Obtaining tools

| Tools and Equipment
    JacksDaddy started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Obtaining tools

I went to b&q yesterday (probably britains biggest hardware/diy chain) and even though I wanted to buy so many things, things I never even knew existed sometimes, I didn't spend a penny. I kept thinking about this forum. Something was nagging me to save my money and recycle tools. I'm going to try and build up from scratch with cheap stuff from eBay (I don't even know if craigslist, freecycle, etc exist in the uk). All I have now is a rusty screwdriver (the end is starting to round off), an old hammer who's head is wobbly and about to fall off and a few other things that were in the house when I bought it.

Or should I flash the plastic and buy brand new, shiny, bright coloured things with ryobi and dewalt printed on them?

No, I'm going to scrap my way there. I'll find, and make as much as I can. I bet people throw plenty of power tools away that can be fixed.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Check yard sales and auctions. I found a Home Depot card with $8 on it just the other day.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Flat head screwdrivers are (relatively) easily reshaped with a good file or grinding wheel. You can tighten that hammer head by putting a screw in the end.
    People may laugh at me, but that's ok. I laugh all the way to the bank.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    First thing I'd look into is a socket set. I use mine more than anything. Get you one with a nutdriver and some screwdriver attachments. I'm in the same boat with the lack of tools. No power tools whatsoever. But I know plenty of people that have all that. For now I just borrow peoples garages every so often.
    Eat. Sleep. Scrap.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,417 Posts
    I'm lucky to have an assortment but the one screwdriver I like has a removable shaft with a reversable bit on each side. The bits are a combo phillips/slotted and one is a little bigger. Without the bit in the shaft is acts like a 1/4 driver on one side and 5/16 on the other. Not sure on the metric conversion though but they only cost about 5 dollars and have at least 7 tools if you count using it to pry stuff.
    Recyclable Material Merchant Wholesaler
    Certified Zip-Tie Mechanic
    "Give them enough so they can do something with it, but not too much that they won't do nothing."

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 518 Posts
    Like others have said. Hit up he yard sales, auctions an ebay. CL would be a good hunting ground.

You can redo the tools you have as someone stated.

You should go an buy some simple tools to do brake down either it be used or new just know that they will pay for them selfs over an over. Try to get tools with life time guarantee where if its broken...you get a brand new one...I cant even say how many tools I cut heat/bend or used to smash something (it was in my hand an I needed it right then an well...I was being lazy lol) so I just take them back an get a nice new one.

Craftsmen tools even if you took a grinding wheel an cut the handle so you can get into this small space that no other tool will work...they will replace it free of all cost to you!!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts
    you are a metal surgon, when you are able invest in good tools, and take care of them.
    surgons dont operate with cheep scalples or bone saws for a reason, that one piece of scrap you miss because of an inadiquit tool may be enough to pay for a good tool.

I started out with a $2 walmart wire cutter took me 15 sec up to a minute to cut off thick cords ro house wireing with a lot of effort. I now have a $15 cobalt, the cut takes a fraction of a secound.
    Last edited by EcoSafe; 07-24-2011 at 11:18 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by EcoSafe:

Dawsey is offline Metal Recycling Entrepreneur
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Well I have just started and I invested in a £50 challenge toolbox from Argos and a pair of £6 wire strippers/cutters

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 6,807 Times in 1,954 Posts
    lol im an SIS scrapper believe me I have to be a surgeoon

JacksDaddy started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I took the advice I was given here and fixed what tools I could. It's surprising how many relatives and friends have good tools they dont want and spares they are looking to unload. I've saved a few £ by not buying brand new ones so I'll put that extra little bit of cash in my trailer fund. Thanks!

12. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. new tools
      By corycouch in forum Tools and Equipment
      Replies: 18
      Last Post: 06-11-2020, 07:48 AM
    2. HAZARD FRAUGHT TOOLS low-quality tools at rediculous prices
      By bluemeate in forum Tools and Equipment
      Replies: 33
      Last Post: 12-17-2015, 07:59 PM
    3. What tools?
      By tryingtoscrap in forum Tools and Equipment
      Replies: 21
      Last Post: 08-13-2014, 03:34 PM
    4. Obtaining permission for taking pictures of work being performed.
      By GeorgeB in forum Off Topic Discussions
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 05-21-2012, 10:58 PM
    5. Effective ways of obtaining scrap metal?
      By Lazarus Scrapping in forum General - Let's talk business
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 11-12-2011, 10:48 AM

Thread Information