Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

average weight of motherboards

| General Electronics Recycling
    ozzy214 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

average weight of motherboards

Just a rough idea. Whats the average weight of a motherboard? Im too cheap to buy a scale and trying to figure out if the load I have is enough to cover the gas to jersey to my buyer.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    most ones seem to weigh around 600 grams

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,335 Posts
    Yeah ive found on average about 1.25 lbs But ive had a server board weigh at 4 lbs.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    Motherboards rul of thumb is 1 pound.

You have some that are far more...some that are far less. But when you add them all up it comes out to about 1 pound each.

How many pounds do you have? I may like to place a bid on them if you did not mind.
    My company name was Easy Recycle but has since been closed
    My Name Stephan Harz
    My YouTube page

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PartTimeScrapper View Post
    Yeah ive found on average about 1.25 lbs But ive had a server board weigh at 4 lbs.
    Whats the average weight of server boards? I passed on 70 servers + a load of other bits for $450 because I didn't know how much they weighed.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by harrisvh View Post
    Whats the average weight of server boards? I passed on 70 servers + a load of other bits for $450 because I didn't know how much they weighed.
    Fast math with out seeing a photo..they paid you $2.40 cents a pound...thats if they where 2pounds each...most likely it was more or less 2 to 3pounds each.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    ah so they weigh roughly twice that of normal motherboards on average? Hmm i could have made that work... as there were many other items as well. + all the hard drives, memory and cpus from the boards. They come up with stuff every few weeks so at least now I know. Thank you.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    ah so they weigh roughly twice that of normal motherboards on average? Hmm i could have made that work... as there were many other items as well. + all the hard drives, memory and cpus from the boards. They come up with stuff every few weeks so at least now I know. Thank you.
    Well there are e-waste buyers on this forum that would be more than happy to buy your scrap. With us being one of them.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by easyrecycle View Post
    Well there are e-waste buyers on this forum that would be more than happy to buy your scrap. With us being one of them.
    This I know. There's a few more bits of red tape I need to look at for me to send stuff abroad though I only think this is a major issue for sending stuff to developing countries. There is also the possibility that I might need another licence to ship abroad. approx $780 a year for under 500tonnes and a little under $4k for anything over though I doubt this will affect me....

I think you might have misinterpreted what I said however, I didn't sell the servers, When I said I passed I meant I was thinking of buying them. It would have been a good buy if server boards weigh 2-3lbs. This would have more than covered the purchase cost and left all the remaining stuff of which there was a lot, as profit.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by easyrecycle View Post
    Motherboards rul of thumb is 1 pound.

You have some that are far more...some that are far less. But when you add them all up it comes out to about 1 pound each.

How many pounds do you have? I may like to place a bid on them if you did not mind.
    Easyrecycle, do you pay shipping?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thats based on a per load deal.

There is nothing called free shipping or anything being free.

We can work with you tho to help you out but again this is on a per base deal. Send us an e-mail and let us know what you have and what you need.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    This I know. There's a few more bits of red tape I need to look at for me to send stuff abroad though I only think this is a major issue for sending stuff to developing countries. There is also the possibility that I might need another licence to ship abroad. approx $780 a year for under 500tonnes and a little under $4k for anything over though I doubt this will affect me....

I think you might have misinterpreted what I said however, I didn't sell the servers, When I said I passed I meant I was thinking of buying them. It would have been a good buy if server boards weigh 2-3lbs. This would have more than covered the purchase cost and left all the remaining stuff of which there was a lot, as profit.
    If youhad a chance to buy 70 servers for $450 bucks I think I would have done that one. Thats only $6.50 per server. Im assuming you converted from pounds? I know alot of people here pay at most $5 per computer but I would think I would gladly pay as high as $8 per server. Most of the time a server will have multiple hard drives, usualy more then 4 sticks of ram. Some even have more then one and as many as 4 processors.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PartTimeScrapper View Post
    If youhad a chance to buy 70 servers for $450 bucks I think I would have done that one. Thats only $6.50 per server. Im assuming you converted from pounds? I know alot of people here pay at most $5 per computer but I would think I would gladly pay as high as $8 per server. Most of the time a server will have multiple hard drives, usualy more then 4 sticks of ram. Some even have more then one and as many as 4 processors.
    Thank you, all this I did not know before and yes i converted to $. I originally had to make a 250 mile (fuel cost would have been about another $75) round trip but then at last minute had a friend with a large van working there so could have got the pickup for free. Currently the prices here are not as good as what you guys get but it still would have worked out if servers are that much juicier. Thank you

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thank you, all this I did not know before and yes i converted to $. I originally had to make a 250 mile (fuel cost would have been about another $75) round trip but then at last minute had a friend with a large van working there so could have got the pickup for free. Currently the prices here are not as good as what you guys get but it still would have worked out if servers are that much juicier. Thank you
    The last server I got had 8 sticks of ram, 2 hard drives, 3 riser cards, and the case alone weighed 25 pounds. So thats $2.50 right there in steel weight. Ill take servers over regular pc's all day long unless your going to give me all 486's or something like that

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Most companies will pull the drives for security reasons. I just finished a virtualization project and here is my prize. As you can see, the drives are pulled and marked for destruction. Trying to get the wire also but don't know. Don't know what I am going to do with all the steel either.
    Last edited by ScrapperStoke; 11-03-2011 at 08:36 AM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Take the steel to the scrap yarrd and sell it. 10 cents a pound here.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Not a bad load from what I can see. Those servers there on the left hand side (I count about 13 of them in the photo) have a high grade mother board in them. About 3 pounds each.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    And one to two power supplies and one to to processors and four to eight DIMMs and...Don't know whether to part them out or just flip them. Decisions...decisions...

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    The last server that looked like that that I scrapped had a solid copper heat sink. Weighed over 3 lbs.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    If the servers worked, you might part them out on Ebay. Since shipping is so expensive on servers, working motherboards can go for more than a complete server. Also sell the rails on Ebay. My advice on those would be to sell complete sets. As somebody that's had to buy rails on ebay, I hate it when sellers list the server-side part separate from the cabinet part.
    Other parts to sell on ebay for more than scrap value are the fans (most servers give annoying beeping alarms when a fan goes out or is unplugged) , power supplies and cd/dvd drives. Also check to see if any of the servers have expansion cards such as ILO remote management or SCSI or Fiberchannel cards. You might be able to sell matched pairs of processors and higher capacity ram as well.
    Another option would be to resell to a refurbisher such as nautilusnet.com.

21. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Green Motherboards VS. Colored "Chinese" Motherboards
      By BohemianLush in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 32
      Last Post: 12-04-2012, 02:24 AM
    2. What is the scrap value of an average home PC?
      By scrapmastertim in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 06-24-2012, 10:43 PM
    3. Average weight of light fixture
      By Mick in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 24
      Last Post: 02-07-2012, 07:48 PM
    4. Average prices in So. AZ
      By hobo finds in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 01-16-2012, 02:55 PM
    5. How much should I make per load on average?
      By neff in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 10-03-2011, 10:29 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information