petrogen torches

| Tools and Equipment
    taterjuice started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 898 Posts

petrogen torches

Anyone use these petrogen torches its a crazy concept of using gasoline under pressure for fuel if you google petrogen you'll find their website Got bunch of Vids on you tube just wondering if anyone has used em or been round em. Thinking on getting another torch setup and wondered if petrogen was as good as the website says. Thanks in advance

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    sounds like a bomb to me. Why not stick with the old school like most yards still use? Propane and Oxygen. Right now we are using two 3' victor torches with scrap tips and burning liquid oxygen and propane.. Turn it up and it heats up and cuts fast.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Seems like gasoline @3.50+ a gallon is a tad expensive compared to other fuels, most notably propane.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yeah kinda thought that too but looks like from the videos anyway could cut dam neare anything in half

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yes, I have used a Petrogen torch many times at my last places of employment. They do take some getting use to (lighting and adjusting flame), but once you have it down they do one heck of job on scrap. It works even on really scaley rusted metal and also it doesn't mind if there any gaps between material.

My partner was always scared to use the torch because it used gasoline, but if you read the concept of operation it is actually safer. I don't know how many times I saw him running like crazy after he sliced the line on a oxy/acetylene setup and it caught fire at the slice. The gasoline torch....No problem.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to patricke for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Sounds pretty sweet! seen several videos on you tube and it looks to be able to cut thru bout anything and do it fast, any idea how many gallons it'd go thru before it'd use up a t oxygen bottle thinkin on adding another torch to the operation and debating between petrogen propane or maybe propolyene thanks for the feed back

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    It has been 5 years since I worked where I used the Petrogen but I believe the O2 rate was comparable to using acetylene. We also had a propane torch but none of us liked it. However, It could have been "operator" error. LOL At least for scrap metal. We were cutting some plates up to 8" thick. The nice thing about the gasoline is that it seemed heavier and would travel down through the steel easier and also there was less slag generated.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to patricke for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Who all makes equitment for petrogen ?

11. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. fuel gas for torches
      By taterjuice in forum Tools and Equipment
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 03-13-2012, 07:53 AM
    2. info on cutting torches