Would you use a yard that doesn't post prices?

| General - Let's talk business
    newattitude started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 904 Posts

Would you use a yard that doesn't post prices?

One of the yards I use doesn't post prices on a board. Now, when they first opened up I figured maybe they were going to get around to it, but when they moved to a new warehouse they still don't post and the lights are always off inside. The open doors give the light. now, I understand conserving energy and all but its a bit disconcerting to say the least. I know what the prices are now of course since I have them memorized but with prices going up and down I never know and geez, I'd like to see the posted prices instead of asking the price for the 8 different things I might be turning in that day. Does anyone else frequent a yard that doesn't post prices?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have never seen prices on a board...anywhere! and there are 8 yards within 15 miles of my place.
    "roaming the streets, looking for treats"

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Ask them for a copy of their current pricing sheet. Yards never post prices because the price can be one thing, one moment, and something else in the next hour.
    George Beale - Founder & President - info@viprecyclingjunkremoval.com
    VIP Recycling Junk Removal LLC - Premier Scrap Metal, Junk, & Electronic Recyclers!
    http://www.viprecyclingjunkremoval.com

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts
    lol in 50 years the only prices I have ever seen posted is in the ads in news papers on rare occasions.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    No, I wouldn't. I frequent different yards for different materials. Every one of them has prices posted on a dry erase board inside.....every one, except one & his are posted online at any given time.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by c4f5 View Post
    No, I wouldn't. I frequent different yards for different materials. Every one of them has prices posted on a dry erase board inside.....every one, except one & his are posted online at any given time.
    His prices must stay pretty frequent then.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by newattitude View Post
    One of the yards I use doesn't post prices on a board. Now, when they first opened up I figured maybe they were going to get around to it, but when they moved to a new warehouse they still don't post and the lights are always off inside. The open doors give the light. now, I understand conserving energy and all but its a bit disconcerting to say the least. I know what the prices are now of course since I have them memorized but with prices going up and down I never know and geez, I'd like to see the posted prices instead of asking the price for the 8 different things I might be turning in that day. Does anyone else frequent a yard that doesn't post prices?
    The one I go to uses a chalkboard but you kind of have to ask where it is - it's not in a real obvious place. I really wouldn't have a choice to not use them if they didn't post prices because they are the only game in town. The city recycling center pays for cans only but takes almost everything. I'd be wary about the lack of lighting, around here many scrappers are not the most upstanding bunch....if you know what I mean. The yard I used to go to in the city was so populated by geekers and tweakers that I almost got broadsided many times while they were zooming in and out of there cranked up.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Any yard I have ever been to around here doesn't post prices or even have a list. I just keep a few in my phone and call to get current prices before I go in.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    thanks for all the replies! It seems like its different everywhere then. I guess I was just used to the main yard I use having them posted on a dry erase board and I know the yard 2 towns over has them listed also.
    I guess I just figured it would be standard practice, kinda like going to a grocery store - the prices are marked so the customer knows what its going to cost them, I wouldn't buy something if I didn't know how much it cost first. Same goes for selling my scrap. So, I guess it isn't a shady business practice then which is what I was wondering since so many of you folks don't have them posted either.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Not to hi-jack your thread but would you ever use a yard that runs out of money and asks you to come back at a further date? One of my major competitors does this. They put a very high price tag, especially on steel. It blows my mind seeing people going there when there are many options including my yard.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by newattitude View Post
    thanks for all the replies! It seems like its different everywhere then. I guess I was just used to the main yard I use having them posted on a dry erase board and I know the yard 2 towns over has them listed also.
    I guess I just figured it would be standard practice, kinda like going to a grocery store - the prices are marked so the customer knows what its going to cost them, I wouldn't buy something if I didn't know how much it cost first. Same goes for selling my scrap. So, I guess it isn't a shady business practice then which is what I was wondering since so many of you folks don't have them posted either.
    Nothing shady about it.

There is a scrap company here that deals exclusively in non ferrous materials. I have spoken to the owner many times, and he always told me, that he doesn't change his prices every hour like the market sometimes does. He wants, till it changes significantly, then he adjusts his prices.

I haven't been there in quite some time though, since his company, and the one I go to, normally have the same prices on non ferrous.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I've never had that happen. I would probably just go to the other yard and take a loss if I had to because I can't be driving around with all the stuff in my truck holding me up and no way would I go offload just to reload later on because whos to say if you did that he wouldn't be out of money the next time you went back!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
    His prices must stay pretty frequent then.
    The one posted online is my auto core buyer and updates weekly. Takes him a couple days each week to get cat prices posted.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
    All of the scrapmetal places here have a board, you may have to look for it but after a few visits people find it.
    It helps too, if the prices have dropped recently it breaks the 'shock'.

It also tells you how they categorize their metals, some have 2 prices for copper, some have 4.

What it dosn't tell you, is what their cartage fees are.... Boy they can 'clawback' a lot of ca$h on their 'Cartage fees'...

I use { http://www.metalcorp.co.nz/pricelist.php } to get a rough idea, its a general price as its based in a big city & dosn't allow for cartage costs from smaller dealers to the exporting port.

Also different dealers may pay a premium for a certain metal because of their individual contracts, so you can see where you really made some 'gold' $$.

What I'd like to have, is a 'ringback fax service' or a 'automatic answering service'.
    Like I could fax them & automatically their fax sends a fax back with their prices on it.

Or, I call them, mention prices, they hit a button on their answer service & I get a recorded message stating their prices.
    Last edited by eesakiwi; 10-25-2011 at 07:54 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eesakiwi View Post

What it dosn't tell you, is what their cartage fees are.... Boy they can 'clawback' a lot of ca$h on their 'Cartage fees'...
    Come again mate?! Are these like export fees?
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

16. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Prices at my yard
      By copycat in forum Scrap Metal Prices
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 11-17-2012, 07:54 PM
    2. Replies: 5
      Last Post: 03-20-2012, 11:39 AM
    3. scrap prices at the yard
      By Everett in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 12-22-2011, 12:20 AM
    4. Some yard prices 5-4-11
      By Victor in forum Scrap Metal Prices
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 05-04-2011, 01:02 PM
    5. Do women get better prices at the yard?
      By Ace in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 04-03-2011, 10:09 PM

Thread Information