Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

TV Carcases

| Non Metal Recycling
    GeorgeB started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

TV Carcases

I took parttimescrapper's advice in a thread, and contacted the lowed Salvation Army about the TV's. The manager informed me, that they don't do any recycling program at their store.

Most of the landfill's will take TV's and computer monitors, but only like once or twice per month. Some will also charge you for them as well.

I know trash companies will take them, but I don't want to put out like 10 or 15 say at a time, and be slapped with a ticket either.

I see between 10 to 15 ads a day on CL for TV's, and computer monitors, and I know what to expect from each one.

However, I am having an issue in finding a place to take them either for FREE or for very little cost.

Does anyone know of a website that is useful to find organizations that take them tv's and monitors because of the glass or plastic?
    George Beale - Founder & President - info@viprecyclingjunkremoval.com
    VIP Recycling Junk Removal LLC - Premier Scrap Metal, Junk, & Electronic Recyclers!
    http://www.viprecyclingjunkremoval.com

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    To be recycled or dumped? Although I do live in an apartment complex with access to dumpsters, I have taken a tv apart while on the road, and dumped it in a different apartment complex. How is anyone going to know you don't live at those apartments, except of course **maybe** management?

Here or there, my apartment or someone elses...It's all going to relatively the same place...To be on the safe side, check the entrance of the complex, and around any dumpster you use for a "Residents only" sort of sign...You likely won't find one.
    Garbage keyboards > spɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʎɐqǝ

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    It was the Goodwill not the Salvation Army if that makes a diff.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KZBell View Post
    My apologies...been a while since I read it. Around here, they are almost the same. I will give them a call tomorrow, and hopefully they do it.

Thanks KZBell.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rca987 View Post
    To be recycled or dumped? Although I do live in an apartment complex with access to dumpsters, I have taken a tv apart while on the road, and dumped it in a different apartment complex. How is anyone going to know you don't live at those apartments, except of course **maybe** management?

Here or there, my apartment or someone elses...It's all going to relatively the same place...To be on the safe side, check the entrance of the complex, and around any dumpster you use for a "Residents only" sort of sign...You likely won't find one.
    RCA, that probably works for you, but around here, if someone catches you doing that, well the end result won't be pretty.

Plus, I am not looking to damage my business name and credibility by doing something like that. Thanks to KZBell, I will contact Goodwill tomorrow. If they don't take them, then I will find another alternative.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeB for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KZBell View Post
    Well just called the local one here, but like Salvation Army they only take the ones that are working, so wouldn't work if I strip them.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 512 Posts
    Easyrecycle has told everyone that he can find buyers for whole tv's for a brokers fee. Everyone wins this way.
    Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing.
    Thomas Jefferson

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypoman View Post
    Easyrecycle has told everyone that he can find buyers for whole tv's for a brokers fee. Everyone wins this way.
    Wouldn't be whole.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 512 Posts
    my bad dude. it's been a bad weekend and I cant think straight. Anyways, have you thought about processing them yourself if you have the room? After talking to computerscrapper, it really isn't that hard and money is money right?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Is it all the Goodwills, or just special ones? Because when I contected to the link (don't know where is is now) the recycling centers were few and far between?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    http://www.oprah.com/home/Where-to-G...-Your-Stuff/11

Look under Virginia and see if any of those places take them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rca987 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypoman View Post
    my bad dude. it's been a bad weekend and I cant think straight. Anyways, have you thought about processing them yourself if you have the room? After talking to computerscrapper, it really isn't that hard and money is money right?
    I could, but I have no room. Computerscrapper taught me a setup to do, to separate the glass and lead, but with core buyers, you would need pallets worth of stuff to make any real profit off of it.

Right now, I have about 10 different size tv's to breakdown, but till I can find a place that will take the plastic carcasses, and glass, I am leaving them alone.

If I could find a place, then I could be breaking down this amount every 3 to 4 days.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rca987 View Post
    http://www.oprah.com/home/Where-to-G...-Your-Stuff/11

Look under Virginia and see if any of those places take them.
    Thanks for the link RCA. Will contact those places on Monday and pray that someone says yes.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    If you have a choice between tv's and monitors, I'd pick the monitors cause I feel there's better quality stuff inside of them
    P & M Recycling - Specializing in E-Waste Recycling.
    If you enjoy your freedom, thank a vet.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic688 View Post
    If you have a choice between tv's and monitors, I'd pick the monitors cause I feel there's better quality stuff inside of them
    Mechanic,

You mean like copper wiring, instead of aluminum across the tube on the back, or you referring to something else.

I like the idea of copper or aluminum, some wire, the circuit boards, and the heat sinks etc from the circuit boards.

Definitely, not looking to make millions obviously, but since there is an endless supply on Craigslist EVERY day, then I would ALWAYS have something to scrap lol.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,335 Posts
    YEah its goodwill that does it. not all goodwills do it either. I got lucky and the one not more then 2 miles from my house takes them. Ive taken over 20 crt's and tv's in the past 2 weeks no questions asked. Talk to the manager when you call the goodwill though sometimes the people answering the phone dont know what they are talking about.

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    You mean like copper wiring, instead of aluminum across the tube on the back, or you referring to something else.
    I just meant that most of the degaussing cables are copper and some of the better monitors have a large alum. shield right under the back when you take it off. More value for the same labor that's all.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanic688 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic688 View Post
    I just meant that most of the degaussing cables are copper and some of the better monitors have a large alum. shield right under the back when you take it off. More value for the same labor that's all.
    Thanks Mechanic. I remembered this morning, that I also have 2 or 3 computer monitors (the bigger bulky ones), so I will update the thread, when I tear them all apart with my findings.

I would have thought that the material is the same for both, but I guess it really depends on the manufacturers too.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PartTimeScrapper View Post
    YEah its goodwill that does it. not all goodwills do it either. I got lucky and the one not more then 2 miles from my house takes them. Ive taken over 20 crt's and tv's in the past 2 weeks no questions asked. Talk to the manager when you call the goodwill though sometimes the people answering the phone dont know what they are talking about.
    I spoke to the manager in my city, but she said no. Only ones that work. I will see if there is other ones in reasonable driving distance from me and contact them, as well as the people from the link that RCA provided yesterday evening.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,335 Posts
    ABout the larger crt monitors. They are very well worth taking apart. alot of them have sheets of alluminum surrounding the the whole thing. You take of the plastic and its like another case made of alluminum. Some steel too but alot of aluminum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information