Scrapped a garage door opener

| Scrap Metal Videos
    Gnraxlrose88 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Sorry for the crappy video, I didn't know a ipod video would have this reaction on youtube. I had a better vid but lost the sound...well just a look into a garage door opener

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,462 Times in 668 Posts
    Did you break down the motor for the windings?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Not yet joe, I have a big pile of motors i have to break down still, trying to get bigger items out of the way before moving onto the smaller

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Another timely video. I just had a garage door opener replaced/repaired last week (door & tracks replaced/motor repaired). The old stuff is still laying around waiting for me to get to it. I'd bought a supposedly brand new motor at a garage sale. Turned out there are parts missing so repaired the old one and scrapping the "new" one.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 893 Posts
    Found 2 of those in the last couple of months. Love the aluminum but hate the greese. The windings are alum wire. Better than nothin

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greytruck View Post
    Found 2 of those in the last couple of months. Love the aluminum but hate the greese. The windings are alum wire. Better than nothin
    That opener sounds like an old old Genie opener where the armature was part of the screw, all one piece. Most openers are indeed copper wound.
    Trick to those screw drive openers is to not let it sit in the weather or the screw will seize up in the aluminum rail. A little WD-40 will loosen up the old grease in the rail.
    When the white man discovered this country Indians were running it
    no taxes, no debt, women did all the work.
    White man thought he could improve on a system like this. - Old Cherokee saying

I did not surrender, they took my horse and made him surrender. - Lone Watie

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    i like dude's drunk cheech and chong impression.
    We're the renegades of Junk!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Filthy for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Another timely video. I just had a garage door opener replaced/repaired last week (door & tracks replaced/motor repaired). The old stuff is still laying around waiting for me to get to it. I'd bought a supposedly brand new motor at a garage sale. Turned out there are parts missing so repaired the old one and scrapping the "new" one.
    Mick if that opener is a screw drive be sure to use only the right grease on the screw. That is the biggest mistake people make. The steel screw wears on the aluminum and over time gets louder and louder. People grab some wheel bearing grease or what ever they around and glob it on the rail. When the weather gets cold the grease gets stiff and the 8' long screw can't turn freely in the rail! With the exception of the above mentioned one piece shaft most openers will never have a motor go on them! All other openers have either a gear(nylon) or a coupler that takes the wear and tear.

Most openers can be fixed for very little money in parts. First thing is to test the capacitor and gears.

Anyone has troubles with any opener I can help!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to injunjoe for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    The old one that got fixed is a Lift Master (chain). The garage sale one is a Genie. So I'm probably glad he fixed the old one. The one on the wife's side is a Chaimberlain (chain). I learn something almost every day. Thanks, Joe.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    The old one that got fixed is a Lift Master (chain). The garage sale one is a Genie. So I'm probably glad he fixed the old one. The one on the wife's side is a Chaimberlain (chain). I learn something almost every day. Thanks, Joe.
    The Lift Master is made by Chaimberlain. The Craftsman are also Chaimberlain. There chain drives are all the same inside with the exception of the motor size in some cases. I like how they try to sell you a 3/4 HP when for years and years the 1/3 did a fine job! it's the same gear in between the motor and the door, also the same set of drive bushings!

Once a year you should open it up and grease the two gears. Be sure to not over do it as the grease will fly off and block the opto-luctor, a little photo eye inside that senses when the door hits something. Be sure to unplug it first the case is metal and the board is right there and will short out.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 893 Posts
    Yes, one was a genie. The other I dont rember what it was. The rail wasnt one piece. it came apart. The motors have red coated wire. Didnt get to strippin it yet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I still havn't gotten to the motor, but from what I can see the windings look like copper...you can kinda see it in the video...

Hell if it's aluminum i think i'd just sell it as a motor and not bother breaking it down

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnraxlrose88 View Post
    I still havn't gotten to the motor, but from what I can see the windings look like copper...you can kinda see it in the video...

Hell if it's aluminum i think i'd just sell it as a motor and not bother breaking it down
    You can leave the motor mounted to the case, just remove the two screws going through the motor and tap the motor case open. The core will pull out with little trouble.

Under that black cover is a transformer mounted on the board.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Oh wanted to mention the rails for the opener were made from recycled steel from railroad tracks!
    Now the rails are cheap crap! I save the good old solid rails and put them on new opener heads and scrap the new rails!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    so joe, what are they considered at the scrap yard? Right now I have no use for them, nowhere to really keep them...are they just shred? I feel kinda dumb askin, but I don't deal with alot of metals like that yet

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnraxlrose88 View Post
    so joe, what are they considered at the scrap yard? Right now I have no use for them, nowhere to really keep them...are they just shred? I feel kinda dumb askin, but I don't deal with alot of metals like that yet
    If you are talking about the rails it is just shred.

The motor is easy money! You will be surprised how easy it comes apart. Then just take the copper out.

I forgot to mention on the board there will also be three little relays they have a little coil in them. I use a large pair of end nippers to just cut through stuff like that and have the copper in no time. If it don't fit in the nipper jaws I have bolt cutters that work great also!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I know how easy they come apart, ive broken down motors similar to this, out of fans and such. I actually finally bought a sawzall last night so i can cut stuff up easier. Plus i have a pair of long handled wire cutters that open pretty wide and have extra leverage due to the long handles. My good ones are Blue Point, but i have a cheaper one from harbor freight too

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Thanks for the tutorial guide you posted here... I`m sure your Post is very helpful to us. Good work!

Garage Door Repair Germantown

21. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Aluminum Door w/ glass
      By Scrapper2010 in forum Non ferrous metal recycling
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 06-19-2017, 05:20 PM
    2. Door knobs
      By Dru702 in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 12-14-2015, 10:09 PM
    3. Clearances for a door?
      By KR74868 in forum Off Topic Discussions