Picked up from a police station today

| General Electronics Recycling
    ComputerScrapper started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Picked up from a police station today

Sent 2 of my people on a single run today...Was not planning on them being back to work just yet but figured I might as well get them going.

The pickup was from a small town police station....They had their garage full of computers and various other electronics from some upgrades that they had recently done (according to the officer on duty). Well I am thinking that they were well behind the times because all of the computers were 386 and 486 machines. The officer said that they were finally given a budget to get new computers and they had them all replaced. Wow....So up until last month they were using these machines?

I guess it shows that law enforcement agencies in some areas are extremely underfunded....Of course I am not upset by the haul, it was well worth the time to get the stuff from them...On the other hand I kinda feel sorry for the place having to use outdated equipment to do their jobs.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Nice, and it helps to make friends with them as well.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Ha most police equipment is so outdated that country police can't even communicate with city police its a joke. Remember 9/11 the systems in place by the fire department and police department ran on different frequencies and they couldn't communicate with each other. It got worse once cell phone service was knocked out on that day.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    It is unreal how underfunded and out of date some of the places are....The local county department finally upgraded around here....They received a huge grant to build new offices and a new jail and then to update everything. They were still running on Pent 1 towers. When they received the new machines and had them going they called us to come get the old ones. I was floored at the age of the stuff.

We buy a lot of police and fire electronics from state surplus auctions. The state departments seem to be far more up to date than any of the local departments.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    Computerscrapper thats not good...I think I will look into some of the small towns and see if they could use some of my good systems that are a tab old...could be better than what they all ready have...and maybe they wont pull my truck over when I am in there town..lol
    My company name was Easy Recycle but has since been closed
    My Name Stephan Harz
    My YouTube page

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    it is funny that you mention that Easy....There is a police station about 3 towns over that actually refused a donation of new computers from a local computer repair shop...They told the shop that they weren't allowed to take them unless it was approved by the town government and the town government was trying to get a grant so they figured that the donation would mess up the grant....What a pant load!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    and maybe they wont pull my truck over when I am in there town <<

that is the real reason they do not accept donations. no offense but it looks bad.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerScrapper View Post
    it is funny that you mention that Easy....There is a police station about 3 towns over that actually refused a donation of new computers from a local computer repair shop...They told the shop that they weren't allowed to take them unless it was approved by the town government and the town government was trying to get a grant so they figured that the donation would mess up the grant....What a pant load!

damm

9. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. My local transfer station
      By MvPElectronicRecycling in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 10-21-2012, 09:18 AM
    2. Today i picked up....
      By Igigi in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 04-30-2012, 09:56 PM
    3. Picked up an old computer today not sure what it is
      By miked in forum General Electronics Recycling