Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red Box Machines

| Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
    NinjaGal started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Red Box Machines

How much would you charge to haul away Red Box Machine from a store location in your local area? Does anyone know what it would take to unbolt it from the ground? Would you sell it to the yard "as is" or would you take the time to scrap out the inside beforehand?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Do you get the keys with it?

As for how much to charge, how long is a piece of rope.

I would think someone would want to buy it for some project or such that would pay far more then the scrapyard would.

With DVD's going the way of the VHS tapes, is it full of movies?
    Last edited by ChildhoodDream; 04-23-2024 at 04:32 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 726 Posts
    I tend to be pretty practical minded about things. Turn & burn. Bang the job out and get to the next thing.

Red box .... it's just an obsolete vending machine. Run it to the scrap yard whole and don't waste your valuable time fussing with it.

It might be bolted down with threaded concrete lags. I would open it up and look down at the four corners on the bottom. You might be able to simply unbolt it. It might be more involved. Something where you use a sawzall or a 4" ankle grinder to cut the fasteners.

As for what to charge ? The going rate around here seems to be about $ 500.00 - 650.00 for hauling off a truckload of stuff. Sometimes it's a bit less depending on who is doing the job. It might be a day's work from the time you leave the shop till you get back. There's also the value of your truck. They're expensive to own and operate these days. Don't sell yourself short. Profit is not a dirty word.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I doubt a scrap yard would want it full of DVD's as they are mostly plastic.

About like a refrigerator full of cement blocks.

Or the fire safe.

The electronics could have value.

You would be surprised at what people do with obsolete electronic devices.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChildhoodDream View Post

You would be surprised at what people do with obsolete electronic devices.
    They turn them into sex toys ?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hills View Post
    They turn them into sex toys ?
    You are saying WHATEVER or redo.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    It was a joke CD.

I was playfully poking fun at you.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I understand VERY well what you were doing and WHY.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I'm just being straight up with you CD. NinjaGal came in asking for advise on how to do a demo job. You weren't being very helpful.

Funny story: I was down to the parts store yesterday and i ran into a friend i hadn't seen in a few years. He asked how things were going and if i liked the new job at the dump. I told him i liked it pretty well. They generally treat me good,it's steady work, the pay is decent, and the job provides health insurance.

He said: You must run into a lot of good stuff.

I replied: Yeah .... that's one of the hazards of the job.

I could explain in further detail if it helps .... but do you get the idea here ?

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I understand that people throw away "good stuff", but what's the hazard?

That you can't take it home as you don't have the time and space?

Something I learned years ago is that when many want something gone, they want it gone NOW.

And some wish later that they had held onto it.

I also learned that if you want to keep stuff for a rainy day or such that you need the room to store it and the "room" should be paid for with little funds required to keep it.

I've had my place about 39 years now and it and all that's here is paid for long ago. The taxes are not high.

I pay more for my vehicle to keep it legal and on the road.

The way I live is not for everyone, but it "works" for me.

As for the red box machine, The question of how much was like how long is a piece of rope.

I would guess the machine is locked and full of movies and whoever owns/owned it wants nothing to do with it.

Removing it would not be to hard to do, but getting rid of it would take some time and work for the most value.

If full it would need to be emptied. Then it would be on to getting it loose that should be much like you stated.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    The hazard of the job is the temptation to bring things home. It's a gradual process but over time your property becomes a junkyard. I've seen this happen soooo many times.

I've got a friend of over 40 years. A talented master mechanic. He was intending to open his own shop so he had a halfway decent two story garage built but then filled it ... and all of his outbuildings with things he had collected over the years. He never did realize his dream of becoming his own boss.

We were weaving through the trails in his shop one day trying to find a particular tool that he needed for a job. After a time he looked up at me and said : It's a sickness.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    I have watched hoarder shows and such and it seemed that most wasn't by PLAN.

I live the way that I do and collect and hoard as that's what I enjoy doing.

I have MANY hobbies and some very nice collections that are worth more then I will say.

I can sell things whenever I choose, but I prefer trading for other things I need or want.

I do well enough to keep the lights on and gas in the car as well as other things.

And have a little left over for sales and such.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Well .... what you might try to understand is that it's not all about you.

You asked about the hazard of the job. I explained that it's a people problem that is best to avoid.

Someone once said " Believe in plenty and you shall have plenty. Believe in scarcity and you shall have scarcity."

So many of those who hoard fundamentally believe in scarcity. Collecting and hoarding becomes like drinking salt water to quench their thirst. That only leads to more collecting and hoarding.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Most make plans that don't turn out the way they planed.

They put their thoughts and funding in the wrong direction.

I like to put plenty of thought into most everything.

And I get along with my self quite well.

Today I did laundry and worked around the yard on a few things. After I get off the computer I'm going to search through some pennies that I got at the bank. Have about $85 to go through still. Maybe find some that are worth a dollar or so.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Me .... i've got a busy weekend ahead at work. It's spring weather here. The days are sunny and it's energized everyone to start spring cleaning. We moved over 26 tons of trash. 3 tons of recycling, 8 tons of demo, and 15 tons of scrap metal in the past week.

Hurry, hurry, ... Go-Go-Go ! Turn-n -Burn !

The days go by fast when you're busy. I like the challenge of keeping it all in motion.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    No keys but get all the cds and videos with it.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Still trying to find out the weight of an actual kiosk. Can't find it online.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    As for keys, you can drill the locks.

As for weight I would get the information off the ID tag that has model numbers and such and google it. You might find some information on the one you have.

The electronics in it are worth more then scrap and worth taking out and selling separately.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    My personal preference for dealing with the lock would be to cut the exposed part of the lock off with a 4" angle grinder equipped with a thin cutting wheel. I would tend to guess that it's just a big sheet metal box with some mechanicals inside.

Just for the sake if getting a better idea of what it is ... try drilling a 1/8" hole in the side. That will tell you how thick the sidewall is.

If the weight or the size of it is more than you can handle .... just break it down into it's component pieces.

How does a mouse eat an elephant ? One ... bite ... at ... a ... time !

As for the electronics ? Most vending machines i've seen might have motherboard of some kind that serves as the brains of the whole operation. It's about a pound or so of computer greenboard. That's about 30 cents at your local yard if they buy them. Maybe five bucks if you ship it in to an e-waste buyer. You might clear two bucks after packaging it up and paying shipping fees. (Just not seeing a whole lot of value there.)

Afterthought: Was thinking about the lock over coffee this morning. A hole saw might work there as well. Choose a hole saw that's just a little bit bigger than the diameter of the lockface. Remove the pilot drill and just let the lock face center the hole saw. It might turn out to be easier doing it that way. Maybe a couple of minutes work ?
    Last edited by hills; Yesterday at 05:32 AM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaGal View Post
    No keys but get all the cds and videos with it.
    That's kind of a red flag. If the person hiring you to do the job doesn't have the keys then they probably aren't the owner of the machine. It's someone else's property.

21. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. ATM machines
      By Nubs1201 in forum Scrap Metal Questions and Answers
      Replies: 18
      Last Post: 03-09-2024, 06:48 PM
    2. x-ray machines
      By Rich in forum A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 07-24-2017, 03:17 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information