Pics of a Monitor CRT breakdown

| TV and Monitor Recycling
    ElectricMetal started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Pics of a Monitor CRT breakdown

I scrapped my first CRT monitor. I know this sort of thing is very old hat for the pros here, but as a newbie, it was a process of discovery.

I took some pictures and thought I'd share them for anyone interested. I'm planning to do some research on some of the integrated circuits. There probably isn't much of a market for them apart from scrap value, but I figured it couldn't hurt to poke around the intertubes for info. I'm guessing the socketed (vs. soldered) DIP chip must be the most important/brain on the otherwise low grade PCB. I've never seen socketed DIP chip on a television CRT PCB. Is it common to see these socketed chips on the PCBs for computer monitor CRTs?

The pics:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/4886509...th/6848325566/

(I fixed the link)
    Last edited by ElectricMetal; 03-18-2012 at 06:49 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by ElectricMetal:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,350 Posts
    good job now only 50 more to make a couple hundred bucks...LOL

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeinreco for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    Here is a picture that represents DIP switches.

You are referring to an IC chip

But Very nice set of pictures and I am sure that you learned a lot. Keep it up.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to parrothead for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    what a low budget slideshow. Seriously next time use a quarter for size reference. lol. that should be a good post for newbs to watch. good job.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mikedmissouri for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 847 Posts
    I would unplug the wires insted of cutting them off. Your losing a lot of wieght if you'r going sell them as insolated copper. Just my .02

10. The Following User Says Thank You to happyscraper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Never really messed with them much but have been meaning to since the whole Goodwill discovery. With the nice weather coming in, a Goodwill about a mile away and 6 sitting on the trailer I decided to process them. Small piece of carpet helps to spin them around on the glass as your working and a larger metal dish pan is good for bustin yokes up in to harvest the copper and contain the mess. Being able to button them back up and take to Goodwill makes this deal for me.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

12. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by KzScrapper:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanic688 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Many thanks to all for the nice comments.
    @ Mechanic688 -- My apologies for not referencing your earlier very educational thread on this topic. I remember seeing it a few weeks ago and it influenced my desire to take some photos while I disassembled the monitor. I'm also playing around with building a photo database of my inventory so I can keep track of things more efficiently.

Re: The integrated circuit chip research
    I did some poking around looking for details regarding some of the integrated circuits on the low grade board harvested from the monitor.
    I found a few interesting tidbits. If there were a way to crack into the spare parts market, it seems as though one could really make a good return ($18 from a single IC), even those derived from low grade boards. But, as I believe Mechanic688 has pointed out to me before, the devil is in the details regarding spare parts, and breaking into that niche isn't easy.

Anyway, the web searches were fun if nothing else.
    The integrated circuit shown in this picture (see links below) is made by ST microelectronics and it sells for $18 from a spare parts supplier.
    Here's the picture link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4886509...57629249836754
    Here's the parts supplier link: http://www.galco.com/buy/ST-Microelectronics/TDA9103
    The chip is a deflection processor: http://www.datasheetdir.com/TDA9103+XUnsort

This other integrated circuit from the same low grade board (see link below) is made by National Semiconducter and it sells for $1.79 (+$22 for shipping) from a spare parts supplier:
    Here's the parts supplier link: http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/3...NEW-stock.html
    The chip is a RGB (Red/Green/Blue) video amplifier -- further details: http://www.alldatasheet.com/datashee...C/LM1281N.html

Interestingly, I had the hardest time finding info on the socketed chip made by RU microelectronics (see link below). The only thing I could find was a webpage for a parts supplier where I'd need to supply an email address for a price quote.
    Here's the parts supplier link: http://www.iclocator.com/IUM6800394_...8-777ED98B8984
    Last edited by ElectricMetal; 03-19-2012 at 04:12 AM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Just because there is someone asking $18 for a chip, does not mean that he is getting it. No one is repairing these behemoth monitors when you can always get another one for free from Craig's list.

Pretty nice research though and the rresale of chips may work on some other stuff. Of course that chip may be used in something else.

I guess the whole logistics of setting up wharehousing is boggling considering there are literally 10s of 1000s of chips out there. You may be able to sell to someone who alredy has this going at 1/3 the price or less.
    "64K should be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates 1981
    http://www.treasurecoastelectronicrecycling.com/

17. The Following User Says Thank You to parrothead for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanks ElectricMetal - your pics matched mine almost perfect. I also tore into 2 montiors this weekend. Always have a bunch of them since I'm in IT but never opened one up. I just pulled all the copper, transformer, alum off and dumped it in with the rest of my low-grade. Really don't have a buyer for low-grade nor will the yards take it. Figure will save it in case learn of something else that is profitable to remove (IC chips) or run out of space.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ticonderoga for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    @ parrothead
    Thank you for your thoughts on this topic. I've noticed that many integrated circuit suppliers seem to be based in Shenzhen, China (when combined with neighboring Hong Kong -- probably the one of the largest and densest concentrations of humanity on the planet -- 20 million people). I wonder if there is more of a repair market that employs these chips overseas (BRIC nations and southeast asia, central Asia, Africa etc.) Those areas might not yet have made the full blown transition to LCD monitors and TVs that we're seeing here in the US. Thus, combined with the lower per capita wealth factor, there might be more interest in repair both among domestic and commercial end-users.
    In any case, I figure that since these chips are tiny and relatively easy to store, I'll begin to stockpile them and gradually build an online searchable database. The desoldering could be a challenge but I think that should be doable while working with ventilation. Even if the ICs are pretty illiquid, their micro size factor and relative stability in anti-static bags should overcome the space limitations that would rapidly overwhelm me if we were talking about....say.....microwaves or 36'' Sony Tube TVs.
    I'm mostly just churning these ideas in my head. For now, everything goes in my stackable low-gade PCB boxes as Ticonderoga mentioned.
    Last edited by ElectricMetal; 03-19-2012 at 09:49 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    If your going to do some desoldering, you might want to think about one of these at least, makes the job a whole lot easier.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanic688 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Regarding: the death of the CRT in the developed world and its relative retention in the developing/3rd world.....wikipedia has some interesting details...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode...CRT_technology

Demise
    Although a mainstay of display technology for decades, CRT-based computer monitors and televisions constitute a dead technology. The demand for CRT screens has dropped precipitously since 2000, and this falloff has been accelerating in the latter half of that decade.......The demise of CRT, however, has been happening more slowly in the developing world. According to iSupply, production in units of CRTs was not surpassed by LCDs production until 4Q 2007, owing largely to CRT production at factories in China.

---------------------

I guess this all means it's not wise to sit on the low end IC chips for long....eventually the transition will migrate to the developing world.

The US automobile fleet is something like 250 million vehicles, and I read that given a median car lifetime of 8 years, a full-scale transition from gasoline to electric vehicles would take something like 20-40 years to accomplish. Given that several hundred million of CRT TVs must still be in use and a median CRT lifespan of 5 years, I'd imagine that it will take another decade or so until the current purge is more or less complete (not counting the tail of the distribution) . Of course the rate of CRT purging will certainly slow with time.

For the pros here who've been at this for a while....is the CRT purge accelerating or slowing? I know your individual observations are anecdotal, but this forum could give us access to a nation-wide perspective on this trend.
    Last edited by ElectricMetal; 03-20-2012 at 12:20 AM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    For the pros here who've been at this for a while....is the CRT purge accelerating or slowing? I know you individual observations are anecdotal, but this forum could give us access to a nation-wide perspective on this trend.
    I personally think it's still accelerating as flat screens come down in price, more people can afford them with this booming economy.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanic688 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Looks like you are doing some great homework. Keep at it. You may have something there.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to parrothead for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    What booming economy?????

Seriously - I'm finding more CRTs in storage units or on side of the curb. Most offices, schools, government places have moved to flat screen. It's your individual households and small companies that still have CRTs. Any of your high-end PC users like gamers were the first to switch.

29. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. my crt monitor that still works after 5 years in a shed
      By TrashPickingAusKid2 in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 02-23-2012, 12:25 AM
    2. CRT Monitor outlet for Ecyclers
      By prgiva in forum TV and Monitor Recycling
      Replies: 25
      Last Post: 02-18-2012, 09:28 PM
    3. Microwave magnetron breakdown w/ pics
      By Ran440 in forum Dismantling, Breaking Down & Maximizing Scrap
      Replies: 10