1980ish camping trailer free

| Vehicle Recycling
    ozzy214 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Cool 1980ish camping trailer free

This is a funny and odd story with a happy ending. My wife got us thrown out of the apt we just rented. Haven't been here a month yet and gotta go. So I'm taking some of my inheritance from father and looking to buy a trailer on a lot. Cant afford land with trailer so gonna pay lot rent.

Anyhow, go look at this one trailer. Nice and all, right in the price range I had in mind. So I leave and go down the road to get gas. Do my usual gas dance. Go in get smokes, gas, coffee, and go out to pump.

I'm standing there and this older fella comes up to me. He asks me if I'm a scrapper, because he sees the truck loaded. He was going on and on how he waited for me to come out of the store and he seen all the stuff, etc. Kinda made me nervous.

Anyhow he says he has something I might like, come down to his place. Well follow him down and there is a tandem axle camper trailer sitting. You want it he asks....I say sure.

So I spent 4 hours getting it road worthy and home. My truck was obviously way to small for it, 2000 dodge Dakota. The trailer was sunk in and ended up getting my truck stuck. Snapped the winch cable trying to pull truck and trailer out. So we got mine disconnected and he used his truck to pull it out onto the road. Then i re hooked up, inflated the tires, and booked for home. No trailer lights, because I didnt have the round connector only the flat 4 pin.

My poor old truck was bottomed right out and it literally felt like the trailer was squashing the ass like a bug into the pavement. Literally was burning the clutch trying to back it into the driveway..... Yes Im a crazy old truck driver and always do the impossible, which is why I make money when others dont.

Too boot he loaded the trailer with alu gutters, steel flashing for drywall, old propane tank like 50 gallon, and a 55 gallon trash can full of romex. He wasn't gonna give me the trash can, but I asked and he didnt care.

Apparently the deal was was he was in the flood zone. All this was from remodeling his house. Apparently he got the trailer right before the flood with intention to fix it. But the flood weakened the wood floors and what not. Surprisingly just mold in it, no mud.

And to boot. The trailer is wired up with romex and copper lines for the water, etc.

Im not trying to brag, but it is sure as hell worth it to grab these and strip them. So don't listen to idiots who say don't do it. Don't take long to strip and lots of money.

So this proves karmic retribution does work and it really helps to be in the right place at the right time.

Btw as long as the frame is solid, it will sell on craigs for 400 guaranteed if not more!! Or may make a flatbed car hauler out of it. I don't know yet. Tires aint bad, lil dryrot. Didn't look close at the frame, but seemed solid and pulled straight down the road. Only thing going crooked was my poor old truck. That's next project bigger truck.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Grats man! One thing I have learned about scrapping (or still learning) is all the advice is great, but figure stuff out for yourself. What doesn't work for some may well be right up your ally and profitable after all.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    You needed some good luck. Mike.
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Nice load I pick them up convert them in to utility trailers. Then sell them for about 1000$

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts
    This Idiot says, there is a big difference between having one thrown in your lap, and scrapping it at your leasure in your yard then traveling 60 miles round trip, to scrap one. sounds like maybe you need to think about rebuilding it and living in it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to EcoSafe for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Nice score man!! It's really hard to argue when the word FREE is involved, lol. I got word a few days back that I may get one of these too. How long of a trailer is yours?

8. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. last week trailer stollen this week new trailer for free
      By mrvictor1 in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 05-16-2013, 02:34 PM
    2. Replies: 11
      Last Post: 08-23-2012, 11:19 AM
    3. Free trailer home for anyone in my area
      By imyourgirl in forum Scrap Metal Spots
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 05-14-2012, 03:39 PM
    4. Springtime Camping