Help identifying mystery alloy!

| Scrap Metal Identification
    Fastlane started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Help identifying mystery alloy!

Hello everyone, I recently acquired a large bit of round stock from a building I bought. One piece has me stumped. When scanned with the XRF, it comes out as below:

The stock is about 3ft long and 8in in diameter. It weighs 128lbs.

I'm trying to identify the alloy, that way I can locate a buyer. I know it is a cupronickel, but the large amount of nickel and tin makes it very different from other cupronickel alloys I have researched. Thanks in advance for the help.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Its probably just straight cupronickel how many times did you shoot it and did you grind it good enough. If its only 128lbs just sell it as cupronickel. Even if it has a high amount of tin in it I don't know if that makes a difference as far as it being cupronickel. I would call email someone who buys alloys give them an exact description of what the break down is. Heck even lie to them about how much you have to get them excited about it so they give you a great price and don't bs you about it. Just a thought. I remember cutting up a propeller once and I though it was just 316 stainless turns out it was some exotic metal and worth 10 grand I almost soiled my pants. I hope its worth a million bucks.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    What exotic metal..platinum?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Platinum... maybe...

Exotic usually reffers to Superalloys .
    Regards, Sam

www.Goldnscrap.com

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I can't even remember what it was it was such a strange sounding alloy. All i remember is the non-ferrous manager telling me in 25 years he had never heard of it or seen it. So it was a first for both of us. I have been racking my brain all day trying to think of what it was called and its not coming back to me at all. I think its secretly stashed away someone in my brain or maybe it was forced out by other scrap knowledge.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PistoneScrapProcessing View Post
    I can't even remember what it was it was such a strange sounding alloy. All i remember is the non-ferrous manager telling me in 25 years he had never heard of it or seen it. So it was a first for both of us. I have been racking my brain all day trying to think of what it was called and its not coming back to me at all. I think its secretly stashed away someone in my brain or maybe it was forced out by other scrap knowledge.
    If it was worth that much I think I would of had a few photos of it so I know what to look for....
    My company name was Easy Recycle but has since been closed
    My Name Stephan Harz
    My YouTube page

7. The Following User Says Thank You to easyrecycle for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    It looked like stainless till they shot it with the gun. I thought it was 316 because I torch tested it and it cut just like 316 would. When you cut around a 1000 GT of material a month you really don't pay to much attention to what you have and what it is you just want to move the material as fast as possible. I apologize for not getting a photo of it. That and I never thought I would find a site like that were people get as geeked up about scrap as I do.

9. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by PistoneScrapProcessing:

Fastlane started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PistoneScrapProcessing View Post
    Its probably just straight cupronickel how many times did you shoot it and did you grind it good enough. If its only 128lbs just sell it as cupronickel. Even if it has a high amount of tin in it I don't know if that makes a difference as far as it being cupronickel. I would call email someone who buys alloys give them an exact description of what the break down is. Heck even lie to them about how much you have to get them excited about it so they give you a great price and don't bs you about it. Just a thought. I remember cutting up a propeller once and I though it was just 316 stainless turns out it was some exotic metal and worth 10 grand I almost soiled my pants. I hope its worth a million bucks.

Scanned with the XRF five times. Every time the surface was sanded so that if a coating were present, it wouldnt affect the readings. I was able to do some research and found out it was manufactured by a company called Wise Alloys. I called today and emailed somebody a pic of the XRF display. I'm waiting to hear back on what type of alloy it is. I also hope it is worth a million bucks... but it probably isn't!

11. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Need help with identifying this.
      By johnuppy in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 09-30-2012, 03:46 PM
    2. Mystery Ingots
      By redfive in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: 09-06-2012, 06:23 PM
    3. need help identifying this metal
      By chrisc in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: 08-16-2012, 06:26 AM
    4. Help identifying mystery parts & pictures of my new golf cart
      By forwardlookguy in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 06-02-2012, 09:29 PM
    5. Please help me identify my mystery plate.
      By Don in forum Scrap Metal Identification
      Replies: 25
      Last Post: 10-30-2011, 11:10 PM

Thread Information