Where to find scrao

| Scrap Metal Spots
    gustavus is offline Metal Recycling Entrepreneur
    gustavus started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Where to find scrao

Logging camps, mining operations and the water front.

The water front tends to have scrap strewn about everywhere I found it difficult to find anyone claiming ownership to give permission or cut a deal. If an engine was laying in the riverbed i would not hesitate to hook a cable onto it then yard it onto the truck.

Logging camps have always been easy to deal with thee are generally family owned while mining ops are a bit more troublesome as there are generally share holders involved making it more difficult to dispose of assets.

B.C. Hydro has some good scrap auctions, I have bought lots of stuff from them in the past, easy transactions if your the high bidder. The only thing I disliked about these auctions is that they were always closed bids.

If your pockets weren't very deep you were limited to how many item your could bid on,I'm sure that if you had a problem paying for all your winning bids they would blacklist you from ever submitting future bids.

Rental yards are another source of scrap, I've bought welders which i repaired and sold along with numerous other pieces of junk.

There used to be a large welding supply company in B.C. Barry Hamels that had a large fleet of rental units again I would purchase machines from at scrap prices some where just that scrap while others were repairable.

Not all welders have copper windings on the armature and coils many are aluminum wound, don't be fooled by the glibcoat the shellac painted on for insulation it has the color of copper. Scratch test for sure.

Forklift rentals are another good place to hit up and don't forget about gravel pits, crushers wear out a lot of parts and screening plants go through screens. You never know what your going to find.

Do not hesitate to accept large spools of cable, if its in a rats nest forget it unless your ambitious and hard up for money. Cable from spools has to be cut into 4 foot sections, the yards will not accept it on spools.

If you ever had steel cable wrapped into you cat tracks you will know why.

Regards
    Gustavus

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gustavus for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Around here if you are caught on mine property, your maced, cuffed and then arrested...

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    sounds expensive!!!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Kringle View Post
    I Would just like to Know what Scaro is
    I'm aware, a typo in the subject line that I could not edit.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMetal View Post
    Around here if you are caught on mine property, your maced, cuffed and then arrested...
    Seconded. These are large industry owned areas. Also in the grey area of D felonies, like trespassing and attempted theft. You plan on doing this, you better have a lawyer on retainer and a good excuse to be out late.

These places have auctions for their scrap and company owners, try there first. Walking into something without knowing where you're going or whom to talk to just makes you lost. Write that down. That's a good quote.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    You guys are attempting to access private property via the back door. Every Public or Private company will have someone with enough authority to make disposals of scrap assets under a certain dollar value.

Getting into the CEO's office is a snap, use the telephone, he may pass you onto someone lower on the totem that can look after such a menial task.

I've wrecked stuff that made me wanna cry, a brand new Lincoln diesel welder the only damage was wire insulation burnt to the generator housing no internal damage. The machine was insured I was bound by agreement to destroy it.

Two Toshiba 1 hour photo labs less than a year old, the rep flew out from Toronto to pull the boards, have me sign an agreement to destroy.

Walk in coolers complete with evaporators and condensers the people in this trade did not care how you disposed of them, we have a refrigeration tech on board if I'm giving you a line of bull he would be the first to put me straight.

A Nestles bottled water plant in Hope B.C. did an remodel and expansion, everything they took out was stainless steel - tons of it. We got it for free, with the following requirements, I had to shave off my beard, wear a hair net and hard hat along steel toed boots, no forklift allowed. I hired a local kid and we dollied it out of the building.

If you were to look at me you would think I was a biker or a homeless soul, I have a beard and long hair and do not wear a suit unless Levis count. Learn some public relations and you will be well on your way to a successful business career be it in the scrap metal industry or selling Christmas trees door to door.

Regards
    Gustavus
    Last edited by gustavus; 09-07-2011 at 06:14 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by gustavus:

9. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. you never know what your going to find
      By gueroinchicago in forum Misc. Metal Recycling
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: 10-13-2014, 12:06 AM
    2. Awesome find
      By mascraps in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 04-06-2013, 02:50 AM
    3. Silverware find
      By BurlyGuys in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper