Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooting Ranges?

| Scrap Metal Spots
    demillo started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Shooting Ranges?

Anybody here collect brass casings from shooting ranges? I'm not even sure if its legal, but I was thinking about it last night...a lot of guys do not collect the casings from their ammunition when they go shooting. I don't live very close to a public range, but thought it might be an option.....or maybe ask a private range what they do with the casings....

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    My yard won't take gun shell casings only on shred because I put them in something

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,462 Times in 668 Posts
    My yard takes brass casings along with dirty and clean bullet lead. Every yard is different so shop around.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,965 Times in 1,383 Posts
    Had the same thought. Asked a couple of private ranges and gun clubs. The answer I got was that it was a liability for them to have non-members on property, which I understand. I was also told that most members and clubs have someone that collects the larger caliber brass and reloads them. The only brass that is left over or thrown out is samall caliber like .22 and shot gun shells. The problem with shotguns shells is there is more plastic than brass on them and the time to get it separated isn't worth it, trust me I tried it. I would stick to public ranges. If you are located in Pocono area I do believe you should have a few ranges nearby. If not check the fish and game website I do believe they list all public ranges for where you are located.
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.” John Wayne-- The Shootist

NEWBS READ THIS THREAD ABOUT REFINING!!!!
    http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/off-t...ning-read.html

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BRASSCATCHER for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    From my experience most ranges already have accounts set up to get rid of their scrap (I called about a dozen in the Denver area to see what they do with their brass and lead). My yard buys casings as clean yellow brass ($2.13 lb.) and we have a seperate category for range lead (we pay $0.15 a lb. for it).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BohemianLush for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Forgot I had a gallon back half full of shells I collect from my friend shooting his guns and sold it to some guy on CL

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    i got 35# of mostly .22 rounds.
    YOSF (You Only Scrap Forever)
    YOLO (You Only Live Once)

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    Public ranges probably have a ton of brass laying around. I would think that private ranges police themselves and the members pick up their brass even if they do not intend on reloading.

I think that in the past we have heard from some people that their yard would not take it because of the chance of a live shell making it into the equipment. Others have no problem taking it in.
    "64K should be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates 1981
    http://www.treasurecoastelectronicrecycling.com/

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I had one yard here that said they wouldn't take my brass because they had the primers still in them but after some himming and hawing he took it and gave me dirty price. I don't use this yard anymore not because of this but because they started writing rubber checks to those who sold to him.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
    You can make things from bullet shells & sell them. I wish I could get them here as easy as you can in the USA. Mega buxx.

http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=bul...w=1024&bih=604

13. The Following User Says Thank You to eesakiwi for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Those tanks and jet planes they made with AK-47 shells were pretty cool.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    ya I've called around and every range seems to already have a system there happy with

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BRASSCATCHER View Post
    If you are located in Pocono area I do believe you should have a few ranges nearby. If not check the fish and game website I do believe they list all public ranges for where you are located.
    I live in the pocono area and the 2 public ranges i go to are always littered with shells. Mostly .22 and 9mm but i get a good 10 pounds whenever i go shooting before i get tired of picking them up on my hands and knees it helps offset the cost of bullets nicely. The only problem is picking them out of the gravel/dirt.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    gstod use a seine with some small mesh and nail it to some 2x1s. it makes it easier and faster.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to poundigity24 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Depending on the condition, you can get much more than scrap value for some types of brass. I actually buy clean 45ACP at $3.00/lb for my personal reloading use. If you have access to a lot of the more commonly reloaded calibers, I'd invest in a brass tumbler and some cleaning media from Midway USA. Sort according to caliber, throw them in the cleaner for an hour to make them shiny, and sell in lots of 100-500 on eBay.you shouldn't need to deprime them either.
    HLH&R Metals Recycling
    www.elliscountyscrapmetal.com
    972-617-4547
    Facebook
    Twitter: @hlhrmetals

20. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by HLH&R Metals Recycling:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    just cashed 33# of shells yesterday for $50. and i went back to get more last night.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    My yard buys them, but one thing I recomend is... Even if they are brass colored, check them with a magnet... Some are just brass coated....

I should be put on the SMF wall of shame... I go out the the gravel pit near the family cabin with my 10 year old and we shoot the .22 I try to pick up some of the casings... but I think the next trip out, I am getting him to pick up as many as we can find... more so for respect for the environment than making the money back... I do however pick up the larger .303 casings... but don't shoot too many of them.. way too expensive if you don't reload.. which I don't

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I never thought about checking my local gun range. Just added it to my list of things to do tomorrow.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ryko for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HLH&R Metals Recycling View Post
    Depending on the condition, you can get much more than scrap value for some types of brass.
    Good call. I was going to make the same suggestion. I know lots of guys who reload, and the value of brass is definitely higher to re-loaders than as scrap. As mentioned, 22's aren't used for reloading, but on the plus side, they have no primers to worry about.
    Last edited by TMoney; 05-23-2012 at 11:14 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to TMoney for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Sorry to bring up an oldish thread. I live out in the country and there's a lot of backyard woods 'shooting' ranges if you'd call them that here, literally littered with shotgun casings, rifle rounds etc.

Just got back from one yesterday, got a whole shopping back full of shotgun shells. Thought some of them were brass but I guess they're just brass-coated? Not sure what they're made out of. They're still magnetic. But I got a few copper/brass rifle rounds that are good.

I tried cutting the shells off to just get the metal but there's always a bit of plastic left inside. Not too sure what to organize these metal ends as?

28. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Firing/Gun Ranges for brass
      By Synin in forum Scrap Metal Spots
      Replies: 24
      Last Post: 11-18-2012, 04:55 PM
    2. Man shot by police & imprisoned for shooting at metal thief
      By junkelly in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 27
      Last Post: 10-22-2012, 06:57 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information