trailer bed.. wood or metal?

| Tools and Equipment
    MandDMetal started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

trailer bed.. wood or metal?

What's up fellow scrappers? I'm redoing a trailer, its just a utility trailer for general scrap. I won't be hauling cars with it...at least I don't think... Haha. anyway it is about 5x10. What material would I want to use to surface it with? Some semi hefty gauge metal sheet or some 2x10 planks? I am confident enough in my welding to weld some sheet on there but which am I better off with?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    That is good question my trailer bed is made from wood and i have had to problems with it. I think i would stick with wood beause i will not be as noisy with a load of scrap but thats just what i would do.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts
    my trailer is wood, but I covered the back 3/4 in sheet stainless. and cary a sheet to cover the other 1/4. this allows me to slide heavy stuff to the front but also allows me to haul stuff in the front 1/4 and not slide arround. Best of both worlds.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have redone several trailers and one thing I have found out in the scrap world (you can never over build) if it were me I would surface my trailer with steel. easy load, easy unload. And you may dent it but you will never destroy it as long as you use a good gauge of metal. My old man used to say "wood is for burning" just my 2 pennys
    krazyJ

5. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by KrazyJ:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    The most durable one I have has 2x4s across the bottom, I fling heavier things such as refrigerators, stoves, etc. over the sides and haven't torn the bottom up yet.

**When I say fling I mean I'm propping it up on the sides and shoving it in there by myself. That poor trailer is very abused, but not intentionally of course!!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I would go with a wood plank deck because it's more economical, lasts a reasonable length of time and is relatively non-slip and easy to replace.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Resourceful for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,023 Times in 2,350 Posts
    my trailer is 18 ft of solid steel with a 9000lb winch and is indestructible.....I have had both and steel is the only way to go wood tears up easily and needs constant maintenance

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeinreco for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Never had to replace planks. I use my trailers full time scrapping. Mind you I get a different trailer every 5 years but always used.
    hr2cents

MandDMetal started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Wow thanks a lot for ask the input. What gauge steel? Looks like there's a cross brace about every foot.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    I like to use wood my self. If you cover the bottom of the wood with tar it would last a good time.

One thing I love about good is once I am done with the wood (as long its not to beat up) There are people who will buy it and use it to make tables or other items. They love the markings it gets from use...takes a nice stain as well....now the wood workers dont like the tar on the bottom...but they can remove it.

On avg by the time I sell the wood to them I can re-deck the trailer and still have some money on the side.
    My company name was Easy Recycle but has since been closed
    My Name Stephan Harz
    My YouTube page

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    What about a compromise? Deck it with 2x(whatever) and then get a few pieces of steel to mount to the decking say, every other plank, that way it isnt as costly but yet things can still be slid on the metal planks? Just my $.02, what do you all think?

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    For a utility tr. I would go with 3/4" or 1" plywood screwed down, that way if you had to replace it, just undo the screws.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,276 Times in 348 Posts
    I have found that useing both a steel bed with 2*10's on top,I did this some years ago and never have had a proublem with the bed of any of my trailers costs a few more in the begining but well worth a extra few bucks.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 898 Posts
    I have a wood floor on my car trailer for two reasons, weight and cost. Plus wood doesn't let stuff slide round like steel does. Replaced my floor two years ago with pressure treated pine and Thompson weather sealed it six months after that. Still running strong 2 years later. Would've had to add more stringers running across to support even with 14 gauge tread plate, money, and several sheets of tread plate, more money, and bunch of welding to put it all together, more time and money. So I went with good old pine.
    Alvord iron and salvage
    3rd generation scrapper and dam proud of it

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MandDMetal View Post
    Wow thanks a lot for ask the input. What gauge steel? Looks like there's a cross brace about every foot.
    Would go with at least 14 gauge, 11 gauge would be even better but would add a noticable amount of weight and cost. I used 11 gauge to plate the floor of my pickup bed trailer and I don't beleive it's got any dents in it at all

19. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Trailer Brand names. Looking for a Tandem Axle trailer for Scrapping.
      By Kochy in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 08-25-2014, 11:40 PM
    2. Replies: 11
      Last Post: 08-23-2012, 11:19 AM
    3. pick up bed trailer
      By taterjuice in forum Tools and Equipment
      Replies: 27
      Last Post: 06-20-2012, 08:23 PM
    4. Hooked on metal - question on Bed Frames
      By mrzip in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 05-27-2011, 07:10 PM
    5. Colorado - DVW SERVICES-We will Recycle for you! Metal Debris, automobiles, appliances, and wood
      By Patton in forum Scrap Metal Removal, Junk Car Removal and Metal Recycling Services
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 05-07-2011, 01:20 PM

Thread Information