a bit sarcastic, but his info has been very vague, and i'm sure any search for types of steel would return countless informative articles on the subject(the info is definitely out there). Also, I misunderstood when he said 11-20" pieces, i thought he meant 11-20 inchers ; ) I kind of related his posts to sending an order to a lumber yard for 3-4' (ft.) "boards". You might get anything back from 3-4' 1x2 pine@$3 to 3-4' 2x12 walnut@$300, IF they even filled the order at all, which they probably wouldn't, without some little bit of info as to width,depth,type,grade

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Maybe i was being a bit sarcastic,

Oh, ok. Obviously it went over my head. My fault.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PistoneScrapProcessing View Post
    Ironrod, apparently you missed my post they are in 20 foot sections and some of them are 5/8. Its usually a 20 to 25 ton load that comes from a customer. I don't ask where because I don't care its just my job to make sure that whatever comes out of the back of the trailer gets cut up. Private Message me if you want to save you some but like it said you probably want about 800 dollars worth of rod or slightly more.
    I think your out to lunch, 11 x 20' x 5/8" is 1.043 lb to the ft so he only 220 ft which is 229.46 lbs. your $800.00 ton price which is $0.40 cents a pound his rounds would only cost him someting like $91.78 before tax's.

http://www.bgmfg.com/bar_weights.htm
    Last edited by gustavus; 04-15-2012 at 11:22 AM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
    Oh, ok. Obviously it went over my head. My fault.
    i wasn't really looking for fault Dd. Mighta even been chiming in, when i shoulda been chimin out, lol! Just an immense number of variables there. I really think Pistone has a chance of helping him some, if he'll do some bit of legwork on it himself as well

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bear for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I was just estimating biscuit I don't know the weights per foot nor do I want to know them. Good work looking it up though all I know is they would want 800 a ton for whatever he cherry picks out of the yard. He would have to be quick about it to some 20 ton loads of rod only take an hour and a half to cut up to three hours max. So he would have to act quickly or off to the mill it goes.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PistoneScrapProcessing for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I was just estimating biscuit I don't know the weights per foot nor do I want to know them. Good work looking it up though all I know is they would want 800 a ton for whatever he cherry picks out of the yard. He would have to be quick about it to some 20 ton loads of rod only take an hour and a half to cut up to three hours max. So he would have to act quickly or off to the mill it goes.

I'm surprised there are still yards left that still deal with off sales. Wished I lived closer I would be a regular customer, good used iron is a lot more economical than buying new even after paying to have it cut to size.

There is a yard in BC that specializes in mill crops.

I save all the channel, angle, rounds, flatbar and plate of any usable size for pesonal projects, have a couple of tons sitting around the yard and would never consider selling. I still find myself buying the odd peice of new, even at todays prices for new still affordable.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I never meet a scrap yard owner that didn't want to double his money. I have meet tons of people that go from yard to yard and pick through piles all the time. Hydraulic pumps locomotive parts, etc. If there is a secondary market for it you can bet your hinny that someone will buy it if you save it from the pile.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I never meet a scrap yard owner that didn't want to double his money. I have meet tons of people that go from yard to yard and pick through piles all the time. Hydraulic pumps locomotive parts, etc. If there is a secondary market for it you can bet your hinny that someone will buy it if you save it from the pile.
    Yea Like I said wished I was closer to your yard, I would be buying evey locomotive air horn that came into your yard. Yarders used in logging come with a good set of horns. Horns with multiple trumpets, now your in for some serious coin reselling.

Locomotive air horn sound library http://www.dieselairhorns.com/sounds.html?album=5

Sirens, bigger and noisier always better, I'll still settle for the smaller fender mounted ones. Just some of the things I keep an eye open for.

Thos one sells between $800.00 / $1000.00

Last edited by gustavus; 04-15-2012 at 03:20 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    The railroad always takes the horns off I know it sucks or I would have a stack of them. Trust me I love loud stuff just as much as next person. I am pretty sure you can buy them online though. I hear truck drivers that have them all the time. Scares the crap out of me when they blow there horn because I can't figure out where its coming from. Its way louder then the regular air horn they have on semi's. Heres a link. 1500 bucks isn't cheap but I love how it says it will wake the dead!!!

http://www.hornblasters.com

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Those fog horns on ships are kinda noisy too ; ) When i worked offshore the fella who did the receiving of rig supplies also usually had a larger duffel bag going home than when he got there. I had to stop by his place once in east texas to change some timing gears. When i got there nobody was around so i went to ring the doorbell. When i pushed the doorbell button, a fog horn sounded from top of his barn lol

27. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Water pipes grey cast iron and ductile iron
      By DuctileIronPipe in forum Introduce yourself
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 06-13-2012, 08:27 PM
    2. difference between cast iron and reg iron
      By hazelj in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 02-02-2012, 03:10 PM
    3. Name that rod
      By Vuelto in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: 01-25-2012, 12:18 AM
    4. copper plated ground rod
      By ParkerFlyer4 in forum Dismantling, Breaking Down & Maximizing Scrap
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 12-12-2011, 05:28 PM
    5. Does cast iron pay more than light iron?
      By ScrapperNJ26 in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 03-20-2011, 09:03 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information