Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Message Boards?

| Scrap Metal Spots
    demillo started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Message Boards?

I don't know if anybody else does this, but I post on message boards like "Yahoo Groups". Nearly every area has some sort of "freecycle" page or pages. Depending upon the rules, you can post "jobs". I post that I am willing to pick up appliances etc., and have received a number of pick ups from these sites.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to demillo for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I do it. But some are more strict than others.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    lol i was going to start a thread on about freecycle i got 5 computers from there this week

5. The Following User Says Thank You to fordsix for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 1,989 Posts
    do yall offer to buy them on those posts? how do you word your ad ?

i looked at freecycle earlier, and everything's gotta be free
    Last edited by Bear; 03-01-2012 at 08:16 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    My post usually goes something like this "Willing to haul any unwanted items that include metal. Will remove all items FREE! Some items I am interested in are appliances, computers, televisions etc. etc. It all depends on the board. Some boards you have to do a title like "WANTED/OFFER: Location. Then you do your post. Just make sure you follow the rules or they won't allow you to post it. I'm on two or three "freecycle" type pages that I can post every two weeks. Have received a couple of pick ups from here....and multiple pick ups from the same people. I am also on one called "everything goes", so obviously, everything goes. Picking up four bikes and a TV this Monday. The last one I am on is a local group that allows you to post "services offered or services needed" ads. I do the same thing--offer to haul away unwanted items. I usually finish my post with something like "before you throw it away, let me know and I'll come get it." I've been moderately successful....from there I usually give some type of business card and ask them to tell their friends.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to demillo for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I've been trying to join a local freecycle, and it's a total headache! You've got to submit your information and do a captcha on about 3 different pages, the last one being a yahoo groups page, which you also have to fill out the info, give it your yahoo password, and, THEN fill out yet another application to the group "owner"?? (thought it was free), which has to then be approved before you're allowed in to even view the ads? i've never seen even an application to paypal or listing on ebay be so much a headache.
    Has anyone else known freecycle to be so many duplicated efforts to try joining a single group? Do you need go through this extensive a procedure for each group you wish to visit?
    Last edited by Bear; 03-14-2012 at 05:02 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Has anyone else known freecycle to be so many duplicated efforts to try joining a single group? Do you need go through this extensive a procedure for each group you wish to visit?
    It took me two or three days to finally get accepted. Maybe they are being a pain to discourage scammers and spammers. Or maybe it just takes time for a mod to get around to checking the application. That's all I can think of. That CAPTCHA (or whatever it's called) was a big pain for me. I had a tough time trying to figure out what some of those letters were.

The mod's email should be on your local site's page, so you could try emailing them and tell them about your problems getting through. I was about to do that when all of a sudden I got accepted.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Ditto on the captcha too, BG. They were quite prompt really, once i got all that done. Already got my 4 (yep 4) letters of acceptance, and am thinking how to approach the remainder of the ad process. Each ad is submitted to the moderator for approval as well. Do you use a phone number on yours, or just the email? I'm kind of skeptical about using my home phone atm, due to risks of aggervating/unreasonable calls in the middle of the night?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I don't know if each freecycle is different, but the Rochester one isn't moderated that much as far as posting ads are concerned, from what I've read. When signing up I had to give an email that is automatically linked with each ad or response to an ad. I wouldn't give out a phone number in an ad. I haven't posted any wanted ads yet, just responded to the offers for stuff I can use or scrap. I'm kinda squirmish about posting a wanted ad for something I've already picked up a few times. Don't know if it might catch someone's attention. I get the idea the mods want folks who are re-using things and not scrapping them.

I'm also thinking about joining the ReUseIt forum as well. That's the one that is a Yahoo group. Keeping an eye on Craigslist and Freecycle keeps me busy enough as it is, so I'll think about it for now.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    One thing I noticed on my freecycle page was that there were other people offering to pick up "unwanted metal items" or "scrap metal" etc. When I post I always stress the fact that what someone may consider as "trash" I would be willing to take

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    well, i submitted an ad, never got a reply, maybe i won't, guess i'll know someday if it will get posted

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Are you talking about Freecycle.org? The rules for the local Freecycle I'm on specifically states no ads, and all wanted ads are supposed to be for a specific item, not something general. Really, asking for scrap metal is like posting an ad in my book. Or maybe I'm just too honest. I'm usually looking to make money, not to put something in use. That's rather contrary to the purpose of the forum.

Edit: I was responding to demillo's post, not Bear's.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    that probly defines mine too BG, i listed an assortment of things I'd remove/pickup for free in an ad submission, they might not accept or post it now. Nevertheless, it is still an ad, no more or less than an ad for free kittens, and it is also free, which was their basic requirement. I suppose it could only be now in the hands of the moderator there, and to their discretion. At least there are several communities I can still submit some form of an ad to, too bad though, if i flop with it, being that was the biggest one around here locally

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,335 Posts
    I know my local freecycle doesnt want you making money from a wanted ad. I asked my moderator If I could put an ad up to take computers fro free and they said no. Even when I told them most companies in denver charge for this. They still said no service want ads allowed on freecycle. Kind of a bummer but hey I just keep jumping on them as fast as I see them come across my phone.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I'm new with it PTS, starting to see yalls point. They promised free, i got a free lesson Still hoping maybe they'll write back, as i did send a thank you note after being accepted there, and explained my free intentions Maybe they'll offer some advice as to how or if i may proceed. They have one listed already, claiming his buddy got a ticket they're trying to pay. at least mine never mentioned anything but free pickup and removal

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I use freecycle all the time, but have never posted an ad. Here in the UK it seems to be policed very tightly, with each message needing approval before it's submitted. It's great for a part timer like me though - I just respond to people listing stuff for spares/repair. They even list the location its in so I can decide if the drive is worth it!
    Plus you'd be amazed at how good it is for getting rid of breakage waste - loads of people looking for old firewood, panes of glass, flexible hose etc...
    Beats paying disposal charges...

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    They promised free, i got a free lesson
    That was a good one!

I'm thinking it was a mistake asking the mods if it would be okay to post an ad. I can see asking for a specific item and see how many hits you get, then delete the ad. But for the most part, I'm treating it like Craigslist and just looking to see what people are willing to part with for free.

Last night I listed an ad for 5 gallon buckets just to see if it would get approved. It was up this morning. According to what I read in their rules, the first ad needs mod approval and after a while your ad will just go up immediately with no need for moderation. I hope I interpreted that right.

(While I'm typing this, a guy just stopped and pulled the tin cans out of the recycle bin at the curb. Hey, that's illegal here! Oh well.)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to billygoat for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have only had my posts denied for frequency (only one every two weeks or so) and for not listing a location in my title. Beyond that, everything has been accepted. I suppose it is up to the moderator running that specific group. I post on four or frive different groups and have received a couple of responses--with some repeat clients returning. I don't feel I'm being dishonest as I specifically state I want things people are going to throw away. If it is still useful, they will post it for others to take. If it is something they are going to throw out, I feel I'm helping them out.....that being said, I'm sure there are people who jump on washers, dryers, and other working items on freecycle....and then sell them or scrap them. THAT, in my opinion, is way more dishonest than hauling away unwanted "junk"

23. The Following User Says Thank You to demillo for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    They ran it http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ParisT...e/message/8829 I've already got 2 tvs waiting on me hope that turns into references! lol, guess i'll be needing a map

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    There must be different freecycles. The one I'm on isn't part of any yahoo group. Huh, whattaya know.

Demillo, that's pretty neat that you can do that. I can't on the one I'm on.

Bear, the link didn't work for me because I'm not on the same group. Good for you that you got some hits. Instead of a map, maybe pick up a GPS. That's saved me a lot of grief. Most of the time you can get one cheapest at a pawn shop. That's how I got mine. You can get a decent used one for around $30.00 or so. Or maybe run wanted ad for one and see what happens.

Here's a list of various Freecycle groups around the US. I'm starting to think there might be two different freecycle sites. I'm thinking one is a Yahoo group and one isn't. http://www.freecycle.org/group/US

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information