Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Catalytic converter removal - the easy way

| Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
    RichardCourtney started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Catalytic converter removal - the easy way

Today i decided to go deal with some AWD subaru i had bought. i got the rad, alternator, etc out pretty easily. but then there's the catalytic converter. i got this sucker out without jacking the car up, without cutting or torching, without breaking a sweat, in about 90 seconds. how? i bought a tow-rope, with a loop on the end, not the hook, and looped it around the pipe between the downpipe flange and the cat, and tightened it. i put the other loop around the hitch on my bumper, and floored it. without any noticable shock to my truck, i snapped the clean, un-rusted exhaust pipe in half. i backed up, loosened the loop, and put it on the other side of the cat. once again i floored it, and it snapped the bolts off the nearest flange, ripped a hanger, and came right out. i paid $30 for the rope at princess automotive near toronto, best $30 i ever spent. a lot cheaper than a torch

2. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by RichardCourtney:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    If you decide to try this, make sure you buy one that looks like this

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/prod...Recovery-Strap

they come in different thicknesses, from 1 inch all the way to 6. dont buy the 1 inch, it will not last long at all, as every time you rip a cat off, it gets slightly frayed. when mine gives out, ill be buying a 3 inch
    Last edited by RichardCourtney; 01-24-2012 at 06:19 AM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Just be careful something doesn't come flying through your truck's back window. Recovery straps were not designed for sudden shock force.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

5. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mick:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Just be careful something doesn't come flying through your truck's back window. Recovery straps were not designed for sudden shock force.
    Mick is right, those things stretch and some times when they let go, things go flying.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic688 View Post
    Mick is right, those things stretch and some times when they let go, things go flying.
    I think I will just watch the Youtube video from the safety of my office chair.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KzScrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Exactly right. We had a man here that got killed doing something very similar to this. I won't be using this particular suggestion.
    AMERICAN BORN, AMERICAN BRED! AND I'M PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Be carefull not to break the converter into peices internally, this will effect the value alot. Subaru's often have 2 cats somtimes 3. Many different pricing on these suckers some call each mini foriegn or "kidneys". Good luck

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    ah, well i guess it wasnt a secret, more of a dumb idea. i got $100 for the two cats though! not too shabby. it didnt seem all that voilent coming off either, nothing went flying

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MBMetals View Post
    Be carefull not to break the converter into peices internally, this will effect the value alot. Subaru's often have 2 cats somtimes 3. Many different pricing on these suckers some call each mini foriegn or "kidneys". Good luck
    How is value affected? Aren't cats decanned and the comb pulverized to begin the recovery process?

That's my understanding of how it's done. I thought the point was you wouldn't want to break it up and potentially lose PMs.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoScrapper View Post
    How is value affected? Aren't cats decanned and the comb pulverized to begin the recovery process?

That's my understanding of how it's done. I thought the point was you wouldn't want to break it up and potentially lose PMs.
    Buyers will somtime grade the cat as 3/4's or half and pay you accordingly if they think peices are missing.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I see. Well so far I've been careful in cutting them off and not throwing them around.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,988 Times in 746 Posts
    i posted this a few weeks ago but here it is again if anyone missed it , we use our bobcat most of the time, or sometimes we stop the car halfway up the trailer with one set of tires on the ground and the other on the trailer and crawl under, both of these ways are way safer than a jack

16. The Following User Says Thank You to corycouch for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yeah that was a dumb idea.I am also suprised that the cat came off that easy.I have seen big loaders have trouble breaking them off sometimes.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Sorry to bring back an older post... But each time I need to remove one, I go to the local autozone and use their loan-a-tool program. Pay $50 for a "tailpipe cutter", drop the cat in 1-2 minutes, then return the tool for a full refund. Its just a chain with cutting wheels in it and 2 handels to squeeze. Very easy to use, and works great in areas where you wouldnt have the room for a saw blade to be moving back and forth.

Wih as often as I rent these, I should really just break down and buy one seeing as ill start saving in gas. But its just been to easy to just go pick it up and have such a great tool to use for free. There was only one time they gave me one that was a little older, and it took a bit longer to cut, but every other time they have given me a lightly used, if not brand new one, which slices the pipe like butter. I wouldnt mess with exhaust systems without one.

19. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by CraigKapo:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I roll my cars over, either with the skid steer or if it's off at a job site I use a truck and chain to roll it over. Plenty of room to work on it then, using a 9" 14 tpi blade.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 594 Posts
    Craig why play it so safe and simple?
    When the white man discovered this country Indians were running it
    no taxes, no debt, women did all the work.
    White man thought he could improve on a system like this. - Old Cherokee saying

I did not surrender, they took my horse and made him surrender. - Lone Watie

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by injunjoe View Post
    Craig why play it so safe and simple?
    Well beyond scrapping, I also do exhaust work in my spare time to make a little extra money. Any time I would need to put in a new piece of pipe I would use it. Not only does it cut through it quickly and easily, but it also leaves a nice edge. Very helpful for exhaust repair, not important when scrapping.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to CraigKapo for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigKapo View Post
    Well beyond scrapping, I also do exhaust work in my spare time to make a little extra money. Any time I would need to put in a new piece of pipe I would use it. Not only does it cut through it quickly and easily, but it also leaves a nice edge. Very helpful for exhaust repair, not important when scrapping.
    My comment was actually a complement.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to injunjoe for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Sorry if I came off as defensive. I just think its a really handy tool. And the loan-a-tool program has bailed my butt out too many times to count.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,988 Times in 746 Posts
    i would like to see a pic of this tool i like tools now for the gas, we got an oil tank from a local equipment rental company this week 250 gallon come on a metal skid with a splill area also, we thinking of cleaning it out real good and keeping more of the gas that we get from the cars we scrap, when we get time, anyway we hoping that will be our free gas of course both my trucks are diesels

28. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Catalytic Converter
      By TexasDeere in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: 10-25-2019, 11:49 PM
    2. Value of this catalytic converter?
      By HyderConsulting in forum Vehicle Recycling
      Replies: 24
      Last Post: 10-25-2019, 11:46 PM
    3. Catalytic converter
      By BubbasGarage in forum Vehicle Recycling
      Replies: 72
      Last Post: 04-21-2015, 03:24 PM
    4. How Much Can I Get For This 98 Firebird Catalytic Converter?
      By Ptscrapper in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 01-24-2012, 10:30 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information