Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

scrapping a big rig, tractor trailer, 18 wheeler

| Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
    corycouch started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,988 Times in 746 Posts

scrapping a big rig, tractor trailer, 18 wheeler

okay guys i know i just wore you guys out with the tow truck. i done a quick search and didnt really see anything. got a call 5 minutes ago to scrap 6 big trucks just the tractor not the trailer. ive got my concrete saw, cutting torch, bobcat excavator, my car hauler my equipment trailerand both my trucks. gonna do them on the half (split the money with the owner) as i didn't know the weights to make a fair offer. they are road trucks with sleepers so im assuming they are long. gonna meet the owner on saturday. go ahead let me have it all opinions advice are accepted thanks again cory couch

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Why not throw a few hundred his way for one of them...take it in, see what it is..then you have an idea for the rest of them, unless they are all different.

Granted, 1/2 is better than 0, but that is just a thought.

The very FEW times I have bought scrap, that is what I did.
    George Beale - Founder & President - info@viprecyclingjunkremoval.com
    VIP Recycling Junk Removal LLC - Premier Scrap Metal, Junk, & Electronic Recyclers!
    http://www.viprecyclingjunkremoval.com

3. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by GeorgeB:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,335 Posts
    I think I would do this on the easy and call your local yard and see if they can do the pickup of these trucks. then split that cash with the owner. No work on your end other than a phone call. Quick easy buck and your not tied up for a week tearing them apart unless you have nothing else pending.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PartTimeScrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    he said they have done them before but were too busy to now. he said they ranged between 2500 and 3000 scrap value sounded kinda high to me but im willing to try. we almost always pay unless we do other jobs while we are there then take the scrap as payment.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    Spit the profit after costs are covered. Cost = fuel, and labor. No one will work for free...there is X amount of labor that is needed along with fuel and trucking costs.

Work fast and dont drag your feet and it should be good.
    My company name was Easy Recycle but has since been closed
    My Name Stephan Harz
    My YouTube page

8. The Following User Says Thank You to easyrecycle for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    And if you do tie up a week and use all your own equipment (saws, cutting rigs, bob cats, haulers, gas, etc.) then the half split should come after your expenses. Not before.
    AMERICAN BORN, AMERICAN BRED! AND I'M PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!

10. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by skylinejack:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    we dont drag our feet they rarely hit theground we have done farm equipment on the half and done pretty good we cover all the explenses ourselves. im gonna check the yards and see what they say i like the pickup idea, i may just have to spend a day ripping the good stuff off.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    should ne easy google gvw and the truck type it might be on the door on the inside of it. keep in mind the cab is shredd the rezt is hms. tires cost money to dispose of.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PistoneScrapProcessing for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Lookey there easy. I musta been typing my 2 cents while you were posting yours. They sure do look similar. lol

15. The Following User Says Thank You to skylinejack for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Lol I see that sky....my thought and the way I see things....why should someone get half of the money when they do nothing to help? Yes it may be there stuff but it was my know how, labor, tools and trucks...so unless they are jumping into it as well and putting 50% of the work....then it should be 50% after cost....now..I don't think I would have a tool rental costs...but any blades or gasses used for the cut up should be replaced. Just my thought.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to easyrecycle for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I changed my original answer because i was wrong a tractor weighs about 23,000 lbs.
    Last edited by Ptscrapper; 01-04-2012 at 09:44 PM.
    “If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend six sharpening my axe.”

Abraham Lincoln
    http://junkcarbuyersraleighnc.com

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptscrapper View Post
    Ive been a trucker for 10 years and if im not mistaken a tractor/big rig weighs in the 30,000 lb range. I know it sounds crazy but i think im right.
    Not to crazy if you sit down and take a good look at them....there under body is crazy and there over all built is heavy duty...they can haul as much as 30 some odd tons...but..I am not a trucker so not 100% sure on weights.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Guess I should have mentioned the hydraulic tank if it has a wet kit and the diesel tank plus oil, brake, and radiator fluid. I have cut up what feels like a million of them they are one of my least favorite things to cut up. first thing cut the cab bolts second cut the steering columm third remove cab Now you have the body motor tranny and two rear ends with a few gallons of highly flammable oil them. Good luck.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PistoneScrapProcessing for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Depending on the truck a lot of them have fiberglass cabs and sleepers. Might have alum rims, but I'm guessing steel.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanic688 for This Post:

gustavus is offline Metal Recycling Entrepreneur
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PistoneScrapProcessing View Post
    should ne easy google gvw and the truck type it might be on the door on the inside of it. keep in mind the cab is shredd the rezt is hms. tires cost money to dispose of.
    Not my favorite aluminum scrap to prepare for clean aluminum, plenty of hidden steel braces and rivets hiding in the structure.

Then sometimes you find undercoating and glued carpet in the sleeper.The guy is baiting you into doing a job he wants no part of and will not complain when you had is tid bit share over to him once the job is completed.

Not a hope in he ll your going to gross the amounts he quoted you, closer to $1500.00 and that is the high end of my estimate.

If you have a yard nearby that has a shredder make a deal to get paid on aluminum shred then take the cab in whole, save yourself some grief.

Should you decide to prepare the cabs as clean aluminum it's a learning experience, have fun.

25. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by gustavus:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    thanks again for the comments, i know im catching alot of heat for doing it on the half, but if these actually weigh out at 22000 to 30000 lbs even if steel falls to 10cents a lb next week if i do one a day my half would be 1100. we bear all expenses thats just the way we do it, if i use 10 concrete blades $60, 5 gallons of gas $18,5 bottles of 2stroke oil 10 about $100 in diesel a day between two trucks and the bobcat, just for kicks our eats throw in the $22 thats $210 a day. that $890 a day split between me and my partner thats not even counting if the rims are alum, batteries and all the goodies we all love but im sure it would go above a $1000. i like to play my numbers safe so im not dissappointed id much rather be suprised ( my motto since i started working is expect the worse hope for the best it has alway worked out) i have a job right now that i didnt think id get till spring. we usually pay for scrap but this was a big clean up job,charged him $400 to clean up took in a load today and got $283, ill get done sometime tomorrow and probably get another 2 to 300, thats good money to me and thats in 2 days. if this works out i would be more than twice the rate ill have gotten today and tomorrow. im not trying to beat you guys up, im for sure a rookie at scrapping (feel free to check my introduction) and we would love to have the knowledge all you guys have thats why im always so open to ideas. you guys that have your routes set up and get enough business for free congrats, for you new guys like me offer $5 for a washing machine its worth 12 not even taking the wires and motor out sending straight to the shredder and trust me one call leads to another and another. just my input for whatever its worth. keep the ideas coming please all of them are very much appreciated

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    ive goooogled all i care to tonight looks like they weight anywhere from 6000 lbs to 80000 lbs LOL but honestly looks like 17500 was the most consistent answer i seen or at least close to it still good money for me, good night i got a long day tomorrow

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    the low end on weight is probably a day cab with single axle. a day cab has no sleeper.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanic688 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 904 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skylinejackjr View Post
    And if you do tie up a week and use all your own equipment (saws, cutting rigs, bob cats, haulers, gas, etc.) then the half split should come after your expenses. Not before.
    Correct, and if the guy is legit he will understand this and allow for it, most likely he would have to pay someone the same amount or more to do it if you didn't.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    don't forget resale value of individual parts - depending on make and model the axles, dash gauges, hoods, king pin etc should be worth some money above scrap price.

Sounds like a great opportunity - I always wanted to play with a semi!

32. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Need tips, and advice on trailer scrapping
      By nhquinn in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 09-15-2021, 04:18 PM
    2. Trailer Brand names. Looking for a Tandem Axle trailer for Scrapping.
      By Kochy in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 08-25-2014, 11:40 PM
    3. Scrapping A single wide trailer
      By kcscrapper in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 26
      Last Post: 11-21-2012, 09:52 PM
    4. Scrapping tractor trailers
      By chevyman95 in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 11-18-2012, 06:38 PM
    5. scrapping a trailer.. what would you do