Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stainless steal milk tub cutting

| Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
    ozzy214 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Stainless steal milk tub cutting

I have a stainless steel tub. I think it's purpose is to stir the milk and refrigerate it. It is stainless steel, but their is insulation in between the walls. As well as some kind of bladder or tubes for the water to run to cool the unit. Any ideas to cut this up"?

I tried a circular saw with a metal cutting disk. All it did is eat the disk up in 30 seconds or less. I tried the sawzall and ate up my 14 tpi blades in minutes. All my little torch is heat it cherry, didnt even melt like stainless steel usually does.

Any ideas? Doubt the yard will give me clean price at 65c a lb. And this bastard is at least 750 lbs plus.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
    Use a 9 inch angle grinder with a Cutoff disc or a Plasma cutter.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I wish I had a plasma cutter man or the funds. Just cost me 70 in labor and fuel just to get it home. Are you sure a 9 inch grinder will cut it"? I tried the 4 1'/2 grinder and the circular saw oxide disc...just ate them alive literally. Did nothing

I hate seeing a couple hundrend slip[ out of my fingers because I dont own a plasma cutter....
    Last edited by ozzy214; 01-29-2012 at 11:09 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    I've tried cutting SS with cutoffs. Eats wheels pretty fast. Know anyone with a plasma cutter? Might toss an ad on CL under gigs asking if someone would cut it for $50 or so. Or they could send in a offer. Might get some bored guy that will cut it for the cost of gas to come out.

Or bite the bullet and buy a plasma cutter. That's my next toy on the list.
    Last edited by IdahoScrapper; 01-30-2012 at 12:31 AM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Good idea. I tried craigslist. See what happens....... Any other ideas...."?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Abrasive cutting disks specifically for stainless are available in 4, 4.5, 5,6,7 and other sizes. Check out Walter abrasives.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to scrapper321 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Is it still loaded? If not and it's not too much hassle to load up again you might drive it to a few welder/fabricator shops and see what they'd charge to cut it up. My thoughts with a shop is it will cost more than you'll get back when you turn the scrap in. But maybe you'll find someone reasonable.

Have you figured out what the difference is clean over dirty?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Its currently 65c clean I think 30c dirty, not sure yet. Im gonna cut the rest of the metal legs out of it in the am. Then try to run it...if they say dirty, then I willl find someone. IM not losing 300 if I can help it....

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    You can probably sell it for $1000, like it is. A lot of homestead farms coming up all over the place, that are trying to get rich selling raw milk.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Concreate saw with abrasive disk works great on stainless and you can rent them from most rental places. I cut up a stainless semi tanker in 3 hours usesing only 2 disks.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    yeah try to find a farming forum or cheese forum and list it in the classified section. I found some trans-am and porsche parts and have done well on the said forums.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wavecrazed for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavecrazed View Post
    yeah try to find a farming forum or cheese forum and list it in the classified section.
    Others who are looking for used stainless bulk tanks are maple syrup makers, apple cider producers, and winemakers. I see wanted ads up here all the time.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Too late...I already started to cut the tank. Its destroyed. Found out its going for tin price. concrete saw wont work if a cutting wheel on a circular got eaten alive. Any member her In Ne Pa by Scranton want to work and has the plasma cutter needed to cut it up, pmme.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    metal disks do work you need a lot because stainless will eat through them all day long.

there is no better way trust me.

if i were you depends if i could hook out all the insulation out id scrap it as is and move on to the next cow accessory.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jackshmuc for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Jack Im figuring it 750lbs stainless with insulation. Lets say it 625 after insulation and tubes removed. Thats $406 usd at 65c lb. Now lets take 750lbs dirty. I was told shred price due to the amount of work to clean it and get it down to 4x4. So 13c lb shred at 750 is 97.50. Now ya a biz man what would you do"? To me if I paid a guy say 2 bills, then Im still ahead. Its also not feasible to burn discs. I burned $10.00 discs already in 5 mins or less. Luckily I picked them on the cheap for less than that, but still. If noone wants to work, f them. I put a ad on craigs and called 3 welding shops. Not one bite. But yet we in America have huge bread lines and crying no work, it truly amazes me. There is work everywhere, but yet noone wants to do it.

Anyway Im going way off base. And Im sorry to rant. Just wanted to make a point. I hate throwing away money. So I put the tub in storage sorta. Im gonna push some stuff around and buy the 240 plasma cutter from Horror Freight. Even know I posted here and couldnt get a straight answer one way or the other if it was junk, Im going to get it for 500 and change with the 20% copuon. Probaly get the extended warranty as well. Then cut it up and make my money back one job. Then run around the farm and cut 6 cars up and make more money that is otherwise impossible to retrieve. Which we tried today with a rollback and it was absolutely impossible. I broke the lead on my 4500 winch today I just bought 2 weeks ago as well.

So the lesson is it takes money to make more money. But then ya may have the tool for life and will no longer have to refuse a job again.

The offer still stands otherwise if anyone by Scranton, Pa wants to make a buck or 2 and cut it in 4x4 sheets. Not goign anywhere anytime soon. Have a good night Gents and Ladies!

Btw A wise man once told me I made a lot of money doing things that others wouldnt or said impossible.....Im the same....
    Last edited by ozzy214; 01-30-2012 at 10:05 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    how thick is the stainless? would a carbide steel blade in a circular saw do the trick?

gustavus is offline Metal Recycling Entrepreneur
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IronPirate View Post
    how thick is the stainless? would a carbide steel blade in a circular saw do the trick?
    Diamond blade in circular saw cuts stainless steel.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    One thing I use on larger gauge metal and ss is a portaband or portable bandsaw. Blades are around 20 for three. I've cut quite a few car frames on just one blade. Only drawback for them is the depth. Only 4 inches. I've just learned to Peel back the metal. I picked this one up at a pawn shop for 20 bucks although it was about 10 years ago. They work great for stuff like this. Plus they cut really fast. Good luck and don't give up. Where there is a will there is a way.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    i was just thinking I have used nibblers on the thin stainless and they work better then grinder if the steel is up to say 10 gauge.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
    Thats a lot of discs to use in that time..

What size were they? Is the metal 'jumping' or grabbing when you cut it?
    Are you cutting upwards or downwards ('climbing' or 'undercutting' the metal?)

I have seen some pretty bizarre ways to grind in my time & I'm sure I haven't seen them all...

Just interested

24. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Why do people that work at the scrap yard steal
      By camdaddy in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 06-02-2013, 07:36 PM
    2. Why do people that work at the scrap yard steal
      By camdaddy in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 11-10-2012, 02:14 PM
    3. Bath Tub.....Is this shred?
      By TXf250 in forum Dismantling, Breaking Down & Maximizing Scrap