My little sister found me a load.

| A Day in the Life of a Scrapper
    zakmattingly started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

My little sister found me a load.

Got a call from my sister today saying she saw one of the other local scrappers picking up some stuff at the dollar store bout a mile away from home. So I went up there to see if I could get in on the action. The manager of the store happens to live right across the street from me and said she had no idea that I was even getting into scrapping. Turns out that they were giving the guy stuff that they weren't even supposed to be getting rid of yet. So now I just gotta wait a few more days for them to sort out what's going to other stores that are remodeling as well and then they're gonna get ahold of me instead of him to come and pick stuff up. Although I didn't intend on taking all of it away from the other guy I'm not complaining. This is a small town and I knew who he was and what he did. And now he's about to know about me. Let the competition begin.

Eat. Sleep. Scrap.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zakmattingly for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 904 Posts
    Lol, wtg! See, it helps to know someone and this will pay off for you!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    good going zak.....my Daddy always said, "it ain't what you know, it's WHO you know, that gets you ahead in this world." Not always true....but sure helps !!

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Turned out to be a big let down on this one. Got a call this morning from the store manager saying that it was being sorted through and to come pick stuff up. But when I got there it was the district manager that I had to deal with. At first I was told that the stuff was already spoken for by 2 people. One being a guy that came in earlier and filled his truck, probably the guy I was talking about before. And the other being a guy that came in last night asking about it. Well I told them that the guy from last night was me and for awhile got no real response. Everybody there was pretty busy and I didn't wanna push any buttons and lose my chance so I stood by and waited a moment until they were done sorting everything. Then when they took a break I spoke up again. This time I was told that they needed to leave stuff in the dumpster so they didn't get charged extra for it being picked up empty. Even though there was enough stuff in there to load up my truck 20 times they wouldn't let me get a single load. I smell bull****.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,067 Times in 953 Posts
    I'll bet that other guy is going to come by at night and empty their dumpster.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Gotta treat the competition nicely, I had a call for about 4 tons of scrap, but have nothing to move that, just not profitable using a shortbox halfton to pick it up and haul to the city with, plus still waiting on my propane tip for my cutting torch. So I passed the info of the job onto my only competition, he has a semi with a picker and has a shear back at his farm. He later called me this week and told me about a couple of old farm yards with old houses and gave me the peoples numbers. Have to to give to get in this game sometimes

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

Found A Load

I hope I'm not stepping on toes. I will say your sister did not find that load. The other scrapper did. I don't see how you are happy you under cut this guy He did the leg work. I was bought with respect and you did not respect this man nor his family. I would hate to have you as a friend. I work hard finding my scrap and leads. I know we need help sometimes but I will starve before I would do that.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ocedy for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    These more astute guys caught the implications of your find, and I must admit that I totally missed it. (Thanks esp. to ocedy.) Perhaps some clarification is in order, Zak. If you know something about the other guy that makes him "unworthy" to continue to get that stuff, then I'll have to recant my former comments and go with the majority. Looking forward to your response.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dumpster-Dee for This Post:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    agreed Dumpster Dee

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    This guy was called about the stuff because he was the only known scrapper around. Me being new and all. He did not ask what he could or could not take. Just came up and grabbed whatever. He took alot of stuff that was supposed to go to other stores. Oh yeah and he came up there in the early morning before the store was even open. The store manager is furious at him and I believe this is why the district manager wouldn't let me take anything. If I had acted as he did I would have gotten stuff too. But instead I asked to make sure what was OK. The store manager said she would've gotten ahold of me in the first place instead of him had she known I was into scrapping. She being my neighbor and all. And it's a definite for next time after what he did.

14. Similar threads on the Scrap Metal Forum

1. Okay I got my first load of E Scrap today, and I found this in a tower.
      By Kochy in forum General Electronics Recycling
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 10-01-2012, 10:09 PM

Thread Information