Bulk trash day tips and advice

| Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
    Pattyb started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Bulk trash day tips and advice

I thought it would be interesting to share some ideas and tips for bulk trash day. I like to go out the day before and scope out what everyone is putting out mark addresses of interest in my notebook I keep in my vehical. Then hit them around 4 AM. I bet some of you have better plans I would like to hear them as I am not as experienced as most of you. I bring with me my magnet, a cordless drill, a pair of wire cutters, and some wrenches. As a woman just starting out I kinda stick to the smaller easy stuff but am happy to receive any advice out there. Thanks fellow scrappers.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 594 Posts
    Patty take a look at this link, http://www.scrapmetalforum.com/showt...up-truck-crane.
    Admin. suggested it a while back. That would allow you to lift larger objects into your truck with ease.

What if you were to stop and talk to the people when you see them putting things out letting them know you are recycling and trying to make money at the same time. Then maybe next time they have scrap they might give you a call.

Good luck
    When the white man discovered this country Indians were running it
    no taxes, no debt, women did all the work.
    White man thought he could improve on a system like this. - Old Cherokee saying

I did not surrender, they took my horse and made him surrender. - Lone Watie

3. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by injunjoe:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattyb View Post
    I thought it would be interesting to share some ideas and tips for bulk trash day. I like to go out the day before and scope out what everyone is putting out mark addresses of interest in my notebook I keep in my vehical. Then hit them around 4 AM. I bet some of you have better plans I would like to hear them as I am not as experienced as most of you. I bring with me my magnet, a cordless drill, a pair of wire cutters, and some wrenches. As a woman just starting out I kinda stick to the smaller easy stuff but am happy to receive any advice out there. Thanks fellow scrappers.
    Don't go at 4 am. Go at 5-8-9 pm, that way you catch people putting things out. You could give them a hand, and often they might have some more to give you as long as your right there. Also, I have found people get mad when you are processing the stuff right in their front yard. Take the whole object and do the work at your own house.
    Everyone one of you is 2 minutes too late.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WeWillPrevail for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Definitely take the whole object back to your place. Most folks really don't mind if you take it. It's legal as long as it's considered trash anyway. But they do not like getting woke up at 4 am. from the noise of cutting, banging, etc. Then you gotta worry about disturbing the peace laws. They also don't like to wake up to any messes in their front yards. Just grab it and go. No muss, no fuss, no noise = no problems. Good luck!!
    AMERICAN BORN, AMERICAN BRED! AND I'M PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to skylinejack for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Patty I keep a small dolly in my car along with a small tool kit
    Old dogs care about you even when you make mistakes;
    God bless little children while they're still too young to hate

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Around here, best time to grab it is when you see it, because in another five minutes it might not be there. I was cruising my favorite spot Monday and saw something to big for the car, but i figured i would drop my wife off at the nearby YMCA a few hours later and bring the truck. It was gone when I came back, but I still found a water heater that was put out after my first circuit that nobody else had hit yet. It ended up paying better for less work, so i was happy!

The other day, i passed through an intersection, and two other scrappers were in trucks at the red light on either side of me. This is in the early evening! If you seriously want to catch the sweet stuff, you should just try and drive through residential areas anytime you go anywhere, and if you see something pick it up at that moment.

Good luck out there!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I'd have to agree with Enoch43 here. Pick it when you see it.

I go early evening or early morning just before the truck rolls through. If someone is outside at the time, I always ask before I load it...the worst someone can do is tell you "no", and I've never had anyone tell me that, I have had people help me load and offer me other stuff. I always say "thank you" and then I'm on my way.

I don't break things down unless I have to to get it in the truck (once the case with a huge garden trellis).

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Pattyb, I would be wary about being out at 4 a.m. as you could attract the wrong kind of attention (from the lawless and from law enforcement - where I live you can be charged for being in possession of "burglary tools"). I agree with those above who said to get it when you see it because there is a good chance it won't be there when you get back.

I like to go around 10 pm because it's not a time that arouses police suspicion as much as 4 am and many people have put their trash out by then. There are also people awake if you have to call for help. I agree with curbsideshopper that early morning before the truck rolls out (6:30 am here) is good too - if you can get up that early! By then there is traffic on the road and you aren't as conspicuous. Happy hunting!
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm...... Churchill

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrapette for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    always try to communicate with people as much as you can when doing bulk trash pickup, so many times ive stopped to pick stuff up and asked the owner(if there outside) if they had anything else they were interested in getting rid of and they gave me a lot more stuff they didnt want to try and move on there own or were planning on throwing out later.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to decjr2006 for This Post:

15. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Need tips, and advice on trailer scrapping
      By nhquinn in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 09-15-2021, 04:18 PM
    2. Any Advice on scrapping on trash days?
      By TXf250 in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: 01-12-2014, 02:58 AM
    3. Need Tips and advice on Computer scrap
      By Russryleee in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 01-12-2012, 11:33 AM
    4. CRT's What to do with the bulk?
      By wtwolf13 in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 06-12-2011, 08:26 PM

Thread Information