Cast iron refrigeration compressor

| Scrap Metal Questions and Answers

Hybrid View

Larry started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Talking Cast iron refrigeration compressor

I wonder if any one is scrapping the cast iron semi hermetic compressors out. They unbolt most of the way, and then you can dismantle the rest. You would have the outside which is cast iron, crank shaft, piston, valve plate. Head and bolts, end plate. Copper winding. I have worked with these for years but never scraped any. Scrapped about ever thing else. Have them weigh from 80 # to 350#. Yard offered me .14 cents have 5000#
    As well as I remember the winding is a B --- . In the past I have sold these for cores but don’t want the hassle this time. Getting the winding out is the problem and would it be worth the effort. I am surprised that no one knows this compressor. Copeland is the manufactory and used in most commercial refrigeration. I am new here and old but not new to scrap and not a writer so be please be patient. Will try to send pictures if you want a look.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    lets see some pics.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,462 Times in 668 Posts
    I have done a few of them. They can be time consuming but still worth it to me. Any that are under 1 horse I toss in the iron bin though.

Larry started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Had a nice reply ready, Where did it go. Cold in GA. when warms up will tear down a small and medium. But the problem will be getting the winding out of the stator. What we need to know is how much copper per hp will get. How long it takes, blades etc. Fuel for fire wrench. I will try to research how much copper per hp..

Thread Information