Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SOS Mercury mark 5 boat motor

| Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
    imyourgirl started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

SOS Mercury mark 5 boat motor

Ok I have looked at this for a week now. Studied it well. I put soapy water in the gas tank. Then I tried to take all the screws out. All they do is strip. So now what? A big sleg hammer?

When I try to upload a photo it wants my URL. Is there an easier way to do this?? :confused:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 594 Posts
    Gus had post about this not long ago.

It is an impact driver. One that you twist while whacking with a hammer or mallet.

It drives the bit into the fastener as it turns.
    Last edited by injunjoe; 12-16-2011 at 06:22 PM.
    When the white man discovered this country Indians were running it
    no taxes, no debt, women did all the work.
    White man thought he could improve on a system like this. - Old Cherokee saying

I did not surrender, they took my horse and made him surrender. - Lone Watie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to injunjoe for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,335 Posts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PartTimeScrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    easyout and impact driver aren't the same PTS. IMG, do you use a penetrating spray like PB Blaster...it's great stuff. If it still won't budge, I'd try an impact driver. Do you have a grinder or sawsall ?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
    If the screws have stripped out the thread, its probably into the Ali, in that case I'd cold chisel the things out, or use a claw hammer to pull them out.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Impact driver is different then an impact that is run on air. It's a screwdriver that you smack on the end of the handle and when you hit it it turns the bit a little and since your hitting it it helps not to slip out of the slots. they work pretty good if you haven't messed the screw head up to much.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    and in that case an easyout might work....right KZ?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Oh your right I have one of those somewhere in my toolbox too. You put the bit in it then smack t with a hammer and it turns it like a 1/4 turn with every hit. In the airforce we used a johnson bar to get stuck strip screws out of the panels. it looked like this.
    http://www.toolsource.com/brutus-joh...-p-117473.html
    But you had to have another screw hole to anchor it into.

Found a pic of impact driver too
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...=0&FORM=IDFRIR
    Last edited by PartTimeScrapper; 12-16-2011 at 07:47 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PartTimeScrapper for This Post:

gustavus is offline Metal Recycling Entrepreneur
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PartTimeScrapper View Post
    Easy outs are for removing broken screws, you have to drill a hole dead center then drive in the easy out. The twist is reversed so that when your using a wrench of it they tend to burrow deeper into the hole you drilled.

Still no guarantee the broken screw is going to come out, these tools require a bit of expertise in their use.

If you had used the impact driver from the start, nine times out of ten the screw or nut comes loose a bit of penetrating oil helps, failing that some heat on the bolt before it is broken off.

Your allowed 2 percent iron and still be good for clean aluminum.

The problem with iron screws used in aluminum is that they're dissimilar metals a natural electrolysis takes place that holds the screw firm. This is one of the reasons you find zinc anodes affixed to motors and other marine gear, these are sacrificial. Meaning that the electromotive series of metals, zinc give itself up sooner than the aluminum saving the engine from eroding away to nothing.

Still you have the iron screw problem, the iron wants to give way to the aluminum, electrolysis at work. Save yourself some grief sell the motor as dirty aluminum..

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by imyourgirl View Post
    Ok I have looked at this for a week now. Studied it well. I put soapy water in the gas tank. Then I tried to take all the screws out. All they do is strip. So now what? A big sleg hammer?

When I try to upload a photo it wants my URL. Is there an easier way to do this?? :confused:
    Taking a sledge hammer to cast aluminum, it breaks like glass sending shards flying. Wear safety glasses if you do try to break it up.

I just googled the mark 5 looks to be from the 50's and would have collector value, now that you have damaged it save the coils, carburetor, flywheel, connecting rod, drive shaft and gear case from below. Essentially any part that comes free is good to sell.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    If all else fails you can do what I do when trying to clean up aluminum. Use a grinder with a cutoff and grind away until it stops sparking.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to IdahoScrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Ez outs work sometimes...I do like PB Blaster Dee, that and some patients to let it sit for a while works well. Sometimes when I've stripped a Phillips head I take a Dremmel and cut a slot to use a flat blade screwdriver.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoScrapper View Post
    If all else fails you can do what I do when trying to clean up aluminum. Use a grinder with a cutoff and grind away until it stops sparking.
    Not a good idea, what if she had magnesium and it started on fire by using the grinder. Water will not put out a magnesium fire only make it worse as soon as the water hits the fire you get an explosion of molten magnesium flying through the air igniting more flammable material nearby.

Magnesium was used in the manufacture of bombs during WWII fro this very reason, when the fore fighters tried to extinguish the flames using water they spread further.

This homemade device is from powdered magnesium which is what you would have had you used a grinder on magnesium..

Well worth the time to watch.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumpster-Dee View Post
    easyout and impact driver aren't the same PTS. IMG, do you use a penetrating spray like PB Blaster...it's great stuff. If it still won't budge, I'd try an impact driver. Do you have a grinder or sawsall ?
    I have both grinder, sawsall, and I did spray it down and let it set for 1 day. The screws are counter sunk in. Never heard of a easyout before. I have drilled screws out in the past but I don't like doing it. May have to run to Sears and have a look around, Thanks

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PartTimeScrapper View Post
    Oh your right I have one of those somewhere in my toolbox too. You put the bit in it then smack t with a hammer and it turns it like a 1/4 turn with every hit. In the airforce we used a johnson bar to get stuck strip screws out of the panels. it looked like this.
    http://www.toolsource.com/brutus-joh...-p-117473.html
    But you had to have another screw hole to anchor it into.
    Found a pic of impact driver too
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...=0&FORM=IDFRIR
    lol how funny, as soon as I saw the picture I realized I had one of those in my tool box. Never knew where it came from or what it did. Thank you Thank you so much for clearing that up and don't have to spend the money to get one

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    woot.... Yeah i got mine from an auction lot of tools. paid like 5 bucks for the box of tools and it had one in it. I didnt know what it was for the longist time either.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavus View Post
    Taking a sledge hammer to cast aluminum, it breaks like glass sending shards flying. Wear safety glasses if you do try to break it up.

I just googled the mark 5 looks to be from the 50's and would have collector value, now that you have damaged it save the coils, carburetor, flywheel, connecting rod, drive shaft and gear case from below. Essentially any part that comes free is good to sell.
    I will check it out and see if anything is salvagable.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    For now on I am doing my homework. Live and learn! I am learning so much here.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Don;t fret over this engine, you'll make a killing off of the next one.

The large single cylinder farm engine is an EK Hercules that I aquired from a farm clean up summer before last. Yea I was thinking the same thing a keeper.

When the engine was removed from service they removed the oiler that goes through the water tank into the cylinder to lubricate the piston, piston was at bottom dead center and water got into the cylinder then froze, the block was cracked severely.

By disassembling the engine then listing all the parts on ebay I got way more money than had I sod the engine complete. I particularly remember the skids sold for a tad over $200.00 going to Europe, everything sold with the exception of the block

The huge radio below was a dump find, weighed a ton, and much too heavy to ship, so it came apart listing everything on auction, it was an incredible auction, the tuner knobs sold in the $200.00 range, even the leaky oil capacitors sold. Heres what I learned on the capacitors, some ebayer tells me they contain PCB's so I cancel the capacitor auction only to have several people email me begging to purchase the caps. Here's what they do, gut the oil caps then install newer model capacitors inside the oil cans the reassemble giving the illusion your looking at original capacitors.

If it' looks old alway check it out before scrapping, the older stuff usually does not have a bunch of plastic on it or stamped made in China.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to gustavus for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Gustavas I will let you know how it goes. Selling parts of it will bring better cash then selling it as junk alum.

26. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. mercury thermostats.
      By Copper Head in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 07-11-2019, 06:43 AM
    2. Mercury in tv's and comp moniters
      By redmanaaron in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: 01-14-2014, 04:14 PM
    3. Adms:sticky on mercury
      By EcoSafe in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 3