first trip to town establdishing E waste rout.

| General - Let's talk business
    EcoSafe started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts

first trip to town establdishing E waste rout.

went to town yesterday for first official trip as EcoSafe. it was pretty much a break even situation as it cost me $50 in fuel and got back about $50 in E scrap but Im pretty optomistic, as I made some very good inroads at establishing a regular rout. I bought some 60 Qt eco green tubs with lids had the ecosafe name and phone number printed on them along with "property of" got 5 of them placed in stores and repair shops, so far.

Here is what I learned. 3 kinds of potential cusatomers. !. those who love you for what you are doing (tree huggers) 2. those who may give/sell you stuff if they think about it at the time. 3. those who dont give a s--t and are going to throw the stuff in the dump any way. the first you will recognise by the shine in their eyes when you explain what you are doing. the 2nd you will recognise by the way their atention is split between you and something else as you are conversing. the 3rd by the glazed over eyes while you are talking and the short phraise " we dont have anything." meaning go away dont bother me.

the tub thing is appreciated by customer #1 and will serve to remind customer #2. Money is really not an influence on any of them, 2 of the customers refused to take the money recognising it is a good service to them, 2 just kind of said uh when quoted $5 per dead computer. 2 were in too much of a hurry to get rid of me to even hear about money. all in all its a start.

Here are the esentials. Business cards, contracts, a short explination of your service (flyer or pamphlet) a certification of hard disk distruction. and THE TRUBS. THAT TEN DOLLAR TUB MAY BE THE BEST INVESTMENT. just my .o2

ps. dont forget to print property of on the tubs, 1. if you dont the tubs will probably be use for other things, 2 it give you legal standing should some one raid the contents.
    Last edited by EcoSafe; 10-22-2011 at 10:27 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by EcoSafe:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Thumbs up The American Dream

Good Job!!!! I get alot of satisfaction,from watching the excitement from our members as they venture out and try new tatics to encourage growth in the American Dream!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    A lot of times I'll see junk in the park or something, and it's been laying there forever rusting, and go to the trouble to ask permission and it's always a no. The city knocked down 30 utility poles and removed the wire and they've been laying there rotting for a few years. I asked public works if I could go take the hardware off them, mostly braces and stuff, and they said no, they were going to take them off themselves and recycle them. So they are going to pay someone 20.00 an hour to go do this someday if it doesn't all rust away first. No wonder taxes are so high.

EcoSafe started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts
    government at its best.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Old dude, I visited 12 computer repair shops this summer. Out of the 12 stores, I now have 6 that call me for their recycling and 2 of those are now
    weekly pick-ups. 3 of the 6 prefer the 30 gallon bin (with my name and logo) and the other 3 dont want them. Out of the 6 stores I only pay 2 of them and
    only for mother-boards. The others are just happy their e-waste doesn't go into the garbage dumpster anymore!! I also have a TV repair shop that
    calls me for rear-projection teardowns, using their dumpster. Last week I left the tv shop with 150lbs of circuit boards, 200lbs of large transformers,
    and 8 50" flat screens (I had to pull the power boards for the owner, and the rest was mine..) Man I love this job!!!........

7. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Not every trip is a payday trip
      By AdamTheScrapper in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: 09-15-2012, 06:20 AM
    2. Trash Picking isn't possible in my town. What should I do?
      By Kochy in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 08-01-2012, 01:19 AM
    3. e rout is slowly building
      By EcoSafe in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 02-17-2012, 12:17 PM
    4. New to town, but not the business
      By dherik in forum Introduce yourself
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 05-11-2011, 07:01 PM
    5. home town philadelphia