Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    thirsty started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Reasonable price for insulated THHN

I hope all is well with all. I was wondering what is a fair and reasonable price to offer for insulated THHN wire (per pound). I have an individual that states he has "plenty" and I would like to purchase as much as I can afford. Thanks in advance and stay thirsty my friends.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    So many variables to consider, what works for me may not work for you? Think about what you get for the material, subtract what you need to profit. Don't get greedy, think of volume. At this moment I'm currently paying $2.31lb for 12ga, prices goes up from there.
    Last edited by rewire; 02-21-2012 at 01:49 AM.
    I make cents on the pound, the name of the game is VOLUME

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rewire View Post
    So many variables to consider, what works for me may not work for you? Think about what you get for the material, subtract what you need to profit. Don't get greedy, think of volume. At this moment I'm currently paying $2.31lb for 12ga, prices goes up from there.
    Thats a reasonable price!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Is it ever worth it to ship wire to another processor? I have about 60lbs of Stripped BX wire. I don't have the patience to strip it down further. Looks like local yard is paying 1.60lb.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    BX wire must be a pain. I found these things in a pile of scrap Sunday night http://www.seatekco.com/rs-101a.htm . I had no idea what they were tll I got home and googled them lol! They were in a cardboard box along with some aluminum window screens. Also scored two pairs of wire cutters and a bike which Ill just toss on the scrap load. I wish someone around here was paying anything near $2 a pound for insulated 12 gauge.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,462 Times in 668 Posts
    First make sure the person came about the wire legally. Offer them 20 cents a pound under what your yard will pay you. If you're getting commercial pricing from your yard, your offer should be close to board pricing for them. Are you going to try and strip it yourself?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yes, I will be stripping myself. I located a buyer near me offering 0.10 a lb over what any yard near me is paying. That is for bare #1.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,462 Times in 668 Posts
    Are you going to use a stripping machine?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    markets currently up paying $2.55 lb for 12awg THHN wire. the market is a crap shoot, can change for the better and the worse.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Wow you guys pay a lot for wire. I just bought 20,000 pounds from about ten yards and paid $1.80
    Jim Dwyer
    President/Founder High Voltage Processing
    www.highvoltagepro.com
    484-226-9323

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Freonjoe, I will be using a manual one I seen on ebay. It seems to work well and its what I can swing for now.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    High voltage I could not pay $1.80 lb , it's impractical to the area. I paid 1 guy $1.84 lb for 42 lbs of romex, and $1.48 lb for 164 lbs of cat5 today and I didn't think twice about it. my buyer has reacurring contracts with a smelter here in the midwest and does not do off the street buys, the broker for the foreign market didn't pay as much. It's pretty competitive here in the midwest, pretty safe to say cut throat. As everyone should already know one minute the markets down and the next its up and it can fluctuate that fast. My intentions of posting my prices was to show diversity in the industry, its not a dog and pony show. I commend you in your success and as I stated up top "what works for me may not work for you" and vise versa. Not putting you down, just stating my facts.
    Last edited by rewire; 02-24-2012 at 10:55 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    All the yards here are paying one price for insulated - about $0.70 / pound. I'm just saving all my heavy stuff for now, hopefully I can find time to work on a granulator of my own. I might even just start advertising to buy everyone's romex and thhn and resell it in bulk to the guys on here. Wont be too hard to beat 70 cents and still make a profit.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    All I am saying is the east coast is very competitive. We do sit on the spot where all the boats go to China. Not putting you down here and if the model you have works for you then I am glad for you. I just pick and choose where I buy. Many yards here are selling at $2.25- $2.50, I just look for smaller ones that don't get the love from the many brokers in the area.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to High Voltage Processing for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thirsty View Post
    Wow. The price has gone down and it has the extra attachments. Glad I waited. Think I will be ordering this tomorrow.

I have learned not to order stuff on line while drinking. Even not drinking. it is best to wait a day and make sure, but I'll bet I order this bad boy tomorrow.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by parrothead View Post
    Wow. The price has gone down and it has the extra attachments. Glad I waited. Think I will be ordering this tomorrow.

I have learned not to order stuff on line while drinking. Even not drinking. it is best to wait a day and make sure, but I'll bet I order this bad boy tomorrow.
    LOL! Just ordered mine tonight. $79.99 with free shipping. Ill let you know how it works as soon as it arrives. I say drink, order and be merry my friend!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by racerboy832 View Post
    Is it ever worth it to ship wire to another processor? I have about 60lbs of Stripped BX wire. I don't have the patience to strip it down further. Looks like local yard is paying 1.60lb.
    I guess it would all depend on shipping costs, I would probably say not, but could be wrong.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rewire View Post
    High voltage I could not pay $1.80 lb , it's impractical to the area. I paid 1 guy $1.84 lb for 42 lbs of romex, and $1.48 lb for 164 lbs of cat5 today and I didn't think twice about it. my buyer has reacurring contracts with a smelter here in the midwest and does not do off the street buys, the broker for the foreign market didn't pay as much. It's pretty competitive here in the midwest, pretty safe to say cut throat. As everyone should already know one minute the markets down and the next its up and it can fluctuate that fast. My intentions of posting my prices was to show diversity in the industry, its not a dog and pony show. I commend you in your success and as I stated up top "what works for me may not work for you" and vise versa. Not putting you down, just stating my facts.
    Your market is the reason for the skewed pricing that people read on here and cant figure out why the rest of the US doesnt pay that high and think they are getting screwed. Jim's pricing is some of the best in the region. The local yards here on cat 5 are currently at .80-1.05/lb.
    http://www.clrsolutionsnj.com
    recycle@clrsolutionsnj.com
    877-CLR-SOLU
    CLR Solutions is Your Partner in Secure Data Management and IT Asset Disposition

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    CLR you have proven your knowledge in ewaste, I will give you that. Your last post just goes to show your lack of knowledge in the copper market! You can't just take information that someone told you and regurgitate it as fact. The only thing that is skewed is your perception of this matter. You obviously have taken my post to jim personal, and took it upon yourself to defend him. He's a big boy and if I offended him he would speak freely. Ill finish this later im late for OSHA

22. The Following User Says Thank You to rewire for This Post:

23. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Urgent!! I need ROMEX and THHN badly
      By High Voltage Processing in forum Scrap Buyers & Sellers
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 09-16-2011, 07:13 AM
    2. ? on insulated copper
      By stangcrazy in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 06-08-2011, 05:40 AM
    3. #1 insulated copper
      By con in forum Scrap Metal Prices