Recycling

| Scrap Metal Spots
    ameriprise1000 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Recycling

Is it legal to search through recycling bins people have placed on the side of the road/at the end of their driveway for scrappable metal?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,861 Times in 2,713 Posts
    Most places consider it the property of the city or who ever is contracted to process the recycling bins. So keep your hands off. Also this has been well covered in other threads. I encourage you to spend a lot of time reading past entries. Best to you, Mike.

3. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by miked:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I agree. I work at a town recycling center and every bit you take away is costing the taxpayers money. You also may get a visit from the PD because they may think you are trying to get info like credit card numbers, etc.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    "costing" the tax payers money? Id rather put the $5 i made off aluminum cans that took me 4 hours to pick in my pocket, then the local governments.

6. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by TheHoss:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Just saying that it may be frowned upon. If a recycling center did not get any of the "money" items then think how much taxes would go up.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Yes it is illegal! If it is bins at the road. Here any way. Think of it like this, if you had put in the time and effort to established your own route, provided your clients (residents and businesses) with the proper bins, and come by once a week to pick up your material, would you want a person coming along before you got there and picking through it to take what they wanted? Of course not.

Now trash can are a.different story, imo go for it, but marked recycling bins are off limits.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bpatnoe View Post
    I agree. I work at a town recycling center and every bit you take away is costing the taxpayers money. You also may get a visit from the PD because they may think you are trying to get info like credit card numbers, etc.
    Silly, I find more DL's, SS cards, blank checks, written checks, green cards, bank statements, credit cards, security access cards etc etc in the garbage than I think people would be recycling. I don't intentionally find this stuff, but anytime I do, I always shred it and then burn the shreds.
    Garbage keyboards > spɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʎɐqǝ

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHoss View Post
    "costing" the tax payers money? Id rather put the $5 i made off aluminum cans that took me 4 hours to pick in my pocket, then the local governments.
    I wonder if I can pay my property taxes this year with my saved up Bush beer cans.
    When the white man discovered this country Indians were running it
    no taxes, no debt, women did all the work.
    White man thought he could improve on a system like this. - Old Cherokee saying

I did not surrender, they took my horse and made him surrender. - Lone Watie

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Questions dealing with specific laws really need to be directed to your local governing authority. Every municipality, in every state will have a different ruling on what is and isn't fair game to pick up. You're asking someone from Texas (New Hampshire, Oregon, ....) to give you legal advice without even telling us what state you are located in, much less the town.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to alperin for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Hey, I just gave my professional opinion. I see both sides since I am a full time Transfer Station/Recycling Center worker and a scrapper. On a personal opinion, if I saw a person going through my garbage I would call the cops in a heart beat. Now if you ask the owner, it is a completely different issue.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
    I have grabbed cans from the bins before, now I don't, I figure the owners 'giving' them to the recycling place, not to me, unless I ask.

15. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Nickel Hi Temp Alloy Recycling - Nickel, Tungsten Metal Powder & Sludge Recycling
      By americanscrapmetal.com in forum Introduce yourself
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 12-13-2018, 02:37 AM
    2. Our recycling center dabbing in E-Recycling.
      By tjlock in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 06-01-2014, 10:26 PM
    3. New Hampshire - Metal Recycling and Scrap Metal Removal Services - AA Metal Recycling
      By AA Metal Recycling in forum Scrap Metal Removal, Junk Car Removal and Metal Recycling Services
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 01-15-2011, 01:38 AM
    4. California - Co op recycling
      By skuljagr in forum Scrap Metal Removal, Junk Car Removal and Metal Recycling Services
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 11-24-2010, 10:57 AM

Thread Information