Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    skippy started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

No time for cloaks and secret handshakes I need advice

I read every thread in here but I need one of those secrets ways to find scrap when theres a drought. I made like 800 $ the first three weeks now I hit a wall. I need something Im ready to drive 100 mile for 1 can. Help, I need somebody, help. I know i have not took the blood oath yet but Im stuck. Ok I ll drink the cool aide.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    No secret to it. Sometimes, it's just not to be found. I know I'm going through one of those times now. Talked to another dealer a couple days ago and apparently I'm not the only one. I got a bonus over current market price for my copper stash mainly because he needed product.

Just wait it out.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Does Rain affect it because the past week has been terrible I have to admit I missed stuff on CL,

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Hey Mick if you dont mind where do get bulk of scrap Im on CL and freestylin(thats what me and girls call driving around)

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    I have a garage I pick up brake rotors regularly (just went today). I got in with an electrical contractor (lighting fixtures, etc). Two guys drop stuff off so they can go through what I've gotten since they were here last. Some random calls from my website.

I don't do CL. Found it to be a waste as I'd wind up going too far for what I got. No "freestyling" at all.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    Skippy many members put together routes based on the trash collection routes and schedules. Some make a route of businesses that they ask for scrap.

Others advertise on CL. Contact people who do clean outs and offer to take their scrap. Consider offering money for the computer towers they get with the cleanouts. Talk to you friends and relatives, tell them you want scrap metal. Keep an eye open for businesses going out of business, clean out possibility. GL and 73, Mike.
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Skippy I have been doing a little experiment (usually olddudes dept) the past 10 days or so, but rather then hijack your thread I will start a new one.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I get quite a bit of my stuff from craigslist. Ive really been killing it lately. Made a long run today for 6 towers and monitors, two crts, one rear projection, two fridges, a washing machine, small cast iron woodstove, air compressor, 50lbs in iron weights, an aluminum ladder, and a few other small things. Recieved 30 bucks for hauling off the tvs, which paid for my gas. Just stick with it and put in some legwork. I get stuff from a local muffler/mechanic shop and the hospital( i get some cool stuff from them).

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Hi jack for crying out loud what is the experiment

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kzbell View Post
    skippy i have been doing a little experiment (usually olddudes dept) the past 10 days or so, but rather then hijack your thread i will start a new one.

yes, do tell!!!!!!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    If you read every thread on the forum (and I have my doubts) then you would know there are slow periods. The forum has also covered the topic of where to find scrap quite extensively.

12. The Following 6 Users say Thank You for This Post by IdahoScrapper:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Small carpet jobs

Skippy, you said you were a carpet installer. Even if you can't physically manage regular installations anymore, there is still a lot of small carpet work out there. I'm in the flooring business and regularly call upon a couple guys to fix my doorways/transitions when existing carpet abuts to new hard-surface flooring. Stairs, re-stretches and repairs are other areas where you could pick up a few bucks. You could even team up with someone just to do seams. While you're traveling to and from these jobs, you should be able to pick up the odd piece of curbside scrap. Also, while you're on the job site, chat up the homeowner - you should be able to get some of their scrap as well. Doing this, the fuel cost doesn't come into play.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Long story but I have several job offers its just cant be around that physically and other stuff.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    When it rains it does kill the amount of scrap to be found. Also when a new "scrapper" starts hitting the block the other scrappers around there will hit it sooner and faster trying to "claim" there spot so they make the money they need to. So you just have to stick with it and keep going at it. I remember days where I spent $100+ in fuel and only came back with 30bucks worth of stuff but there where days where I would hit the honey hole and would be busy for the next few days. So when you make a killing....save the money for the days where you "hit" the wall.

Trust me...even us scrap yards big and small....we hit the walls as we are not getting the amount of scrap needed to keep the doors open but we stick it out...and then there are days where we are stuffed and people keep bring in more and more!

So it does not really matter where you are on the food chain in the scrap world....there are times you just cant get anything...then there are times where your over loaded.
    My company name was Easy Recycle but has since been closed
    My Name Stephan Harz
    My YouTube page

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,906 Times in 2,555 Posts
    Slow here! I am down about $650. from where I was last year at this time...

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I think with this warmer than usual weather and the economy there is just a lot more people collecting. I even noticed the Amish taking in scrap with their buggies on 3 different occasions this week.
    If it wasn't for the $ in $crap, it would just be.....

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    It is rather funny seeing the horse drawn wagons weighing in on the big scale. LOL

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 847 Posts
    With the economy the wat it is people don't through things out like they use to. People are more intrested in making the house payment rather than buy a new appliance. When people don't buy new things they don't through out the old.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    You have to take pics of that and post it on here for us. I think that would look cool. The horses on the scale I'm talking about.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    I read every thread in here but I need one of those secrets ways to find scrap when theres a drought. I made like 800 $ the first three weeks now I hit a wall. I need something Im ready to drive 100 mile for 1 can. Help, I need somebody, help. I know i have not took the blood oath yet but Im stuck. Ok I ll drink the cool aide.
    Seems to me like you just looking for a free handout. Won't never get nowhere in life that way.
    AMERICAN BORN, AMERICAN BRED! AND I'M PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!

22. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. funny as hell video with secret messages
      By TrashPickingAusKid2 in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 12-13-2011, 09:47 PM
    2. money saving secret
      By bluemeate in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 07-22-2011, 02:06 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information