Full Timers Please help

| Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
    worley76 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Full Timers Please help

A year or so ago I started cleaning up my parents place. It is a farm that has been in the family for about 70 years and ya there is 70 years worth of metal laying around this place. At the time I was not into scraping but as I started cleaning up I decided to see what I could get out of the metal. Man was I surprised!! I know I lost out on some stuff that should have been torn down but I quickly realized that there is money to be made in this business.

In the last few months I have learned that my full time job may be in jepordy. I work for the state DOT and they are downsizing and contracting all the work out. What I was hoping to find out is what would be the most important things to start doing to get into scraping full time. I have become addicted to this and the metal at my parents place is going to run out. I figure I have about a year before my full time job may disappear. I don't want to waste any time getting work lined up, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Buy the way this has got to be the best forum I have ever found when it comes to recycling metals. Thanks so much!!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    First, read all the articles on this site.

The key for long-term scrapping is developing contacts. Call all your local auto repair shops, electronics repair stores, plumbers, electricians, carpenters, and ANY other place you know has or think generates scrap. Next, advertise. Put an ad in the paper, craigslist, and maybe get a website. There's a million other things to it, but those are a few of the basic ideas.
    There's nothing more fun and more effective than hitting something repeatedly with a sledgehammer

3. The Following 4 Users say Thank You for This Post by Scrap man:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Develop a Business Plan showing WHAT you are going to do and HOW. Decide what you are going to scrap (all general metals, electronics, estate cleanouts etc). Define your area of operations. Take stock of what tools and equipment you have and what you'll need to get. Design some good business cards and a GOOD, WELL-DEVELOPED web site. My favorite saying is - Start Small; Grow Slow. Advertise, advertise and advertise (it doesn't even need to cost much - this site, Facebook etc). Let everyone you know, know what you're doing. Have space for your scrap. Learn how to maximize profits. Develop regular clients.

edit: Scrap Man beat me.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

5. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mick:

6. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. How many of you are full time?
      By fulltimejunker in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 38
      Last Post: 08-01-2014, 07:56 AM
    2. Props to you full timers
      By thirsty in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 08-16-2012, 08:21 AM
    3. Part Timers?
      By demillo in forum General - Let's talk business