Mick started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts

Is your scrap yard following you on here?

Another thread reminded me that scrap yards ARE monitoring this site. I found this out the other day when I was told that the scrap yard where I go knows all about me, my web site and my involvement with this forum. I doubt I'm anything special in that regard - only in my mind. You might want to be careful in relating how you cheated the scrap yard. Although I'm open about who I am, it wouldn't be hard for a local yard to figure out who you are even if you use a "screen name". A couple years ago, I watched (online) as a guy who tried cheating a buyer of auto parts got tracked down. He initially taunted them, thinking he was hiding behind the web. Within a couple days, he was begging for mercy - offering full refund - anything to get them to back off. Also, IRS agents monitor sites like this.

Just a friendly warning.

People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

Mick started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    I forget what brought it up but I asked if they knew they'd gotten national and international advertising. Then it went from there. Nothing threatening.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I wondered about that when I read what people hide in their washers and dryers. I hope the guy who put glass inside a washer got caught. Some people brag on the forum about how they cheat their yards and although I try to make sure there is more metal than plastic on every item, sometimes it's "iffy". But to deliberately cheat them is reprehensible to me, and to brag about it makes it seem worse. But, re the IRS, I don't think they have the manpower to scope out forums...and they have bigger fish to fry.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    Yes a good few yards keep an eye here....why not? you hear about other great citys where you maybe able to setup shop an make a good profit because that city has bad pricing...

anyone who cheats the scales...well i will just keep to my self on that subject but that wont fly with me!
    My company name was Easy Recycle but has since been closed
    My Name Stephan Harz
    My YouTube page

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumpster Dee View Post
    I wondered about that when I read what people hide in their washers and dryers. I hope the guy who put glass inside a washer got caught. Some people brag on the forum about how they cheat their yards and although I try to make sure there is more metal than plastic on every item, sometimes it's "iffy". But to deliberately cheat them is reprehensible to me, and to brag about it makes it seem worse. But, re the IRS, I don't think they have the manpower to scope out forums...and they have bigger fish to fry.
    I have to agree with you on this Dee. I also put a lot of stuff in washer and dryer drums, but like most of us here it is small metal stuff. It is too easy for a yard to open a door and see that you are trying to put one over on them. I would rather have them open the door and see that I am trying to give them a good value, which puts me on their "preferred" list (if they had one). When I take stuff apart if some of the pieces is nothing but plastic, it does not go in the drums, it goes in the trash. This is all within reason of course. If I am taking the aluminum cooler out of the freezer portion of the refrigerator and some plastic is removed, the plastic goes in the trash. But at the same time I am not going to intentionally try and remove all the plastic I can from a fridge.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Another thread reminded me that scrap yards ARE monitoring this site. I found this out the other day when I was told that the scrap yard where I go knows all about me, my web site and my involvement with this forum. I doubt I'm anything special in that regard - only in my mind. You might want to be careful in relating how you cheated the scrap yard. Although I'm open about who I am, it wouldn't be hard for a local yard to figure out who you are even if you use a "screen name". A couple years ago, I watched (online) as a guy who tried cheating a buyer of auto parts got tracked down. He initially taunted them, thinking he was hiding behind the web. Within a couple days, he was begging for mercy - offering full refund - anything to get them to back off. Also, IRS agents monitor sites like this.

Just a friendly warning.
    You are correct, people don't realize that they have to file taxes since it is cash money, but you do. Great thing is, you end up paying more towards retirement, then working for someone else. Or at least I did. Last year alone, I paid in over $800, and that wasn't even do this full time.

You just keep a record of how much you make, a receipt for anything you buy (such as tools, accessories for tools etc).

What I do, is whenever I go out, I keep my metal stubs from the yard, gas receipts, misc receipts for tools bought or anything else, then when I get home, I scan it all to my PC and put the receipts in certain folders, then come tax year, I tax my external hard drive to their office, and they do the rest!

But I agree Mick, you cheat someone it will bite you hard!
    George Beale - Founder & President - info@viprecyclingjunkremoval.com
    VIP Recycling Junk Removal LLC - Premier Scrap Metal, Junk, & Electronic Recyclers!
    http://www.viprecyclingjunkremoval.com

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    anyone who cheats the scales...well i will just keep to my self on that subject but that wont fly with me!
    I agree with you on this one,,, if they'll cheat the scale, they'll cheat you or their mom. Would not want an employee like that,,,

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I don't think my yard comes on here, altho I have nothing to hide from them anyway... I have been going there for 20 years and have started to do some work for them off and on since last fall... so I would never intentionally hide anything from them....don't want to lose my extra income

Dawsey is offline Metal Recycling Entrepreneur
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    This is why a section such as the private section is very useful for threads that maybe you wouldn't want your local yard seeing or a IRS agent.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Treat your yard(s) with the same professional courtesy you would give your customers/clients, and pay your taxes & it won't be a problem

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I don't believe in cheating and neither does my partner in life or business. I think that what you do in your life comes back on you at the end of it. We live in a small community that has, mmm lets think here..4 that I can think of scrap yards. We go to the best of those 4 for a variety of reasons, one being that they always pay the best and the other is that they are nice and polite. That is rare.

12. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Buy at a scrap yard, sell at a Recycling yard?
      By ScraperRick in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 09-14-2012, 07:27 PM
    2. scrap yard
      By wescrapmetal in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 24
      Last Post: 02-19-2012, 07:36 PM
    3. no scrap yard here
      By dunerati in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 11-20-2011, 06:52 AM

Thread Information