Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's the Best way to dismantle aluminum semi trailer?

| Dismantling, Breaking Down & Maximizing Scrap
    Manlio started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Question What's the Best way to dismantle aluminum semi trailer?

We are new to this and have 3 trailers to dismantle. Can anyone help me with where to start first and what tools are best?
    Thank You!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Manlio View Post
    Can anyone help me with where to start first
    Either end of the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Manlio View Post
    what tools are best
    A hammerfore
    I know lying is wrong, but if the elephant man came in now in a blouse with some make up on, and said, "How do I look?" Would you say, bearing in mind he's depressed and has respiratory problems, would you say, "Go and take that blusher off you mis-shapened elephant tranny?" No. You'd say, "You look nice... John""

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Depending one what you got to spend either buy or rent a gas concrete saw get a metal cut off blade cut the main supports then hook a chain to it and pull it over. But that's just my 2 cents i have never done it before.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    Perhaps sell them to a scraper who knows how. Stay safe, Mike.
    "Profit begins when you buy NOT when you sell." {quote passed down to me from a wise man}

Now go beat the copper out of something, Miked

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Miked- I think he should go with that

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Sell it to a scrap yard with a shredder take off all the tires but two of them and find someone to haul it there and slap scrap trailer in spray paint on the back of the trailer. Should be worth at least 15 to 18 cents a lb unprepared to the yard with said shredder. They will deduct 100 lbs usually per tire.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Buy a plasma cutter like the 650 invertor one from Harbor Freight. Start cutting. Or rent a gas powered concrete saw with a metal blade. Those are the only ways. I also vouch the hf unit works well. Just bought one and cut a stainless steel dairy tub. Almost 100% duty cycle, you cant keep up with the machine.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,350 Posts
    I have done this before and u can look at my thread...it even has pics....U don't need all those fancy tools, I did mine with a hammer, a breaker bar, a sawzall, a truck and a chain
    Anyway do what you want but I have done many of these larger projects and the key to making money is spending as little as possbile LOL

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeinreco for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzy214 View Post
    Buy a plasma cutter like the 650 invertor one from Harbor Freight. Start cutting. Or rent a gas powered concrete saw with a metal blade. Those are the only ways. I also vouch the hf unit works well. Just bought one and cut a stainless steel dairy tub. Almost 100% duty cycle, you cant keep up with the machine.
    Those are the only ways huh....U rent that saw and u will spend a fortune on blades.....The plasma cutter I don't know....Just use your sawzall with some this demo blades and you'll be just fine

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Sawzall blades get quite expensive and if I wanted to be vibrated all day long, I would stay home with the old lady...lmao.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    It's a;; in what you are willing to do to maximize profits, keep expenses down and get the job done in a timely manner

13. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by mikeinreco:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have done a few and finally found a good cheap way to do it without major equipment. I did have access to air but electric should do it as well. I use a 4 and 1/2 inch grinder with a Dewalt 1/8 cutting/grinding wheel, I ground off the rivet heads and punched the pins through. The sheets came apart nicely and it went quicker than expected. I carefully took the corner sections ( the radius's) apart and sold them for $250 each..the are often damaged and easily sold. Cutting aluminum is always a hassle and hard on blades.

15. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by Area67:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Just curious what a typical 53' trailer with a ribbed alum floor would weigh (intact, or prepped, or broken down into alum/steel, or whatever). I've done a fair number of tractors, but never a trailer. Thanks!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have cut up several semi trailers and I now use a 220 plasma cutter but mine is set up for next week month or year. If this is a one shot deal cutting torch and axe. It is hard to advise some body if you don't know the whole story are you a scrapper or just to make beer or gas money.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I am also trying to dismantle an OLD semi trailer, probably from the 1960s. For two days we used a sawzall with 14tpi blades, and got very little done. Someone recommended an angle grinder but said the blades would be ate up fast. someone recommended a torch. someone recommended a bandsaw. I have found that aluminum with a sawzall is very difficult because of the constant vibrating. this trailer is 75 percent aluminum... the sides, the floor, with only steel beams underneath and steal hinges on the doors. the sawzall goes through the steel like a hot knife through butter. what is best for aluminum? a torch? a grinder with cutoff blades? what brand do you recommend for this job? dewalt? skil? hitachi? etc? I need something heavy duty. the owner of the trailer is willing to pay up to 2000 dollars to have it cut up and hauled off to a scrap yard. dont know why, but he is. so please help us figure something out.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    My father suggested doing this... but in order to haul it to a scrap yard in a trailer, dont you have to still find something to cut the aluminum into smaller peices after removing it from the sides?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I'd consider hauling it in the way it is if you're near a shredder. Pistone mentioned earlier in the thread, .15-.18 cents per pound, it adds up quick.
    If you want to cut it up, I'd say the quickest way would be a plazma cutter. The other thing I would think of is put a add on CL and sell it to some one who is set up to handle the trailer. Collect their money, plus the $2,000 from the owner.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I'm currently working on a beverage truck. The fastest/cheapest way for me was a maul and log chain/truck. There will be no easy way to do it. If I were to do it over again I would have bought a plasma cutter which is on my list to buy anyway.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dmm2442 View Post
    I'm currently working on a beverage truck. The fastest/cheapest way for me was a maul and log chain/truck. There will be no easy way to do it. If I were to do it over again I would have bought a plasma cutter which is on my list to buy anyway.
    Is it one of the 14 or 16 bay trucks? Any idea on the weight of it? We cut one up last year, but for some reason never figured up the weight. With someone who has experience using a plasma cutter, it can be done in a day.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Hey justjunkin your pm box if full.

24. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Weight of a 45ft semi trailer
      By ResourcefulRecycling in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 12-04-2022, 01:51 PM
    2. 37 ft. aluminum semi trailer
      By klm in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 18
      Last Post: 02-22-2018, 12:48 PM
    3. Whats the best way to break down a semi trailer?
      By injunbin in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 05-19-2014, 04:18 PM
    4. aluminum bridge up in the mountains - how to dismantle
      By alibama in forum Dismantling, Breaking Down & Maximizing Scrap
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 09-02-2012, 03:33 PM
    5. Scrap Semi Aluminum and Convert the steel the frame to...
      By chrisw8189 in forum More than Scrap Value
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 07-21-2012, 11:43 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information