Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scraping Automobiles In CA. W/ No Paper Work Possible?

| Dismantling, Breaking Down & Maximizing Scrap
    Pronto Hauling started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Scraping Automobiles In CA. W/ No Paper Work Possible?

I've heard and read at couple different places that if you cut a car or truck into at least three primary pieces you can sell if for scrap with out any paperwork in California. The theory is that once the vehicle is cut up its no longer a vehicle. I've since been planning to buy a car dolly and other needed equipment to get into this business. I constantly come across abandoned vehicles in my area and would love to draw some revenue from them. Im sure some of yall have some expertise in this field, and I would love some feedback as to weather or not this is true.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I'm sure all state laws are different but I did it in NJ without a problem.

It was definitely in more than 3 pieces though. The unibody was in 15 or so pieces and the lids and doors were kept for resale.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    word to the wise if your dealing w/ "abandoned" cars run the vin through the national insurance crime data base and make sure there is no theft history

trust me you DO NOT want to be the one whose name is tied to a stolen car that was brought to the scrap yard.

link below should take you right to the vin search (its free) just to help you cover your butt

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

4. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by ilovejunk:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I think this should go into the "Questions and Answers" forum instead of a forum that is for how to dismantle and maximize your scrap.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Kringle View Post
    I imagine that would be a good Idea I am not sure if the web site that was provided would only apply to cars that are insured or Registered. If you do only use that site I personally would check it a few months after you scrapped the car to make sure that it didn't arrive on the list and If it did arrive on the List well then you can guess why and by that time it would be to late to worry about it anyway.

You could always go to the DMV with the VIN and have them do a search of the car Not sure if the DMV would give you the Info of who owns it or not.

At any rate I wont buy a car unless I have some kind of Bill of sale with the persons signature and their Drivers License Number on it {I actually Verfy the License and Number & Name, Photo. Call me to Cautious but at least if the Police come a knocking I at least have Documented proof of who sold me the car its not like you can just make up a License Number and name that matches { I guess you could if their License is a counterfeit }

At any rate good luck in whatever you decide.
    the site works for currently registered as well as vehicles that have been off the road for a long time,

the DMV here will not let you search vin numbers for anything without some kind of paperwork from the local authorities explaining why you want to know about the vin.

i would of course recommend a bill of sale or some kind of receipt for a car, the website was merely a suggestion for a tool to use to cover your bases and keep yourself out of trouble.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Here in Colorado you can do a vin search on anything as long as you fill out their form and give them a few bucks. It's part of the process to get a title on something that doesn't have one for whatever reason.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts
    abandon car laws in California have always been very liberal as they are here in Florida. however, you need to really study all the laws reguarding vehicles i.e., removing, storage, security for storage, length of holding time. legal paperwork and a hundred other things. the law may say you can remove an "abandon" vehicle. it dosent necessarily say you can then sell it or cut it up.

I know scrappers and crushers who have been doing this for years with no problem. I also know people doing time in prision for it. one doing life with no parole for a gun fight with the police over it. I personally had a grand theft charge hanging over my head for more then a year before it was dismissed for removing a vehicle from an owners property with his permission, which is legal here and in CA. it wasent removeing it it was what I did with it after I removed it. you have to make diligent effort to find the owner, you have to properly store it for a certin length of time, you have to file the proper paper work with the state and on and on and on and on.

you may be able to operate for years , but one A hole owner or cop and your in expensive big big trouble. voice of experience. just my .02

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EcoSafe for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts
    as I remember in CA it is fairly eazy to get a title on an "abandon " vehicle after 30 days here in floridqa it is nearly impossable. people move here all the time from states like AL and Me where if a vehicle boat or what ever dosent need a title after it is x # of years old, when they try to register it or liscense it here they are screwed, and they cant even legally sell it to a scrap yard whole.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
    I helped cut up a old van & we cut the thin panels into 'less then 900mm' (3 foot) lengths & got extra $$ for doing it that way.
    The rest we scrapped down into different grades (med & heavy iron & Ali & copper & brass) & we made a lot more than we thought it was worth, took time though.
    No ownership papers needed here in that case. Other yards don't take cars because of the ownership paper hassles & other take only cars as long as its legit.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to eesakiwi for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    in iowa to be safe i always get a title and then go and get a scrappers certificate from the dmv...if they cant produce a title i dont mess with them...and i know 2-3 yards here wont take scrap cars unless you give them the scrappers certificate as well

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Kringle View Post

At any rate I wont buy a car unless I have some kind of Bill of sale with the persons signature and their Drivers License Number on it {I actually Verfy the License and Number & Name, Photo. Call me to Cautious but at least if the Police come a knocking I at least have Documented proof of who sold me the car its not like you can just make up a License Number and name that matches { I guess you could if their License is a counterfeit }
    Never thought about obtaining the DL # but that is a real good idea. Like you said, unless it is counterfeit, it is a good idea. This way, if the car is stolen, you can provide the authorities with the DL # and they can go after the real thief.
    George Beale - Founder & President - info@viprecyclingjunkremoval.com
    VIP Recycling Junk Removal LLC - Premier Scrap Metal, Junk, & Electronic Recyclers!
    http://www.viprecyclingjunkremoval.com

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    At least get a bill of sale from who ever you buy the car from. Almost every yard won't take a car without a title or lost title form filled out, and if they do they won't pay **** for it. So what I do is lien sale cars that I don't get a title or lost title form on, there's plenty of companies you can use to file the lien paperwork but I use Speedy Lien based in Corning, CA. Where is your location by the way? I work out of the Chico area in butte county. As far as cutting cars up, that doesn't really seem legit to me, plus it's a ton of work. easier to just file a lien on it.

Pronto Hauling started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinsHaulin View Post
    At least get a bill of sale from who ever you buy the car from. Almost every yard won't take a car without a title or lost title form filled out, and if they do they won't pay **** for it. So what I do is lien sale cars that I don't get a title or lost title form on, there's plenty of companies you can use to file the lien paperwork but I use Speedy Lien based in Corning, CA. Where is your location by the way? I work out of the Chico area in butte county. As far as cutting cars up, that doesn't really seem legit to me, plus it's a ton of work. easier to just file a lien on it.
    Im in the Stockton area. There's nothing illegitimate about my question and in my case cutting up cars. The reason I ask is that there are alot of abandoned cars in my area and I wouldn't mind cleaning up the streets some and making some cash.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I get it. but I doubt your scrap yards down there will buy cars cut in 3 pieces like that because the CHP is always up there butts looking for stuff like that. Unless it's a brand new yard that just opened. Then they'll buy anything and everything paperwork or not to get the word out until the CHP shows up and gives them a "warning." Then they usually clean up their act after that if they want to stay open.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I.know of a few yards in ca that take vehicles no questions asked. Just has to be cut in half

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    yeah I live north of the bay area and I scrap a lot of cars w/out paperwork. Im going to cut u three tomorrow lol.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    @ pronto hauling where in ca are you??

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrvictor1 View Post
    @ pronto hauling where in ca are you??
    he said stockton earlier

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    How many ton pressure will it take to crush a car down so you can stack them 3 high. THK in Illinois all I have to do is take the engine and trans out. If I have a titled car I cut the other one up and put it in side the titled car. I have a plasma cutter and I can cut up two cars a day and not be tired. I have to have a 5 ton load to be worth while it 64 miles round trip. At $220.00 a ton it's worth it. Local yards only pay $140.00 to $160.00 a ton and you have to unload your self.
    Last edited by CRThomas; 04-01-2012 at 12:30 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    how about taking a picture of the seller beside the car and pic of drivers license, kind of like they do all copper here.

24. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Scrapping paper
      By BurlyGuys in forum Non Metal Recycling
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 08-20-2012, 06:30 AM
    2. Paper/cardboard
      By TK98 in forum Non Metal Recycling
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 04-03-2012, 11:19 PM
    3. ideal trailer for automobiles
      By metaljacket in forum Tools and Equipment
      Replies: 41
      Last Post: 11-21-2011, 09:54 AM
    4. A paper shredder...
      By rca987 in forum Misc. Metal Recycling
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 07-19-2011, 11:42 PM
    5. Colorado - DVW SERVICES-We will Recycle for you! Metal Debris, automobiles, appliances, and wood
      By Patton in forum Scrap Metal Removal, Junk Car Removal and Metal Recycling Services
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 05-07-2011, 01:20 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information