Dumpsters =) - cardboard

| Non Metal Recycling
    TETANUSCOWBOY started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Dumpsters =) - cardboard

This is for all them dumpster divers out there !!! I'm still a youngblood to this lifestyle and dumpster diving all though it seems fun lol I was curious as to the success rate !? Is it worth giving it a go and/or should i be targeting curtain dumpsters. . . o and cardboard anybody have any luck with that ?? It's all over the place but is it worth the effort ?? I've been passing by stores who appear to be disregarding cardboard bails , how much would something like that bring in ??

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    Cardboard going rate is around 7 or 8cents. Or...whats what we are getting for our cardboard.
    My company name was Easy Recycle but has since been closed
    My Name Stephan Harz
    My YouTube page

3. The Following User Says Thank You to easyrecycle for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by easyrecycle View Post
    Cardboard going rate is around 7 or 8cents. Or...whats what we are getting for our cardboard.
    7 or 8 cents for how much?

Cardboard everywhere here too but the only place close to me that buys it is paying $40 ton. Not really worth the effort. Back before the recession hit hard it was going for $80 ton which would have been worth it since it is very easy to get.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TETANUSCOWBOY View Post
    This is for all them dumpster divers out there !!! I'm still a youngblood to this lifestyle and dumpster diving all though it seems fun lol I was curious as to the success rate !? Is it worth giving it a go and/or should i be targeting curtain dumpsters. . . o and cardboard anybody have any luck with that ?? It's all over the place but is it worth the effort ?? I've been passing by stores who appear to be disregarding cardboard bails , how much would something like that bring in ??
    I loved dumpster diving. Could go out for a few hours and might not get much of anything or might hit the mother load and fill the truck. Best score I ever got was a transformer for a elevator shaft. It was freaking huge.
    Don't dumpster dive anymore, after a few run ins with the pigs. Never got into any trouble as I was doing nothing wrong but now days with so many scrap thieves the pigs are stopping everyone out at night with metal piled in their truck. The last night I went out they had me pulled over for just over a hour. The industrial places where the scrap is are just off limits now, to me its not worth dealing with the cops.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Catfish Bob for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Catfish Bob View Post
    7 or 8 cents for how much?

Cardboard everywhere here too but the only place close to me that buys it is paying $40 ton. Not really worth the effort. Back before the recession hit hard it was going for $80 ton which would have been worth it since it is very easy to get.
    Its like 7 8 cents a pound or around $140 a ton...its one of those things we get and just stack up so I am not 100% sure but I know it runs alittle cheaper than our scrap tin (computer cases)

On scrap mixed tin we are getting $0.105 a pound....just checked.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to easyrecycle for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    ^dayum!!! If I could get .07 a pound for cardboard I'd be swimming in my money like uncle Scrooge.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    When I first got started with my ex partner, we did dumpster diving. The best score we ever did was over $700 in copper and brass just in ONE dumpster.

I don't do them anymore, because now there are SO MANY more scrappers. I just stick to the requests I get from people and companies.

However, I will say this. You want to focus on dumpsters that belong to construction sites, heating and air conditioning companies, plumbing companies, and any other company that you know that throws stuff out.

Just always get permission first!
    George Beale - Founder & President - info@viprecyclingjunkremoval.com
    VIP Recycling Junk Removal LLC - Premier Scrap Metal, Junk, & Electronic Recyclers!
    http://www.viprecyclingjunkremoval.com

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeB for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Also who the heck buys cardboard? I have heard of wooden pallets, but don't know who buys them, but never heard of cardboard!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
    Also who the heck buys cardboard? I have heard of wooden pallets, but don't know who buys them, but never heard of cardboard!
    Paper mills or companies that make cardboard boxes are the buyers for cardboard. Look for a cardboard box maker or a paper mill and you will likely get one that will buy old cardboard.

The price may be dependent upon whether it is baled or not. This is similar to the way that companies deal with plastics. They will usually give you a higher price if the material is baled and easier to handle. They may also be picky about the kind of cardboard. The local company that buys cardboard around here will not accept things like old pizza boxes because of the grease that has soaked into the material.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ComputerScrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerScrapper View Post
    Paper mills or companies that make cardboard boxes are the buyers for cardboard. Look for a cardboard box maker or a paper mill and you will likely get one that will buy old cardboard.

The price may be dependent upon whether it is baled or not. This is similar to the way that companies deal with plastics. They will usually give you a higher price if the material is baled and easier to handle. They may also be picky about the kind of cardboard. The local company that buys cardboard around here will not accept things like old pizza boxes because of the grease that has soaked into the material.
    Thanks for the tip. I will keep it in mind if and when I might come across anything. I really want to find a pallet buyer. I know there is one or more near me some where, because I have seen a few "pallet scrappers".

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanks for the tip. I will keep it in mind if and when I might come across anything. I really want to find a pallet buyer. I know there is one or more near me some where, because I have seen a few "pallet scrappers".
    Look up companies that SELL pallets. We sell a grade A pallet for $2.50 grade B we are getting $1.25 each.

Running cardboard and or pallets is not a huge profit gain. But I have done both....with pallets..to make some good money find a huge amount of pallets some where (you will buy them) send a trucker out there load the suckers up and truck them down.

in town trucker will cost around $500 to $700 a day Out of town trucker will cost from $800 to $1200 a day. Thats them using there own truck, trailer, fuel, truck insurance and trailer insurance.

Semi rig gets around 4 to 6mpg's....don't have the trucks run for more than what is needed and you will save money so think far a head and have everything planed out hour by hour.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to easyrecycle for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    ALL A GREAT HELP !!! I'm starting to understand the logistics of it all thanks again ... so far I've learned this if it looks expensive it is !! So don't pass it by because 1 minute later ... it's gone with the wind
    lesson learned TETANUSCOWBOY

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Most of the scrap metal yards by me have started taking everything , Basically turned into a recycling plant we take everything you name it we take it lol...The messed up part is i learn more from you guys then i do at my job so maybe you should look into some of the other yards by you , or you could always do the trailer thing and hire a driver...I'm however in no way shape or form ready for that kind of business but things sometimes change

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have tried (not with much effort I have to admit.) to find a buyer for the pallets, I get. But I know nothing about pallets so it makes it a little difficult, there for I usually just throw them in the dumpster... I do wish I had a garage or shop though I would like to experiment with cardoard see how it works, cuz like Catfish Bob said, if the prices were high enough a person could make a nice little peice of change, I see cardboard and plastic bottles EVERYWHERE!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    cardboard is about 6 cents but i havent messed with it, seems like alot of wasted space on my truck and hassle breaking it dopwn ((they only take it flat))

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    google "pallet entreprise" they have lots of info. Was a pallet jockey but @ $2.00 each forget it.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,907 Times in 2,555 Posts
    Cardboard $25 a ton
    Newspaper $15
    Office paper $20
    by me...

24. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Dumpsters!
      By gamedayron in forum Scrap Metal Spots
      Replies: 19
      Last Post: 07-24-2012, 11:52 PM