GreenTruckR started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Great Appliance Pick-Up Lead for anyone interested in scrapping appliances "We PU 82"

ATTENTION: Any Scrap Metal Forum member located primarily in the Western states, SouthWest. CO. MO. KA. NM. NV. AZ. MT. OK. OR. -and- also MN. NY. MA. IL.

DESCRIPTION: Potentially Large quantities of: appliances, computers, and stereo equipment

So you have a better understanding of the potential and how to go about it, I need to explain how we found out about this lead.

Several months ago I recieved a call from a referal, they asked if I was capable of picking up a large number of old appliances and computers. Of course I said yes and within a few days we met the manager of a big box electronics store. Not knowing what to expect, we brought two pick-up trucks and trailers.

The manager walked us out to the far end of the parking lot to where he showed us a 53 ft. semi trailer and told us to take whatever we can from this trailer.

We opened the doors to find a packed trailer, mainly large appliances but also around 50 computers and misc. electronic items. The total count was 82- (Eighty Two) appliances. Long story short; for the next few months they called us about every two weeks and we would continue to pick up approx. 10 - 15 Apps. each call.

A couple months later I recieved yet another call from another store out of state, she stated that they had discussed the issue with the manager from the Milwaukee store and they refered us to them. Of course I was all excited once again, however we were unable to pick them up because they wanted us to use our own semi-tractor to pick up thier trailer and return the empty back to them. (We dont have a semi) so we had to decline unfortunately.

I spoke to the manager a while back and he informed me that the chain of stores are going out of business and that the corporate offices are filing bankrupsy. He also told us that there are many of the stores that still have lots of old appliances sitting in the warehouses and trailers etc. and he gave us a list of stores to pursue. The store chain has 46 stores if I recall.

For anyone that wants to do the Foot-work and go out and talk to store managers you may just get some really good results well worth your effort!

The Store is: Ultimate Electronics and Appliance

Well the Best of Luck to everyone! -and- if any of you land the deal, drop me a quick line to let me know how it went. I hope this helps out, I know it definetely helped us move up to a different level.

truly,
    GreenTruckR

2. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by GreenTruckR:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    You realize you can hire a truck driver for about 250 bucks a trip and I bet you can find a yard that would unload the trailer for you just a heads up. You could also find a scrap yard that would pick up the trailer and empty it and round trip the trailers for you.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Their corporate office is located here in Denver and contents is coming up for auction soon. Expecting a 2 day event there is so much stuff.
    Last edited by KzScrapper; 12-30-2011 at 03:20 PM.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    All Stores have already closed here though.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    People don't like hearing "no". I would have figured out a way to make it happen.

To add onto what Pistone said, if you can't locate a driver with a truck, but know of someone with a CDL, Ryder rents semi tractors (and trailers). When I looked into it I think it was $110/day plus fuel.

The Ultimate here closed a few years ago IIRC.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Hey Idaho...do you need insurance for the tractor or no? I have a cdl and have some leads, but not sure what to expect when I hit Ryder....

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    If I remember correctly you have to provide your own insurance, or some could be bought from Ryder.

My brother has a CDL, so I looked into it to move a load out of Salt Lake, but ended up using 2 pickups and a trailer.
    Last edited by IdahoScrapper; 12-30-2011 at 05:49 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    You find buddys or anyone with a truck and trailer, get them a % cut and go grab it all.

Unless it is something that you 100% do not have the equipment or tools for, then you never say no. You always come up with a way.

However, regardless of what I and others just said, sounds like to me that you and your people made an impression since they gave you first dibs on other stores closing down.
    George Beale - Founder & President - info@viprecyclingjunkremoval.com
    VIP Recycling Junk Removal LLC - Premier Scrap Metal, Junk, & Electronic Recyclers!
    http://www.viprecyclingjunkremoval.com

GreenTruckR started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Please NOTE: I should of explained it further. Don't let the fact that most all of thier stores are now closed, some stores for a year or two. However many of the stores are still holding old apps, read the following. It will all make sense once you read and figure out what actually has happened.

IMPORTANT TO NOTE: This is exactly how it was explained to me: During the stores last several months of operation the appliance recycling contractor was not getting paid so they discontinued providing service to the chain of stores. They were unable to attain another company liecensed and capable of providing nation-wide service so they just begun storing them in trailers and ware-houses. The appliances are considered a large liability and Not a asset. There is still one more reason why they have not publicly announced -or- contacted other large companies to have them removed, wich kept them between a rock and a hard place. They are worried about breach of contract if they attempt to hire another company for pay. As of one month ago, one of the stores in MN. still had two 53 ft. trailers containing old apps.parked in the corner lot.

I sincerely from my heart hope that a few of forum members are able to get your Mother-Load from them.

PS. Yes george I agree with you 100% However, at about the same time we were offered an opportunity to litterally clear out a entire Salvage yard / Junk yard here in Wisconsin, We started that site on Sept. 15th. and we just finished it a couple weeks ago. Otherwise we would be heading out to the nearby stores, but there are not that many in this area, only one in Wisc. and one in IL. and Minesota is really out of our area.

Good Luck to everyone!! & Happy New Year to All!

11. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by GreenTruckR:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Wonder where those 2 trailers in minnesota are located. That would be an awesome score. I've got access to a whole fleet of tractors.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Ya ultimate electrics is not in mo anymore!

14. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Recycling aluminum beer cans vs "open container" laws?
      By dirtymoney in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 22
      Last Post: 05-15-2013, 10:41 PM
    2. For California Scrappers: "Intent to handle e-waste" notification for the DTSC
      By mrsamsonite in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 03-22-2013, 12:42 PM
    3. Replies: 3
      Last Post: 06-27-2012, 10:00 PM
    4. question for scrapping "hobbyists": how to pay less taxes?
      By ilyaz in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 29
      Last Post: 11-19-2011, 05:22 PM
    5. Thinking "inside" the box... last nights pick ups :)
      By Torker Man in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 18
      Last Post: 10-27-2011, 08:18 PM

Thread Information