Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

How much is too much?

| General - Let's talk business
    EcoSafe started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts

How much is too much?

many of us are living in areas where scrapping is getting out of hand compitition wise. Accordingly, freebies are becomming more and more rare, and we are forced to buy scrap and as we see on the boards more and more compitition is pouring in every single day.

the smaller your operation is the more this trend will effect you. Some uf us will survive it, many of us won't.

loyalty: what I am proposing is this, loyalty to those on the boards, who help each other, large and small. a penney or two a pound is not going to make an SIS scrapper rich, or put us out of business, and is is certainly worthy price for loyalty.

Education: some of the larger buyers have bent over backwards to educate us along with the exchange of Ideas and thoughts of us smaller folks. We must work smarter, I know I can't work any harder. I propose a new section or at least a thread where we can post the actual value of a scrapped item based on a standard price that is easy to convert and calculate like $3 for #1 copper .10 for iron ect. and those with a gram $ a larger scale analize each item we salvage to the degree we know pretty close the end value of that item, i.e. class 2 transormer/power supply, a window A/C, an A/c compressor, a washer, etc. for example the transformer at .20 a lb versus break down price for the copper and iron. this will give us exactly what we are willing to pay for these items when forced to buy them. I fruther suggest we provide this info only to members, not lurkers and visitors, some how. If I were to do this on my own I would want to be paid for such info so it is not unreasionable to pay the site for the same info just to keep the lurkers and inteligence thieves out.

ethics: come up with a code of ethics we expect all to follow to some degree, if we dont the regulators will. i.e. if you see some one blatently following unlawfull procedures or methods on property not their own do you report it ot not, If you see a thief do you turn them in or not, as distastfull as it is for me to do that I think it may be necessary for us to survive the coming hard times.

for example I am bidding on 43 DT comps located 60 miles from me, right off the bat I have $50 in fuel cost. now how much is that load worth to me to make a reasionable profit, I know there is no exact figgure but there is an average a computer will bring broken down, we need to be able to calculate the maximum price to pay for such a load, $3, $5. per unit?

what are your thoughts ?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Wouldn't need new section - the Scrap Room would preclude the lurkers and visitors. I'm kind of working on an idea along these lines - that would be to the financial benefit of all parties. If you get up a Code of Ethics, you would also want to start an "Association" where there would be some real benefit to members.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    olddude, you continue to amaze me...your "comeback" has been amazing to follow with your posts...and even when your body was still weak, your mind was going 100 MPH. I, for one, admire you tremendously. I think the scrappers younger than us (seems like avg is over 50 ??) will say, yea, I was on the forum when olddude first had that idea way back when. Keep the gears turning and keep sharing something is going to start to happen. Just my .02 !!!!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    Mick alone the line of a "Association" this is what I think...

I feel to make it fair you will need to have a BoD (Board of Directors) an those who will be on the board will have to be experts in there own field Ie...me in the E-waste. When you are a member of the association you pay a small monthly member fee that in short. Means that the BoD keeps an eye on what you do an kinda like the BBB. Having a website that companies can go to find companies/scrappers in there city/state that follow the association rules of business can an would be helpful.

I thought about making a association like this but would need other people to be apart of it an help run it as I am running a full size company as it is. It will be a non-for profit ( 501(c) class).

i can get most of the paper work done for this kind of thing an use my office staff to work on this an keep most of the books.

Thing I need to ask/know how many people would sign up for this an pay the monthly fee or yearly fee. Who all will volunteer for this kind of program?

P.s reason why there is a fee...there will be work an things cost money. So money will have to come in one way or another. Even for a badge or a card that will show that they are in fact part of the association an that they follow all the rules an ect ect. So there will be paper work, mailings an many other things.

If this will be done you have to be realistic about what it will take to get off the ground...the cost involved an how much work it will take to do something on this kind of scale. Can it be done? I feel it could be but it will take a lot of time an some really smart heads.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I'd be willing to get in on something like that. Maybe not on a BoD, but definitely as a member.
    There's nothing more fun and more effective than hitting something repeatedly with a sledgehammer

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    If you're serious about starting a trade association here's a great link to read up on.

http://www.taforum.org/showarticle.pl?id=9;n=406

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    easy, I think you are a younger version of oldude !! Ya'll make a great team

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    dherick, went to that site and was turned off right away by the word REGULATIONS !!! That's a four letter word to me.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

damit just lost another post to timing out

how do I keep from timing out.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    ill repost it later. just think of this or something better "Associan of independent Recyclers" AOIA

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    This would be very helpful. I really liked the break down cost of computers. That will help if I need to buy any in the future. I think having a break down on more items will help us all. Since we all live in different places we could adjust our prices accordingly.
    I have been trying to avoid buying anything since the prices offered where I live are about half of what most of you get.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    ok let me try again: first I would say no regulations but instead a code of ethics.

a flip open ID with id and code of ethics, with some sort of official seal or something

the board must be made up of one member from each segment of the rec buisness, each board member having veto power over new ethics codes. in that way we insure a big yard dosent join with a bunch of friends and squeze out the little guy.

I can give you nightmare stories about this or you can simply look at what is going on in the country now.

there are citys where mega buck guys come in and become the official city recycler, every rhing on the curb or any whare else is theirs, and as the profit in scrap getts higher you will see this go viral, ie the donate car thing.

my vision is that we are independent and equil, together, WE are the big guys!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    With any group that would be made. If there where no regulations an only a code of ethics then how can one be removed from the association?

I understand why some of you will be scared of the word of regulations but all that word means is that there is a set of rules that HAS to be followed an or you lose your "badge" LIKE the BBB.

I my self don't like the word of regulation but that is how it would HAVE to be done for it to work.

A cop pulls you over an tells your...our code of ethics says to follow the speed limit. You can in fact tell the cop at that time its something YOU should DO but you do NOT have to. As its a guideline that YOU SHOULD follow...but you don't in fact have to.

That is why there is REGULATIONS on what you CAN do or NOT do on the highway.

Not sure if you see what I mean or not. If not go ask a attorney for a FULL definition/meaning.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    A.I.R. / Association of Independent Recyclers...thats even kinda catchy, and over all doesn't sound like a bad idea.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I agree with recycle - There would have to be a set of rules. Even Olddude, in saying he doesn't want rules, goes on and lays out some rules.

Olddude, not sure why you're timing out, but try this: Type up what you want in a Word document (or similar document). Copy and Paste onto the response block. Hit Post Quick Reply.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Kringle View Post
    A code of ethics is only as good as the person that took a Oath to up hold them. Not to rain on anyones Parade but has anyone Ever noticed a Senator,Congressman,President that has Violated the Code of Ethics?
    Do they even have one???

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    actually yes Im aware of the congressional "code" of ethics but I kinda thought we were much better people then those in washington.

i just hate the word REGULATION because of what it has done in my life, I have been REGULATED out of business more then once, when the regulations were used for nothing other then protectionist reasions. if some one violates a code of ethics they can be removed, I just dont want this taken over by some chinese or middle easern conglomerate. which is rampant currently in the national scrap yards and auto yards.

however if the board were made up of at least one member of each area of our industry and each board memver had ceto power then I would agree.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

dont want this to turn political

that said in the Caley Anderson thing, ya have to prove some one was murdered before you can find some one guilty of it. the jury all knew she was guilty, and Im sure they will live with that not guilty plea for the rest of their lives, but under constitutional law they made the right decision.

I know most people today are dummed down enough to need a government manual and and a video to be able to wipe their butts, what I dont want to happen is for some one to pass a regulastion telling me which hand to use or what brand tiolet paper, because some one else has no common sence, or responsability.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    lets just move back to the point at hand.

how many out there want to out line an association and see where it goes.

my vote is yes to an exploratory commitee.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I think that Old Dude and Easy have a great idea. It needs some guidlines, and etc. I would join it without delay, and I would like to offer any help to the board when it is formed. I am new to scrapping but I am learning. I have learned a lot just being a member here from all of you who are willing to help. Thanks for all that you do.
    Mardigras

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information