Tungsten Carbide Method--Information From a Professional Chemist!

| Dismantling, Breaking Down & Maximizing Scrap
    Mikey started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Tungsten Carbide Method--Information From a Professional Chemist!

I read a post a few days ago and it got me thinking of new methods for cleaning metals. I have seen gold finger harvesting done and I thought to myself, "there has got to be an effective way to isolate only the WC (Tungsten Carbide) from saw blades. I mean to remove the silver solder and the steel centers. I posted a question looking for a chemist to respond. I got just that and it is taking my brain to a whole new level of ideas on how to remove/isolate elements and compounds by using some chemistry. I sold a scrap gold ring and the guy at the shop tested it with Nitric Acid which got me thinking.
    This was in response fr the best method for removing saw blade teeth. Maybe even have some silver power/dust too!!!

"I still think the best way to remove the teeth is through melting the solder, though you might look for a more efficient way of doing it. An oxy-acetylene torch is hotter, and would be quicker than the MAPP.. Special burners heating several teeth at once - or a whole blade - would help too. Alternatively, the blades could be treated in batches in a furnace and the teeth collected afterward.

The proper acid for dissolving silver solder would be nitric acid, but there are several problems with this method. First, it would take more time than you might think because the action of the acid along the very thin bond line between the blade and the tooth would be slow. Second, the carbide teeth are typically made from tungsten carbide powder that's been cemented together with cobalt. Since nitric acid also attacks cobalt (but not the carbide), long exposure to the acid may cause the teeth to disintegrate. Third, the acid will also attack the steel (if it's not stainless). The problem with this is that it will use up a lot of the acid and greatly increase the overall acid requirement. Finally, the large amount of spent acid, contaminants, and residues would present a significant disposal problem and cost.

If you really want the teeth free of the silver solder, I'd suggest removing the teeth with heat and then using a brief acid treatment to remove the solder from them. This would use far less acid, and exposure of the teeth to the acid would be much shorter. Further, if the teeth do disintegrate to any degree the carbide powder would settle to the bottom of the tank and could be recovered. As a bonus, silver could be recovered from the acid solution. I think this approach would be the most economical solution, all things considered.

BTW, though tungsten carbide powder itself is not attacked by nitric acid alone, it can be dissolved in a nitric-hydrofluoric acid mixture. As if nitric acid is not nasty enough, hydrofluoric is a whole problem of its own. My advice, however, if to leave it alone."

Very Cool
    --Mike

Mikey started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    i think you missed the part where it is too laborous when you have a substantial amount. this would be fine if one had say only a hundred or so blades but with a lot(1000+) this would be insane!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    could this be done by the batch in some form of oven or furnace? if you could run 50 or so at a time, you'd move pretty quick

then again who's getting that large volume of blades?!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I read a post a few days ago and it got me thinking of new methods for cleaning metals. I have seen gold finger harvesting done and I think............................................. .

My advice, however, if to leave it alone."

Very Cool
    --Mike
    Comparing gold recovery to carbide recovery is like comparing papaya to coconuts.

I am no expert but chemical methods would not be cost effective.
    I wish the reply was still there that told of a way to remove the teeth. I am sure it could have been used as a spring board for a mass production idea !

My Grandfather once said, " If someone is willing to take the time to try and teach you something be sure to listen. Learn from them and use it with what you know works"
    When the white man discovered this country Indians were running it
    no taxes, no debt, women did all the work.
    White man thought he could improve on a system like this. - Old Cherokee saying

I did not surrender, they took my horse and made him surrender. - Lone Watie

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

more on tungsten

One of my tenants gave me a bucket of metal parts. He works in the oilfield. He said several of the parts were tungsten. A magnet just bartely attracts to this stuff. The official spot price is $35 per kg. How do I tell if this is the real stuff and where would I go to sell it!

6. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Tungsten carbide drill teeth
      By ParkerFlyer4 in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 04-22-2014, 02:25 PM
    2. Jack Scrapper on Tungsten Carbide $14 a lb
      By jackshmuc in forum Scrap Metal Videos
      Replies: 19
      Last Post: 12-24-2012, 11:44 PM
    3. My Method For Discharging a Flyback
      By Jeremiah in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 19