Advice/feedback on my sorting...

| Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
    Gnraxlrose88 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Advice/feedback on my sorting...

First, sorry if this is in the wrong area.

Second, I hope I don't sound like a dumba** asking this.

Would you guys mind giving me some advice and feedback on sorting? I've read alot on here, from different members/posts and would like to have everything sorted as properly as i can before I go to the yard with a load of stuff and look like a dumba** there...lol.

First, I have my buckets of "steel"...screws, vcr/dvd player cases, VCR "decks" (minus motors, big shiny head, and copper components), curtain rods....basically anything magnetic. (Big items get stashed on the side of my garage...washing machine tubs, filing cabinets, bicycles, etc"

Then theres the "brass" bucket...obviously brass components/fittings/spent shell casings.

"number two copper wire"...stripped wire, mainly from TVs and the windings on electrical boards.

A small bucket for copper tubing from dehumidifiers, ends cut off of copper/aluminum radiators, etc...I don't deal with much of this right now, so small bucket lol.

Two different aluminum buckets, for "cast" and basically anything else...heatsinks, mop/broom handles, etc.

Bucket for "motors" off of boards, including the big one on the corner of a tv/monitor board that has one wire running to the top of the tube

Bucket for bigger motors...ones that can have the copper cut and pulled...fan motors, dryer/washer motors, etc.
    a garbage can full of boards with motors, copper components, and aluminum removed, but nothing else...so they still have steel heat sinks, and basically anything not aluminum or copper...will a yard take boards like this?

A garbage can of power coards with the ends clipped off

A garbage can of all other wiring, copper and aluminum mixed together, all the "tiny" wires, coax, phone coards

a container of plug ends. I began pulling out the connectors and putting them in a small container ofter clipping off the copper tails, proven very tedious and trying to find a differnt way, was told these were brass

Bucket for "stainless"

Bucket of batteries...no LI-Ion...alkalines, don't know what to do with them

Thats about it so far. Any advice/or feedback? If misplaced feel free to move....if stupid feel free to delete...thanks again....

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Sounds good to me. The yard I go to takes extension cords with the ends on for the same price as without them. The garbage can that you have mixed aluminum and copper wire I would seperate those and have one just for the copper and one just for the aluminum. I would also keep the coax in its own can. At my yard if they were all mixed I would get coax price for all of it.
    Last edited by dmm2442; 11-16-2011 at 03:30 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by dmm2442:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    "Two different aluminum buckets, for "cast" and basically anything else...heatsinks, mop/broom handles, etc."

You need a third bucket. Those heat sinks are "Extrusion". The mop handles etc are "Sheet". Probably 15 or 20 cents a pound more for extrusion. The term "extrusion" refers to the manufacturing process - molten aluminum being "pushed" through a mold rather than being poured into a cast.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

5. The Following 5 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mick:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    and AL heat sinks should be in an extrusion bucket, because you dont want to receive low grade AL for those.
    Li-Ion you can ship and sell if you dont have a local buyer

sounds like a plan, bud. good way to scrap
    We're the renegades of Junk!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Aluminum door and window frames are also extrusion. Remove steel and die cast.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    call your local yards about the al sorting, cause all the yards local to me by al. as sheet or cast thats it, there is no differnt price for extruded al.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,907 Times in 2,555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovejunk View Post
    call your local yards about the al sorting, cause all the yards local to me by al. as sheet or cast thats it, there is no differnt price for extruded al.
    Yards by me have you sort by...
    Ext
    Paint
    MLC
    Cast

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yards by me pay only for clean or dirty alum. No other difference in price.
    AMERICAN BORN, AMERICAN BRED! AND I'M PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    We've never seen an extruded price before at our yard until we took in a tote full of extruded and told them and the price was .10-.15 higher than cast.
    First, I have my buckets of "steel"...screws, vcr/dvd player cases, VCR "decks" (minus motors, big shiny head, and copper components)(WHAT??), curtain rods....basically anything magnetic.
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,907 Times in 2,555 Posts
    Electric motors by me, all pay the same no mater what size. As for brass on cord prongs I just cut or pull them off and leave the rest on the cord as long as there is no steel on the cord end, and they all go in with the #2 ins wire

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 512 Posts
    Also, how many spent shell casings are you putting in your brass bucket. Most yards won't take them. They probably wouldn't say anything about a few, but too may and they reject them. Give them a call and find out. If they don't take what you have, gun ranges usually buy them.
    Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing.
    Thomas Jefferson

Gnraxlrose88 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Mechanic...I by "copper components" I meant...and I forget the technical term...anything with copper wire, thats not a motor, that gets hit with a hammer and separated from what the wire is wrapped around (usually plastic)

Hypoman...Maybe like...10 spent casings...just found in my hunting stuff from when I used to hunt...I will take them out tho.

dmm...I will be sure to separate from now on. I've seen alot of people say they mix the copper and alum together, and get a "mixed" price...and i didn't know coax would be different. Do phone cords get mixed in with coax to then?

And thanks to everyone else on the aluminum...I will find out for sure how many catagories there are, and separate from there. If a heatsink is aluminum, but "colored"...is it still extrusion?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    transformer

10 doesnt sound like a problem

phone cords are a significantly higher price than coax. coax is pretty low grade wire

colored heatsinks are still extrusion

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Filthy for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Phone cords can go with the low grade copper wire. Coax is different. If you hit it with a magnet you will see it sticks. The middle really isn't copper just plated.

Sorry didn't catch what Filthy said until after I wrote.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypoman View Post
    Also, how many spent shell casings are you putting in your brass bucket. Most yards won't take them. They probably wouldn't say anything about a few, but too may and they reject them. Give them a call and find out. If they don't take what you have, gun ranges usually buy them.
    Hell, don't sell shell casings, you can make things from them & sell them for a lot more than the scrap value.

19. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by eesakiwi:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    If a heatsink is aluminum, but "colored"...is it still extrusion?
    Yes, the color is just an anodizing.
    Eesakiwi, would you like to buy my box of empty cartridges before I put them on that auction site.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    Well, I can bring up the old addage of there are no dumb questions. I can also add that there ARE lazy questions. Yours is neither of those. We can tell that you have done a good bit of reading here and obsorbed a lot of the information.

With that said, you are talking about garbage cans full of various types of insulated wire. I would suggest a run to the scrap yard with maybe ten or 15 pounds of each to get the feel of your yard. You may get there and they throw it all on the same scale and give you number one insulated for all of it. Then you know what to expect. Same goes with the various types of aluminum. Have it all split up and see how they want to weigh it up. Of course a phone call can tell you if they will give you a difference for extruded or not. Hope this helps.

Good luck and keep on scrapping.

22. The Following 5 Users say Thank You for This Post by parrothead:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovejunk View Post
    It's the same at my local yard.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    The last word in sorting is knowing what the yard buys and how they want it prepared, I think a test run is a great idea. Sort and clean everything as much as possible. It easy to combine things at the yard but the yard I go to will not let you sort once you're there.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    My best word or words of advice. Keep scrapping. It takes years and years and years of experience to be able to grade everything right and exact every time so when you go into the yard you get paid top dollar. I also started out separating boards, breaking down motors and running the aluminum smelter when I was a kid. I also had to work with die hard scrap guys and they taught me allot. Another good person to talk to would whoever runs the non ferrous department and ask him what his grades are for aluminum copper and brass. Every yard is different and grades can change on a dime.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to PistoneScrapProcessing for This Post:

27. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Looking for website feedback
      By CarolinaEwaste in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: 11-14-2012, 05:55 PM
    2. refiners feedback
      By joshH in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: 10-01-2012, 09:11 PM
    3. Seeking Feedback On Designing a Craigslist Add
      By Jeremiah in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 9