asking the neighborhood

| Scrap Metal Spots
    bluemeate started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks

asking the neighborhood

so my parents neighborhood seems to have no scraptrucks running around working it... wondering what would be a polite way to hit up all the neighbors for their scrap... its a 40year old middle class neighborhood filled with mostly homeowners, not renters. and as far as i can remember from when i was younger, a lot of these backyards have accumulated a decent amount of crap

Im scared to go up and ask people sittting around their front yard/garages much less go up and ring doorbells... any ideas how i should approach them? is there any sort of proper eddiquite? I figure if theres a polite way to do this, then it wont be so intimidating

oh yeah, hi, im carlos, just finished my BS in civil engineering and cant find a real job :P luckily some neighborhood tweaker introduced me and my ford ranger into the scrap game. havent been making too much money off it but i got a backyard to stockpile and live about 2 miles from sims metals. Ive also make a decent buck doing furniture deliveries off craigslist but that only seems to get me weekend work.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    my first 2 immediate thoughts are #1 dress appropriately, don't go in wearing dirty clothes, and 2nd be extremely polite and maybe start off by saying "I'm sorry I don't mean to intrude but:

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,730 Times in 4,728 Posts
    Or just go around and introduce yourself and hand them a business card. Let the card answer their questions, and it's something they can stick on the fridge.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,352 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Maybe it's just me, but why would a tweaker introduce someone to scrapping? Unless they're hoping to steal that persons scrap later.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoScrapper View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but why would a tweaker introduce someone to scrapping? Unless they're hoping to steal that persons scrap later.
    I started my biz by having an alcoholic neighbor lead me on his trash route while I was broke and living in a hotel. People need cash to support their habit. Meth costs money, so does booze. While these folks can and will steal, they usually do it as a last resort. Getting sent to jail for theft equals out to going clean by force. That being said, Tweekers and Alkies have some decent sources to score metal. Their health and sanity basically depends on it, so ya know, their sources pan out better than most experimental ideas do.

bluemeate started this thread.
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    anyone got a sample buisness card they dont mind sharing?

also is it too intrusive to knock on doors? should i just stick to those people that are chilling in their garage/front yard?

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoScrapper View Post
    his truck breaks down a lot, so he calls me up to overload mine :P
    hes a cool guy tho, basically knows every single neighbor in the whole neighborhood. half of them are his cousins, uncles, nephews

also i went to san jose state university.
    Last edited by bluemeate; 07-16-2011 at 11:00 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    sir an mam go a long ways too!

SMF Badges of Honor

Warsaw , Ind. In the heart of the lakes, and down the street from the hotel where Al Capone stayed.
    Thanks

I know the regulars here get tired of hearing it, and I get tired of typing the same thing over and over. Walmart do it yourself cards in the office section(Avery #28371) are $3.59 per hundred and you just lay them out the way you want and print them off. Get you started cheap. Later on you can spend the big money on Vistaprint.
    Last edited by Mechanic688; 07-16-2011 at 11:25 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

Re-cycler is offline Metal Recycling Entrepreneur
    SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Stop by while I'm chillin in my front yard and ask for free scrap and see what happens.
    Oh yeah ....go to church first.
    ;?)
    Last edited by Re-cycler; 07-16-2011 at 11:52 PM.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    Another possible option is to create a flyer, and put it on their doors.

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    As for me personally as a homeowner; I don't like someone cramming a flyer in my door or mailbox, I would rather have them come up and hand me a card and explain what he's trying to do. I'm much more receptive to that; the flyer I'd wipe my butt with it and throw it in the trash,,, sorry.

PS; but that's just me and my opinion.

13. The Following 2 Users say Thank You for This Post by Mechanic688:

SMF Badges of Honor

Thanks
    ha aha ha right on Kris Kringle!

Thread Information