Suggestive wording when inquiring about scrap

| Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
    wayne1956 started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Suggestive wording when inquiring about scrap

Many of us have seen appliances sitting beside houses, in sheds, just out of the way when the owners replaces those items. And upon seeing them have inquired on what they plan on doing with them, if they would like them hauled off. One thing I have found is many times the owners ask what I would do with them. I usually tell them I will try to fix it or if I cannot I will recycle it. The point of this post is the word recycle. I have found many people have a negative association with the word "scrap", so I have replaced the word "scrap" with "recycle" as much as I can. It basically sounds more "eco-friendly", and many people are more open to that word. I have found people are more open to having the appliances hauled off if they are "recycled" instead of "scrapped". "Scrap" often says to them "I am going to make money off of something you could as easily take in and make money off of yourself. "Recycle" is more of "put the items back to use as something else, be eco-friendly". Recycle basically has less of a monetary tie to it than the word scrap does. So I would suggest that if someone asks you what you are going to do with the old appliances you want to pick up (or even a pile of scrap metal you are inquiring about), you let them know that you are going to "recycle" them.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wayne1956 for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I agree wayne...and you said it well....it has been said hundreds of times in hundreds of ways throughout our threads...always good to hear it a new way.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    ...it has been said hundreds of times in hundreds of ways throughout our threads...
    Dee, are you saying this advice has been recycled?

I have to think Wayne is correct though. People are so much more tuned in to how you say something, as opposed to what it is you're actually saying...

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    lol ditchdigger....couldn't have said it better myself !!

Thread Information