Haunted House

| Scrap Metal Spots
    KzScrapper started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts

Haunted House

My 18 year old has been building haunted houses for the past 4 or 5 years with each year getting progressively bigger and this year he and his buddies got backing($) and struck a deal with a mall about 15 miles south of us. The space has been several different dept stores over the years and is upwards of 50k in floor space with a hallway that goes around the perimeter of the space both upstairs and down. I had a chance to walk it the other day and could not believe all of the scrap left over from the different renters. The last renter was a Steve and Barry's(cheap clothes) that went belly up and left what ever fixtures that did not sell and as part of my son's lease it was aggreed that they could do whatever they wanted with the remaining fixtures.

So as the build of the haunt goes on I am going to come in and scrap or sell what I can for their petty cash fund and oh what a fund it is going to be. I spent yesterday clearing the pile in the pic, over 8000 pounds of shelving rails and brackets. Took 2 loads to a yard close to them that only paid $180 for shred, but served lunch, and the last load went to my regular yard at $190 a ton. The other blurry pic is of the space that will contain most of the haunt.

Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Cleaning the scrap out of...

then

Scaring the crap out of

Sounds like fun!

3. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Scrap Master J:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    A few years ago, a friend demo'd a Walmart store, to make way for a Sam's Club. I got about a pickup load of good quality shelving out of there, for my own use, but they filled multiple 40 yard dumpsters with the rest, headed for the scrapyard. Just pushed it out the door with a skidloader and squashed down in the dumpster. Some of it was still brand new on pallets.

The real irony is that I also got some collapsable shipping boxes, and they're imprinted with a message that they cost the company 3 bucks each, and they **** well better find their way back to Arkansas for re-use. (Or words to that effect...)

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    What part of your anatomy did you tell Walmart to Kiss?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Oh, I wasn't dealing with Walmart directly. The boxes, and the message on them, were for their internal use, shipping small stuff from the distribution centers to the stores. I just thought it was funny that they'd be so frugal with getting their people to take care of a three dollar box, while they walked away from thousands of bucks worth of hardware and left it to the scrap man.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
    Oh, I wasn't dealing with Walmart directly. The boxes, and the message on them, were for their internal use, shipping small stuff from the distribution centers to the stores. I just thought it was funny that they'd be so frugal with getting their people to take care of a three dollar box, while they walked away from thousands of bucks worth of hardware and left it to the scrap man.
    The scrap man? I don't remember getting anything! Lol, just kidding
    There's nothing more fun and more effective than hitting something repeatedly with a sledgehammer

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrap man for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Very nicely managed. I like it.
    Last edited by Mick; 08-09-2011 at 04:47 AM. Reason: spam link

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanks for 86'in the spam Mick.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Now that Halloween is over was able to get in the haunt and haul some more scrap out of there the last couple of days. Another 9500# bringing the total to about 18000#. This was all stuff left by previous tenants. Most the cash went to the haunt to store their stuff for next year. Huge shout out to PartTimeScrapper for bringing his trailer and helping out today...Thanks Man!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KzScrapper for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    KZ - somewhat related, you might want to tell your son to checkout dumpsters at any seasonal halloween costume shops in your area, they are all vacating their spaces and I found tons of costumes and spooky stuff at one near me. I pulled about a 1200.00 retail in costumes and junk that I will gladly keep in my basement until I can sell them next year. He might be able to stock up.

There is a company in my area (maybe nationwide) that sets up shop in vacant store fronts for a couple of months to sell halloween crap called Spirit Halloween Stores in case you don't know what I'm talking about. I spent a good part of tonight trying to get mrs. disco to model a little (and I mean LITTLE) french maid costume...clearly didnt happen because I am on SMF now instead

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,256 Times in 1,335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KZBell View Post
    Now that Halloween is over was able to get in the haunt and haul some more scrap out of there the last couple of days. Another 9500# bringing the total to about 18000#. This was all stuff left by previous tenants. Most the cash went to the haunt to store their stuff for next year. Huge shout out to PartTimeScrapper for bringing his trailer and helping out today...Thanks Man!
    Anytime

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydisco View Post
    I pulled about a 1200.00 retail in costumes and junk that I will gladly keep in my basement until I can sell them next year. He might be able to stock up.
    care to list some of your stock.. im interested... any chance you have any animal or food costumes??

bunny, gorilla, banana....
    collecting san joses scrap

16. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. House cleanout
      By Mick in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: 07-24-2012, 06:25 PM
    2. House demo
      By BRASSCATCHER in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: 05-26-2012, 03:52 PM
    3. Scrapping out a house!