Old Landfills?

| Scrap Metal Spots
    WeWillPrevail started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Old Landfills?

Where would I find a list of old landfills, or county dump sites? Looking along the lines of places where old factories used to dump shavings, or military or rail dump sites, but not the rails themselves? I know it seems like and obvious place to look, but maybe no one has the balls to go where I will. I tried looking on Google for 'old landfills' and 'old dumps', nothing is really coming up. Plenty of current info, i am looking for the past. 50's or 60's.

Everyone one of you is 2 minutes too late.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,335 Posts
    Try the county clerks office.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Try the EPA

I would try contacting the EPA. I am sure they keep a database of old landfills. Who knows, you could even apply for a grant for doing cleanup of old sites. Have Uncle Sam pay you to go out and scrap.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Would be interesting if they grant access to any of them. Most of them are off limits, and with our government effeciency it would probably take a long time to get thru any red tape.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I don't think you can touch them once they are capped. They are designed a specific slope so that most of the rain runs off and not through the landfill. You could be liable for a crap load of repairs if you mess with them. Even recapping a small landfill could cost tens of thousands of dollars.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts
    this has always been a dream of mine, a back hoe and access to the three town dumps of my child hood, I know some of the stuff that went into them and where they are did you know that old privy (out door toilet or latrien) is one of the most prized locations of archeologists.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I know what you mean. We had to do a testing hole at the local landfill and 20 year old newspapers were coming up that didn't look but a week old.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Another thing to keep in mind if you were to actually Herr into one of these sites... This country hasn't always been so environmentally / EPA friendly, at that point in time there is no telling what some factories were dumping, could get into all sorts of nasty stuff.

I'm sure by now most of the real bad stuff has been cleaned up, but ya can't never tell what might be out there still.

Thread Information