Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Illinois Electronics Disposal Law Is In Effect

| General Electronics Recycling
    Midnight started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

New Illinois Electronics Disposal Law Is In Effect

http://darien-il.patch.com/articles/...-2012-fd56c342

I knew the new law was coming, but I hadn't heard of the potential $7000.00 fine before. Does anyone else smell opportunity?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Midnight for This Post:

Midnight started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Midnight for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts
    time to start figguring out the best recipie for lemonade . this will come to all states. the only problem I see is how to compete with the megga bucks guys. I noticed the "registered" part of the law. so that is probably step 1. but like it or not ( I dont) with registrtion you are opening the flood gate of regulation. oversight by the "overlords". and the viable probability of micro management from a miriod of agencies. It will happen it is unavoidable. so study the law and regulations. prepair your storage site. prepair your collection system. go to the agencies involved and ask questions, ignore their superior attitude at their offices , make the field reps (code enforcement) people your new BFF. ask for their help in learning the proper way to do things (they love that). caution only ask questions you know these field reps can answer. even if you already know the answeres. making one feel or look stupid is a big mistake. I covered this in my book "30 years on the road" when dealing with inspectors in the concession business. simply by asking the right questions, you can make the worst A hole inspector your best friend and mentor. one of you guys in Ill. need to volinteer to be the forum resident expert on these new regs up there.

as we all know these regs will hurt all but are made nesessary by those who dont use common sence or are out right outlaws. they always hurt those least able to afford them. but they are a sad fact of life.

6. The Following 5 Users say Thank You for This Post by EcoSafe:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    wait till the feds decide to require all recyclers to be certified. which will happen. they will get involved to make regulations uniform for all the states. then you will need a federal and state certification. a dozen different licenses.

i see a lot of money for the govt. and fewer small dealers.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    not to mention a few million in the bank. the feds see small business as worth an average of $5,,000,000

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    your right. the feds will run the small scrapper right out of business. but to be honest, some of the state regulations are going to do the same thing.

how many will be willing, or able, to pay for the license, insurance, bonds, etc., and wait for 15 days for a check to be mailed out.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    It's already happened in the UK. If you are doing a 'one-off' run to the scrap yard from your home to get rid of a few bits and pieces you are fine, but if you are scrapping regularly you need (or should have) licenses. If you take things to bits to scrap them, it can get costly and involved. You need a category 3 permission to scrap a pocket calculator, but if you want to scrap a electric toy train you need a category 7 permission. A lawmower is category 6, and a toaster is catefory 2. A microwave? Well that's a category 1.

Big fines if you are caught without a license.

11. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by wayne:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    any one who thinks a little regulation is ok and some even needed needs to read the above post very carefully. there is no sch thing as a little regulation, where any government is concerned.

in the early 80s a friend of mine basically invented in store snack stands in ca. by setting up a hotdog stand in front of the big whole sale store forgot the name of it, but any way it cost him about 100 bucks for a small grill a table and some coolers. today that same hot dog stand will cost you over $10,000 just to comply with regulations, and that is before you pay the required permits and liscensing or buy any hot dogs. this is what regulation will eventually get you. and by the way the outlaws, mostly illegals ,still set up there pirate tamally stands where ever they choose, so the only people regulated are those who can afford it and are honest people like you and me.
    Last edited by EcoSafe; 01-04-2012 at 04:08 PM.

13. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by EcoSafe:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Correct me if i am wrong, but the way i read the article it basically says that people are no longer allowed to throw their electronics in the garbage. We have tha same laws here in Jersey, i dont know if there is a fine but we do have the law. When I see one of these offending electronic items in the garbage I remove the offending item. :>)
    I have seen tvs setting curbside for weeks before the homeowner finally takes it to the recycling center. I have an ad on CL which I have had minimal responces from, but i did manage to pick up 4 complete towers from curbside.
    Sounds to me that the inovative scrappers in Ill need to post ads and get the word out that they will come and remove the homeowners e-waste free of charge, eliminating the need for the homeowner to make the trip to the recycling center. Just my .02

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    there is a line between required regulation and over regulation. i doubt if any of us want to go back to no regulation. you turn on your faucet and never worry if the water is safe. if the buildings will collapse. etc.

i do agree with your assessment that our govt just loves to over regulate. it is all about money. they get a fee for all of those required licenses. i spend a fair amount of money every year to meet all those of requirements. you should see my monthly insurance premium. enough to give you heart failure. and the paperwork is a nightmare.

what they have in europe is coming to america. will not matter what any of us think about it. all you can do is plan for it. some will get out, some will be forced out and some will pay to stay in.

it will be tougher for the unlicensed individual in the future. as more states require licensed transactions and accountability for weights, fewer yards will deal with an unlicensed transaction. which simply means the outlaw will have no where to sell their items.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    true if the regulation stays as it is, however past action is the predictor of future action. so here is the senario, acme electronic waste co. ( owned by the chinese or arabs or some one from India) approches or has rtheir lobbiest aproch senator Jack asss from ill, and says look we have all these trucks and the money to build a huge processing (seperation) plant in podunk ill. we can take care of the e waste problem and you dont have to deal with all those low life independents. we would employ 100 jobs ( minium wage and eliminate 1000 independent scrappers) for senator Jack A and acme this is a win win. acme gets a monoply on the scrap eliminates all compitition , senator Jack A gets to tell his constituants how he singly handled the ewast problem, eliminated the riff raf junk men and homless can collctors, single handedly created 100 jobs, (and incedently recieves a million dollar donation to his political pac
    am I just a nut job conspericy guy, read some history before you pass that judgement.

17. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by EcoSafe:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrooks715 View Post
    which simply means the outlaw will have no where to sell their items.
    Either that, or the legislation creates a thriving black market where someone with a license buys all they can from unlicensed individuals for a lot less than they get paid for driving it round the block and weighing it in. Illegal, yes. Which is why it would be highly profitable.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    those willing give up a little freedom for security will getnor deserve either. B Franklin (paraphrase)

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    “Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

“Without continual growth and progress, such words as improvement, achievement, and success have no meaning.”

both are franklin quotes. one is about personal liberties. the other is about the betterment of society.

society as a whole has benefited from many of the current regulations. the benefits of clean water or building codes have infringed on your personal liberties. they have kept your liberties from being infringed upon.

your complaints about over regulation and the corruption of our politicians are valid and correct. i have never met a politician who was not corrupt in my life time. seems to be the nature of politics. i once suggested hanging all politicians and starting over. a lot of folks got upset over that remark. i still think it is a good idea. but that is just my opinion.

we do not have the right to poison the environment simply because of a refusal to handle the toxic wastes and by products of our business' or personal use correctly.

it only takes a few to screw this up for the rest of us. since i have joined this forum, i have read several threads regarding the venting of freon, dumping various oils and incorrect handling & disposal of crt glass. and there are numerous federal and state regulations addressing that.

that just opens the door for the politicians to go crazy with regulations.

if you have a viable plan that will work you should present it to your legislators.

you know they will do this regardless of what any of us think.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    several american owned company's are quietly setting up to take over the ewaste business. they believe that the feds will regulate this and it will run all of the mid size and smaller dealers out. i agree with that assessment. i also believe that in 5 years this business will be entirely different than today and that 99% of those currently working in it will be gone.

i am currently an associate with the dell recycling program and am probably going to pull an r2 certification.

i tried to fight the govt a couple times. they are too big for any one person.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    agreed

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 431 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrooks715 View Post
    several american owned company's are quietly setting up to take over the ewaste business. they believe that the feds will regulate this and it will run all of the mid size and smaller dealers out. i agree with that assessment. i also believe that in 5 years this business will be entirely different than today and that 99% of those currently working in it will be gone.

i am currently an associate with the dell recycling program and am probably going to pull an r2 certification.

i tried to fight the govt a couple times. they are too big for any one person.
    Anyone who has been in the business for the last 5 years has seen this coming. The business was completely different 5 years ago, naturally 5 years from now the same will hold true.

What exactly were you fighting the government on?
    Specializing in Maximum value for mixed precious metal printed circuit boards and electronics

Check out our pricing and read some of our RAVING reviews: http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/scrap...tal-scrap.html
    QUESTIONS? Email us: info@CashForComputerScrap.com
    or Chat with us: www.CashForComputerScrap.com

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Anyone who has been in the business for the last 5 years has seen this coming. The business was completely different 5 years ago, naturally 5 years from now the same will hold true.<<

this business has seen very few changes until about 2 years ago. the changes coming will be the most dramatic we have ever seen. and after those changes are finally in affect, any new changes will not be noticed by the average dealer. they will no longer exist.

What exactly were you fighting the government on? <<

a zoning change and eminent domain. the really ironic part is that after i sold the property and moved, it turned out to be the best move i made. go figure. it was more the principle of the deal that irked me. i was a lot younger than as well.

i am old enough now to realise that mountains CAN be moved. the question is how much time and money do you want spend moving the mountain. or are you better off just driving around the mountain.

i am going to be curious to see how your move into the karat/metal arena goes. those are some big boys with really BIG money. i get 98.5% on gold, 96% on silver and 95% on platinum. 3 day turn around. really thin margins unless you are going to manufacture and sell a product.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,335 Posts
    Simple fact is any new regulation or certification is just another TAX.

26. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by PartTimeScrapper:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    your complaints about over regulation and the corruption of our politicians are valid and correct. i have never met a politician who was not corrupt in my life time. seems to be the nature of politics. i
    You know when a politician is lying? Look for his/her lips moving!
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanic688 for This Post:

29. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Got a free guitar effect pedal, an OCTAVIA!
      By TrashPickingAusKid2 in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 04-15-2012, 04:18 AM
    2. Replies: 7
      Last Post: 01-11-2012, 02:17 PM
    3. Replies: 32
      Last Post: 04-16-2011, 09:44 AM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information