easy where are ya when I need ya :)

| General - Let's talk business
    EcoSafe started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts

easy where are ya when I need ya :)

scrapped my first 2 coms today one custom buil with a nice big pentium 11 ceramic cpu. and then comes an old hp with a cpu aparently so small I cant find it. help ! big old fan and heat shield and a couple of nice rams 2 hard drives but where the hell is the cpu ? is it that dinky square thing attached to a heafty heat shield flat plate. and if it is how do you get it off . lol I was so excited about finding that big pentium. then I hit this. thanks in advance and of cporse you will get my businees ya didnt even need to bother to ask. just need to figgure the most econimical way to get it there.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    might be, thanks but Im thinkin boards, got a pick up load coming in next week
    . also got about 50 lb of cable ends I need to send some are G plate others Im sure are brass just cant tell which . by the way Im countin chickens, the load was promised we will see what happens.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    way to go olddude...I think easy said he was going to show us how to take the cpu's off in the next video. Or else I dreamed it. I think easy has gotten all of us excited about e-scrap. Wish we were all sitting on a barrel of it like Re-cycler !! I took two apart today too, but I haven't lucked up on a Pentium yet. Good for you.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    you just ruined my day !! I haven't checked out mailing costs yet, but I'll take your word for it. I was planning to send a box a few wks ago, but I'm glad I didn't. Easy would have laughed at the "junk" I was planning to send....lot's of low grade boards, etc. It probably wouldn't have my postage. But, we are learning now, thanks to easy, so I'll just keep stockpiling as you suggest, Re-cycler. BTW, I learned to drive on my grandfathers 47 Dodge pickup. And I still have it.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Olddude: Is the processor stuck to the bottom of the heat sink? Some times a CPU will get stuck to the bottom buy the heat sink compound, and all you have to do is slide it off to the side of the heat sink. If you have a slot CPU like a Pentium 2 or 3 that is a processor that is mounted to a circuit board and surrounded with plastic. Those will have a large heat sink screwed to it. You can unscrew the heatsink and pop the plastic apart.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    As far as shipping the larger items. Figure it at $1.50 per pound to ship mother boards and the heavier items. So if motherboards are paying $3.20/lb. You are gonna net $1.70/lb. If you can find a buyer that is within 8hrs. of your location it will pay you more to just drive it. That is what we are doing currently. We can't afford to take the big hit on the shipping because of how much time we have invested in our operation. We can pack up Mechanics Taurus and make a 9hr round trip and gross $900-$1200 just in a Ford Taurus. Costs us a days work and $100 for gas and food. Of course we are not currently paying for e-waste yet, so it is working out great for the little loads. When we start processing a lot more volume, we will have to make bigger loads so that our profit margins stay in the same percentage.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    thanks I must have dropped it some where . I cant believe that dinky thing stuck to the board or the heat sink is it there is no plastic arround it nothing. ill look tomarro and see if I can find a photo on the net of an old Hp mother board and cpu

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Your welcome Olddude! Your right some CPUs can get kinda small. Sometimes you might run across a "no pin" processor that attaches to the MoBo like a regular CPU, but has a metal bracket holding it down. They are very small in comparison to a regular CPU, and are thin like a wafer. Though, if its an older computer, prolly not a "no pin."

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    Lol wow Just woke up an saw thing thread!

Yes as snodly said sometimes it gets stuck to the heat sink an you just pop it off. If its still on the motherboard there is a small "stick" by the CPU an you would lift that up an the cpu will just pop right out.

Mailing small boxes with the US Mail store is fairly cheap...but its best to mail more things in one lot as the more weight you send the better it is to mail.

On your cord ends please post a photo on here of them. I wont want you sending me the wrong ones. They HAVE to be the GOLD cord ends not the brass ones. I can't do anything with the brass cord ends.

Shipping the motherboard by ups or fedex for a 80+ pound box is only around $30 or $40. I don't remember what it is off hand. So it is better to save it up until you have a bigger load to send in one LARGE box than 20 small boxes.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    solved Part of the mistery. went out and dug out the case and the com had a pentium II in it I remember having it in my hand now. so the wormhas turned, now all I have to do is figgure out where I put it so I wouldnt lose it.......hey it a seinor thing ok.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snodly View Post
    As far as shipping the larger items. Figure it at $1.50 per pound to ship mother boards and the heavier items. So if motherboards are paying $3.20/lb. You are gonna net $1.70/lb. If you can find a buyer that is within 8hrs. of your location it will pay you more to just drive it. That is what we are doing currently. We can't afford to take the big hit on the shipping because of how much time we have invested in our operation. We can pack up Mechanics Taurus and make a 9hr round trip and gross $900-$1200 just in a Ford Taurus. Costs us a days work and $100 for gas and food. Of course we are not currently paying for e-waste yet, so it is working out great for the little loads. When we start processing a lot more volume, we will have to make bigger loads so that our profit margins stay in the same percentage.
    I would like to know where you got the $1.50 per pound for shipping cost!! that is over the top high. An if you can fill a gaylord or two you know that is around 600 to 1,000 pounds easy an only cost around $200 if you do a little shopping around? Thats how you should ship things like scrap or other large items is by the pallet an not with the US mail or ups/fedex!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by easyrecycle View Post
    I would like to know where you got the $1.50 per pound for shipping cost!! that is over the top high. An if you can fill a gaylord or two you know that is around 600 to 1,000 pounds easy an only cost around $200 if you do a little shopping around? Thats how you should ship things like scrap or other large items is by the pallet an not with the US mail or ups/fedex!
    I'm paying less than .75/lb by UPS with $3500 insurance. If we drop the insurance it's less than .50/lb

Don't know where the 1.50 came from.

13. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. sweet easy stripping tool
      By venom2 in forum Scrap Metal Tips and Advice
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 09-26-2012, 08:42 PM
    2. taking it easy today
      By corycouch in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 03-14-2012, 09:42 PM
    3. Some days its so easy!
      By vulture in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper