Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just Starting Scrapping

| Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
    Ohscrapper started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Just Starting Scrapping

I just started scrapping and have a few trips under my belt. My first trip we got more cash than expected though haha we went over the scale with our aluminum and brass in the truck and then i took it back to the second scale for the brass and aluminum to re-weigh it and make more money. I made around 70 dollars for the trip which wasnt bad for a first one. But I am looking for new things to scrap I really want to find as much brass and copper I can get a hold of. Due to the fact I don't have a trailer to haul loads of scrap in. But if I can get my hands on a lot of steel too it would be worth while. So really I am asking for some hot spots to get copper and brass metal along with alot of precious metals.

Hi, to everyone and thank you for any help you can supply.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/forum...ap-Metal-Spots
    Welcome to the forum and read up on this for some starting spots. Other scrapper in your state are not gonna give you their "secret" spots. But some tips here may get you started or at least give you an idea. Also be sure to network with friends and family, they know lots of people also.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    i use a van with the seats removed!
    u can also fit alot in your car if u lower the rear seat or remove it as well as your passenger one.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Well I have a truck and a very small flat bed trailer I can restore if I pick up enough cash off this or have enough metal moving. Haha, yea they probably wont but what are some business's people go do you guys go to plumbers, electricians? I just want some small tips of maybe items with good metal in it or just some places people have gone before.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Those and HVAC, independent garages, auto body shops, welders, loggers (I get a LOT of batteries from those). Really just depends on your situation. Sit and think about it - Who has stuff they throw out? Drive around your neighborhood and look. Appliance repair shops or new appliance sales. Computer sales. Boat sales/repair. Auctions. Farmers.

Maybe we should make a list for people who ask this and make it a "sticky"?
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mick for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Those and HVAC, independent garages, auto body shops, welders, loggers (I get a LOT of batteries from those). Really just depends on your situation. Sit and think about it - Who has stuff they throw out? Drive around your neighborhood and look. Appliance repair shops or new appliance sales. Computer sales. Boat sales/repair. Auctions. Farmers.

Maybe we should make a list for people who ask this and make it a "sticky"?
    Good idea, Im gonna start small cause im 17 and work slowly and build it maybe into something big i don't know really but I am going to write down local places to ask. Do you ask for a shop or stores scrap metals or do you offer to buy it off them? what do you see working the best when going into the store and trying to gather scrap.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Whether to pay for stuff or not is pretty much a judgement call. I don't pay for most stuff. I am providing a service - picking up their junk in exchange for what I get for it at the scrap yard. BUT - it took awhile for me to get to that point. I started by buying batteries and radiators, alternators etc. I still pay for batteries and brake rotors (0.25 a piece for rotors). For instance, today a regular came by and dropped off a couple hundred pounds of iron. He does this on a fairly regular basis and looks through what I've gotten since his last visit. Today, he found a galvanized rod with an eye on one end which he took.

So, the answer to your question is - It all depends. You'll just have to develop a feel for what works for you. Being 17 years old, you might emphasize that you're doing this to build a college fund (if that's true) and see if they'll just give you the stuff.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mick for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thats another good idea, by saying that it will help me raise money. I probably wont go to college but a technical school is an option. But I plan on going to farrier/blacksmith school. Thanks for the tips and idea's any other ones you have that helped you get started would be great.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    A lot of the people on here kind of specialize on what kinds of scrap they do. Then they put the effort into generating scrap of that nature. Some people do cars, some car parts, boat parts, or escrap. Some do residential cleanout, etc. Figure out what you want to mess with, and go that direction as far as looking and asking/buying. Bigger loads you might have to buy or split the ticket 60/40-70/30. As an example, we just bought a large box of motherboards w/processors, 30 HD's, 80+CD drives, and other mics. thrown in for $90. Should be able to triple our money after breaking everything down. But we stockpile it till we have a much bigger load to make it all worthwhile. That just how it works well for us, we concentrate on escrap, but don't turn down any other junk. Hope this helps,,,
    PS; there is other scrappers from Ohio, maybe someone you know in the business already you could sit down with at a fast food place and talk business with them. Take a few notes, maybe get a few ideas from them, good and bad.
    Last edited by Mechanic688; 11-20-2011 at 08:24 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    what is escrap? And if I had to choose one it would be auto scrap. Car parts or cars.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    escrap - electronic (equipment) scrap. Most people start out just taking anything and everything they can get and have the equipment for. Then specialize as you go along.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yea thats what I was thinking I was hoping to get everything I could to start maybe posting some stuff about washers and dryers because they seem like pretty simple things to tear apart if you get them. And I was wonder if the sides of the washers and dryers are worth anything I mean yea its metal but is it?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yes but I don't bother tearing apart washers and dryers. Some do, just doesn't seem worth it to me. You'll get the motor and maybe the tub will be stainless steel. I just throw it all as Light Iron or Tin; whichever your yard calls it.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    well some people find some good things in the dryers. And whats the change in pay if u tear one apart do you know?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    i tore a few down when i first got started. i will never tear one completely down ever again. if i can access the motor fairly easily, i will cut it off with my saw. if i need to remove a million panel bolts to get to it, it goes in whole. if you have the time, and are willing to work for $2-3/hr, then by all means, go for it... but i cannot bring myself to tear down washers anymore unless its a 5 min process.

like mick said, though... take everything you can get your hands on, figure out what works best for you. i scrap everything from a dryer to a dell,a fence post to a flat screen
    We're the renegades of Junk!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Filthy for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    HAha liked the saying at then end and yea im gonna visit some local business's and talk to em bout scrap. And alright that sounds good if I can get motor easily go for it if not dont waste time

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I found it pretty easy to tear down a washer and dryer. Most of the screws were the same size as a drill bit driver and when I was done I was able to fit almost all of it into 1 carcass (minus the plastic covered washer barrel)

I ended up with large motors, lots of wire, low grade boards, switches, etc. Kinda seemed worth it to me but maybe not to others. I did it more for space since I was loading both into an SUV for drop off.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to scrap lap for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Well, I guess it takes me about 10-15 minutes to tear down a washer/dryer. I take the motor,wiring, and the front panel behind the knobs (aluminum). The motors I don't fool with till a rainy day. The wiring (minus the power cords) all goes in the ins. wire pile. As for the front panel it's really not worth it. Just hate to let it go. I've yet to come across a stainless steel tub. I know some have them and if I ever do I would probably harvest that too. It only takes a few tools to do the job. But, as others have said it's what works best for you. I can certainly understand just scrapping the whole thing. Either way, have fun and good luck! Oh and welcome aboard!
    AMERICAN BORN, AMERICAN BRED! AND I'M PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scrap lap View Post
    I found it pretty easy to tear down a washer and dryer. Most of the screws were the same size as a drill bit driver and when I was done I was able to fit almost all of it into 1 carcass (minus the plastic covered washer barrel)

I ended up with large motors, lots of wire, low grade boards, switches, etc. Kinda seemed worth it to me but maybe not to others. I did it more for space since I was loading both into an SUV for drop off.
    did u make a substantial amount more?

And when you guys get these appliances have you ever tried cleaning them up and selling them if they are working or in "ok" shape?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    If you're going to break dryers down, look for hidden gems. Mainly on the base of the dryer, and/or in the blower housing.

I have found money, jewelry, and what not.

25. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Starting my scrapping journey
      By fulltimejunker in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 06-10-2012, 11:30 AM
    2. Starting Out
      By Kris Kringle in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 01-26-2012, 06:23 AM
    3. Starting Over Again!
      By Junker in forum Introduce yourself
      Replies: 4