RV Fridge

| More than Scrap Value
    gustavus is offline Metal Recycling Entrepreneur
    gustavus started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

RV Fridge

Sometimes you will get an older RV as scrap, the owner may have replaced the fridge with a newer larger model.

Here's how they work the refrigerant is mixture of ammonia and water, when heated is driven out of the water as a vapor which goes on a hunt through the coils in search of water as ammonia has an affinity for water. During it's search for water the vapor absorbs heat making ice which cools the box.

The vapor eventually returns to the water which stayed behind because of the lower boiling temperature, ammonia has a lower boiling temp.

These RV type fridges are known to quit working if they sit idle for long periods of time, the ammonia will eventually separate from the water at ambient temperatures settling out at higher elevations within the system making the refrigerator inoperable.

Tip the fridge upside down and leave it until the water has a chance to co-mix again with the ammonia, then again back right side up. You may have to do this several times before the fridge becomes functional again.

Now you have something to sell as a working unit, if this does not work then you have a leaker. No problem there are shops that service RV fridges and they will gladly give you a core payment, usually $50.00 for each nonworking fridge you bring in. Prices may have improved since my last transaction.

If the fridge has been abused and no longer looks good cosmetically, take it in for a core.

Regards
    Gustavus

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gustavus for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I agree with your method to flip them over... there is another tip that the owner of a propane shop told me about... sometimes in the bends of the pipes the mixture hardens and crystalizes.... feel the pipes and they should be warm/hot to the touch...where is stops getting warm, you have a blockage... try hitting with a hammer..... not too hard mind you... you don't want to break the line and breathe in amonia

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,227 Posts
    Those thing are magic! No moving parts & runs off gas, & two powers...

You could even use a small fire made from twigs & it set up for another 12 hr run.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavus View Post

These RV type fridges are known to quit working if they sit idle for long periods of time, the ammonia will eventually separate from the water at ambient temperatures settling out at higher elevations within the system making the refrigerator inoperable.

Tip the fridge upside down and leave it until the water has a chance to co-mix again with the ammonia, then again back right side up. You may have to do this several times before the fridge becomes functional again.

Regards
    Gustavus
    Huh. THAT is interesting. My RV fridge stopped working, and I bet it's just from sitting idle. I'm excited to hear this might be a simple fix. I was just going to rip it out, scrap it, and replace it. Thank you!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,462 Times in 668 Posts
    Jilly, leaving them upsidedown for 24 hours usually does the trick.

7. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by freonjoe:

8. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. no name fridge
      By bluemeate in forum More than Scrap Value
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 08-13-2012, 11:12 AM
    2. RV Fridge
      By gustavus in forum Dismantling, Breaking Down & Maximizing Scrap
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 09-07-2011, 08:13 AM
    3. Fridge compressors
      By rusty in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers